Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Erikson was playing in his favoured position at Spurs (no.10) he is a very good player in that position. I agree mata is a better player, but what if he doesn't want to come here? Even with moshiri's money we are finding it difficult to attract top players due to no European football. Sigurdson would be a definite upgrade on what we currently have in that position, even if he isn't a 'world beater'.

Klopp came out and said he can't make big name signings due to no European football, same must apply to us tbf

In a much, much, much better team, surrounded by world class players.

Can only imagine how good Gylffi would be with Barkley, Deulofeu, Lukaku and others around him ...

Mate his best two seasons production wise he was playing with utter dross up front at Chelsea

also thinking he'd go to another club with better players and instantly become more productive doesnt always (or often) work out that way, is he a good player - yup, is mata at anothe rlevel to him - IMO anyway yes

Over the past 8 years, Sigurdsson has scored 64 goals in 177 starts (1 goal / 2.8 games); Mata has scored 81 in 256 (1 goal / 3.2 games). Sigurdsson is 18 months younger than Mata, and would jump at the chance to move to a better club. Joining Everton would not represent the same opportunity for Mata. Sigurdsson is over 6 inches taller and 10kg heavier than Mata so would be much more of a physical presence. The only thing I can think where I cannot separate them is that they are both excellent professionals. Also signing Sigurdsson over Mata would mean we don't have to explode our wage structure, as he won't be demanding to be top earner or even on parity with the likes of Lukaku. 25m is a huge fee, but we've seen what's been banded around already this summer - 15m for Jordan Ibe, Watford rejecting 35m for Troy Deeney. It's a complete no brainer if we can sign him for 20/25m.

I don't think we are at odds here mate but we simply cant know that one way or another to actually say it was over egged, misjudged or right/wrong. it is not that clear cut.

Imagine the source is the magical transfer fax operator at Finch Farm who picks up the fax from Witsels arl fella saying our Al is back off his jollies in a couple of days and he will seal the deal then.

The previously reliable source passes that to the ITK.

The ITK mulls it over, whacks it onto GOT - commence Operation GOT meltdown - everyone is happy. A reasonable judgement is made, the info as it stands is shared and we are dancing in the GOT streets.

2 days later as the big day approaches its all gone quiet - dad is touting him around other countries to get more cash or a bigger pool etc. The situation has changed. That is all !

The info was sound, the judgement was sound, the decision to share the info was made - all good so far.

The situation changes - fumefest, knives out, thread bickering, name calling, bullying etc etc etc.........

When all that happened was the situation changed - that's all!

Great. So don't say "Witsel is ours", when Witsel wasn't ours. That is simply incorrect, because if Witsel was ours, then the situation is closed.

Not really sure what part of that is contentious. I don't have a problem with "maybe some news tomorrow", even if I do firmly believe they shouldn't say that as it means absolutely nothing, but when making definitive statements you need to be sure it's correct.

So again, by saying "Witsel is ours", either Esk misjudged the source, or the source over-egged it, or Esk is a fake. There is no "situation has changed" with that one.

There's levels in football and Siggurdson to me isn't above anything we have already.

Mata on the other hand would become our best player straight away.

Only a opinion but to me this is the type of player I would have expected to go for if we hadn't had Morshiri

This

People crying "I expected bigger signings than this"..."hardly the marquee signing I was expecting.."

If we sign him, it would just be a good signing, not our only one and not our biggest one either.

Chill out man, sound like spoilt brats

Well the article linking him does say we see him as a 'marquee' signing, which to me indicates he would be if the club had any input in what was wrote.
If this is the case then I would be underwhelmed, Sigurdsson is a decent player but not the statement signing we need to attract quality.

Over the past 8 years, Sigurdsson has scored 64 goals in 177 starts (1 goal / 2.8 games); Mata has scored 81 in 256 (1 goal / 3.2 games). Sigurdsson is 18 months younger than Mata, and would jump at the chance to move to a better club. Joining Everton would not represent the same opportunity for Mata. Sigurdsson is over 6 inches taller and 10kg heavier than Mata so would be much more of a physical presence. The only thing I can think where I cannot separate them is that they are both excellent professionals. Also signing Sigurdsson over Mata would mean we don't have to explode our wage structure, as he won't be demanding to be top earner or even on parity with the likes of Lukaku. 25m is a huge fee, but we've seen what's been banded around already this summer - 15m for Jordan Ibe, Watford rejecting 35m for Troy Deeney. It's a complete no brainer if we can sign him for 20/25m.

Aye those stats are slightly misleading though mate, as about 18 of Siggurdsons was scored in the Championship, whilst mata at the same time was scoring in the spanish top flight, also for a number 10 - how much they create is almost the primary factor, and Mata is miles ahead of him on those stats

BTW, would love us to sign the lad, but i won't try to pretend to myself he is better than Mata - when honestly he isn't

the way i see it. Mata is miles better than sigurdsson. Signing mata would be signing a top player.

If we can't convince top players to sign for us then siggurdson represents the next level down, great premiership players. Not going to light the pitch up or win player of the season but can come into a team and do well, play their role and score some goals when he needs to.

If 11th placed everton can't convince better players to come here then next best thing is this lad.

In recent times... Martial, Rooney, Schweinsteiger, Carrick. Bit better than Routledge, Emnes, Britton and Cork. Maybe not 'world class', but a darn sight better than what Sigurdsson has been able to play with.

Agree Mata has played with better players than Sigurdsson.

Saying that though, if Mata went to Swansea, automatically they would become a much better team because Mata is top class.

If we could keep Stones and Lukaku (it's a given that Barkley will stay) and add Sigurdsson, a real good goalkeeper plus one or two others, we'll be so much more better than last season it's not even funny. That said, if City offer 50m for Stones we have to sell and get 3 further top end players in who'll push us on that bit quicker. Also don't forget to free ourselves of Kone, Niasse and Kone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back