Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
You dont get to where he has through Chelsea´s academy- and standing out at every level, without having an enourmous amount of quality

I didn't know the background at Chelsea so thanks for sharing mate.

I trust my eye though, i first saw him against us and he ripped us to shreds, couldn't believe what i was seeing and his age, he ran the show I've watched him very closely since and a lot and i think he's absolute quality, i rate him as one of the best young midfielders I've seen in a long time, he still developing and needs support with that. The loan at Norwich will be good for him to my mind, rather then him having it all his own way like he had at Chelsea - i mean he has a CL medal already, he needs to be in a side and have the experience of being under the kosh and adversity, which he now has. He's only going to get better and if there is an opportunity for us given his contract/Lamapard circumstances and while he is on the way up id grab it both hands .

The "problem" I have with people bigging up Lampard / Chelsea links is it really can only work once. We could probably get Gilmour as he's a year left but you'd have to figure out from there what we could get from them. We are only allowed one (1) loan from a PL club at a time. That's why I was thinking maybe we could do something a bit dodgy and "buy" Broja or Gallagher for 20m and have a mandatory buyback option from Chelsea for about the same amount? I dunno but we aren't getting 4 players from Chelsea.
You're right.

I could see 1 loan and 1 purchase.

Take your pick from Gilmour , Loftus Cheek , Broja and Barkley. I'd love Gallagher but think he will at least be on Chelsea's bench.

If we have the funds ( after sales ) to bring in a couple more then I'd take Gilmour for a low fee ( say £10m ) and Broja on loan with an option to buy.

Well maybe not but then the point should be: we can't sign 4 players. What club they play for has no relevance.
it kind of does when it's a club that doesn't need to sell their players that often. And we can sign 4 players but we absolutely do not have the money to buy Broja Gallagher and Ampadu. That's completely out of our range.

Billy Gilmour has the potential to be a Sheedy as much as he does a Darron Gibson in so far as signing reserves from a sky 6 club goes IMO.
I'd be ok with Darron Gibson if it was this version:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I didnt see the match Gilmour played in, but the evidence is there that he has the potential to be a really good player, despite having a bad season.

You dont make it into Chelsea´s first team at that age, and stand out a number of times, without having some sort of calibre. You just wouldnt make it to even train with the first team...

I think that its more likely he has a good career at the top level rather than not to be honest, even if his confidence took a battering and he didnt play well in one of the worst sides the league has ever seen.
Anyone who becomes a professional footballer is a very good player. Anyone who becomes a PL footballer even more so. That doesn't necessarily mean you've got the game to really push on and excel at that level though. Lots of players get to the fringes of the top sides but don't quite make it there, not all of them go on to be particularly successful elsewhere.

None of that is to say Gilmour won't do it. I haven't seen enough of him to judge to be honest. I just think @EFC_FRANCIS is making a fair point, him having stood out in a couple of games as a youngster doesn't necessarily mean he's going to be a star.

Not dismissing it, but I'd add a couple of caveats

Firstly, given that we are talking about the 7th worst side in the history of the Premier League, it's probably fair to say that shining in the heart of that side might not be the easiest thing in the world

Secondly, I think it's also unfair to suggest that he was terrible the whole season. He struggled at times, absolutely, but there were some good games and certainly plenty of flashes in a number of games of the quality he has

Not generally a huge fan of YouTube highlights, but it's sort of illustrative of my 2nd point

I know it's a highlights reel, but in the first 5 clips he did more attacking intent passing than almost all our midfield (combined) last season.

I'd be ok with Darron Gibson if it was this version:

giphy-downsized-large.gif
Exactly. Gibson had a terrific 12-18 months here and then fell into all the trappings that stopped him becoming Man Us long term succesor to Scholes.

Gilmour will definitely have a good spell if he came here, it's how long that will last I'd question.

Exactly. Gibson had a terrific 12-18 months here and then fell into all the trappings that stopped him becoming Man Us long term succesor to Scholes.

Gilmour will definitely have a good spell if he came here, it's how long that will last I'd question.
He was always a boozer even at United... shameful waste of talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back