Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read between the lines on that and see it as Mourinho saying Mata will have to submit a transfer request to leave.

He's hardly gave him a ringing endorsement has he?

"It was his decision and I don't like players who want to leave. If a player doesn't want to be with us, goodbye".

He clearly can't stand him. That doesn't mean he's joining us but he'll only play a handful of games if he stays.

I can't claim to have watched Swansea every week, but Sigurdsson has always stood out for them when I have. Both technically and physically he's a really good player. Plus, as much as someone like Mata might be a more eye-catching purchase, there's a perception of 'stepping down' if he was to move here, while for Sigurdsson it would be stepping up (hi @BrianSwan). You have to wonder to what extent Mata's heart would be in it, while you can tell by watching Sigurdsson that wouldn't be a concern.

One of the comments that I found interesting in Steve Walsh's interview on his process just before Leicester won the title was how there were several players at other clubs that he had already identified as having the right 'character', who he would sign in a heartbeat if needed. Character was the reason Leicester ended up producing arguably the biggest shock in English football history last season, and the right blend characters is certainly what will be important for us if we're planning to recruit several new players and push for Champion's League qualification. This is why, as much as it's exciting to speculate, players like Witsel and Mata didn't overly enthuse me: good players, sure, but not ones you could imagine fighting for the badge every week.

Maybe we'll sign both and I'll be totally incorrect (more than happy to be), but Sigurdsson would be a much more appealing transfer for me. People have already said he flopped at Spurs but that's not quite the story. He played regularly for them over two seasons, but in his second year was more often shunted out wide to accommodate Eriksen. No shame in that, and he showed no ego in returning to Swansea to rebuild his career when it didn't work out. If both Walsh and Koeman had identified him as a target for their respective clubs he seems like something of a no-brainer. £25m, while being a lot of money, isn't really out of line with what's happening in the Premier League this summer.

Agreed, and I've said so in the past, and indeed I've said it twice today too.

Which is why I said either Esk misjudged the situation, or his source over-egged it, or the whole thing is fake. It can only be one of those three outcomes, because otherwise the information would be true and the announcement would have been made.

What you believe is that the source over-egged it, because the situation changed, meaning that Witsel wasn't "ours".

I don't think we are at odds here mate but we simply cant know that one way or another to actually say it was over egged, misjudged or right/wrong. it is not that clear cut.

Imagine the source is the magical transfer fax operator at Finch Farm who picks up the fax from Witsels arl fella saying our Al is back off his jollies in a couple of days and he will seal the deal then.

The previously reliable source passes that to the ITK.

The ITK mulls it over, whacks it onto GOT - commence Operation GOT meltdown - everyone is happy. A reasonable judgement is made, the info as it stands is shared and we are dancing in the GOT streets.

2 days later as the big day approaches its all gone quiet - dad is touting him around other countries to get more cash or a bigger pool etc. The situation has changed. That is all !

The info was sound, the judgement was sound, the decision to share the info was made - all good so far.

The situation changes - fumefest, knives out, thread bickering, name calling, bullying etc etc etc.........

When all that happened was the situation changed - that's all!

@The Esk has well and truly become the best WUM on this forum, not only did he fool us all, he managed to keep it going for weeks. You know whats the most impressive part of the whole act ? He did it without having to put the word 'blue' in his username !

Great job Esk ;)

(We are still getting Mata though right ?)

Don't want sigurdsson.
Good player but he is very much a "meh" signing! Someone i feel we could of attracted here before Moshiri.
After being linked with shiny players like Mata, Witsel, Carvalho, Leno etc
Id be a little dissapointed if we ended up with Begovic & Sigurdsson

That's exactly what it was. He knows that Mata is popular with a large chunk of the United support and doesn't want to upset them too early.

Sounded as though he was saying he'll offer Mata what he did at Chelsea, can't guarantee him first team and he won't be surprised if Mata reacts the way he did at Chelsea by looking for a move for first team football.

Is it me or have The Express and The Telegraph become almost red top tabloid like with their gossip-ness this window with literally no basis for their words?

There's about 4 decent journalists in the entire country mate, seriously the standard is going down all the time

@The Esk has well and truly become the best WUM on this forum, not only did he fool us all, he managed to keep it going for weeks. You know whats the most impressive part of the whole act ? He did it without having to put the word 'blue' in his username !

Great job Esk ;)

(We are still getting Mata though right ?)
giphy.gif

Literally just a rumour plucked out of thin air by a bored journalist. Getting incredibly tedious all of this

Walsh and Koeman have both tried to sign him in the past apparently, join the dots journalism, with i believe anyway nothing more than a speculative punt by the journalist

Sounded as though he was saying he'll offer Mata what he did at Chelsea, can't guarantee him first team and he won't be surprised if Mata reacts the way he did at Chelsea by looking for a move for first team football.
Exactly. Plus, he's hardly likely to say "I want to get rid." That's how you get lowballed with the transfer fee.

Seen the links come up for Sigordson and Sissokho and I hope it's just agents talk. If we are seriously in for them, at the prices being quoted I do worry we are falling into an obvious trap of spending lots of money on decent players that operate in our league.

For 35 million we do need to be patient and try to find lads who can radically improve us (I think Carvalho would). Likewise with Sigordson when you look at his stats he is not as good as Barkley or even Deulofeu if he played most of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back