Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's time to be truly honest... It's been an horrific pre season.

I can't think of one exciting thing to happen to us, even the koeman appointment and Walsh were a come down from Jose, emery and monchi.

We have signed dross and made no movement on a stadium.

This is the most depressed I've gone into a new season for a long time

......I think there's a timeline factor at play here. I believe we have genuine ambition to bring in our key (expensive) targets but none have been captured to this point and with the season fast approaching there is a need to bring some personnel in.

Which in my eyes means someone at the club has seriously misjudged what it would take to get the people we want and that's as bad as not even trying really mate.

We simply aren't apparently willing to pay what it would take to get them to overcome their doubts, and trust me if we did offer enough they will have signed, good business sense not to - maybe, exactly the opposite of what we are supposed to have set as our aims - yup, because if our aim is to bridge that gap it won';t happen without improving the players dramatically.

More signs we are 'downgrading' on targets IMO

Carvalho interest and bid becomes Gueye signing (a saving of 20m)
Stones being sold and replaced with Koulibaly becomes Stones sold and replaced with Kone (a saving of 30m)
Stekelenberg coming in as backup with Hart/Cillesen/Smeichel etc signed, looks more likely to become we go with him as number 1 due to his 'impressive' pre season and no keeper signed (a saving of 10-20m)

Would give us a keeper from Fulham
A cm from Villa
and a cb from Sunderland
and a cb from Swansea (if he signs)

as our 4 signings thus far, hardly marquee, hardly making a statement (well it does but not the statement intended)

Meanwhilst the ghost of Witsels past, the spectre of Mata and various other ridicuolous styories about Draxler (and probably any other massive name that comes available) will be linked and thrown about, and we will wait and see.

Yes we are taking the better players off very very bad teams - and maybe players who flopped when theyb where the best on bad teams and stepped up to a good team (like Bony will be)

But optimism of us going out and making people sit up and take notice has rapidly evaporated for me, not one of the players signed or likely to sign at this moment is anything better than we signed under Kenwright which is alarmingh, and all of the 'likely' transfers (Gueye - 7m, Williams -12m, Kone - 17m? and Bony -15m?) would ammount to about what we will have sold Stones for...

Time to put up or shut up about our ambitions from Moshiri if he has the ambition he is supposed to have, you don't get diddly squat for 'trying to do soemthing' only if you do it
You replace quality with quality. If we sold stones for 50m, koulibaly and williams should be his replacement. You are replacing like for like quality wise. If we are unable to replace quality with quality, then stones shouldn't be sold, as we are only weakening the side. We shouldn't downgrade and accept lesser quality 'Kone'.

Definite job of lowering expectations going on in last few days. They can't deliver on their promises and should speak honestly to the club. Martinez said he'd get 4th. Moshiri says we'll mix with the elites. Empty hollow words.

Nothing will be the same - was taken by nearly everyone to mean we would finally see serious investment on the playing side - christ they used it to get the season ticket sales up which is evidence on that, people dont buy a season ticket due to a new stadium rpogressing or hiring a head scout from leicester.

Right now that marketing line is going to be as embarreassing as the 'we go the game' one was

You replace quality with quality. If we sold stones for 50m, koulibaly and williams should be his replacement. You are replacing like for like quality wise. If we are unable to replace quality with quality, then stones shouldn't be sold, as we are only weakening the side. We shouldn't downgrade and accept lesser quality 'Kone'.

Yup otherwsie the Stones sale - effectively is being used to spend elsewhere on the squad, which lends the question as to is he being sold directly to pay for other areas that need it

I assume you all do realise these are newspapers linking us players like Kone. We have been linked with dozens of player this window in the papers, the overwhelming majority of these links are fanciful at best.

So far, we have signed Stekelenburg ,Gueye and bid for Williams. I don't believe any of those were mentioned anywhere until reported on SKY.

I have no doubt we have bids made for lots of players, some would be considered marquee , other not.

It does seem that players like Witsel are confident in their own drawing power that they can wait , assess the offers and then decide where to go. I think players look at the 31st August rather than the start of the league as decision day.

I think some people need to get a grip of reality.

I'd rather take small steps and spend slowly, getting the correct players - than become like Liverpool and spend £80+ million each year on useless players who are sold or dropped within the space of a year. The money is clearly there, and we are looking at people.

Gueye came out of nowhere and I'm sure there are other negotiations in progress which we don't know about.

Yes it would have been nice to get people in before the Season, but aslong as we get a few good signings before the transfer window shuts, I don't see the problem.

Once again, Everton have a managed to dampen expectation. I don't even know what expectations i had, only that I thought we would have signed a few more players a bit earlier. All very frustrating.

I think some people need to get a grip of reality.

I'd rather take small steps and spend slowly, getting the correct players - than become like Liverpool and spend £80+ million each year on useless players who are sold or dropped within the space of a year. The money is clearly there, and we are looking at people.

Gueye came out of nowhere and I'm sure there are other negotiations in progress which we don't know about.

Yes it would have been nice to get people in before the Season, but aslong as we get a few good signings before the transfer window shuts, I don't see the problem.

Have a gold star mate, too many heads wobbling all over the place.

Solid foundations need putting in first, rather than spunking money on mercenaries and their agents.

More signs we are 'downgrading' on targets IMO

Carvalho interest and bid becomes Gueye signing (a saving of 20m)
Stones being sold and replaced with Koulibaly becomes Stones sold and replaced with Kone (a saving of 30m)
Stekelenberg coming in as backup with Hart/Cillesen/Smeichel etc signed, looks more likely to become we go with him as number 1 due to his 'impressive' pre season and no keeper signed (a saving of 10-20m)

Would give us a keeper from Fulham
A cm from Villa
and a cb from Sunderland
and a cb from Swansea (if he signs)

as our 4 signings thus far, hardly marquee, hardly making a statement (well it does but not the statement intended)

Meanwhilst the ghost of Witsels past, the spectre of Mata and various other ridicuolous styories about Draxler (and probably any other massive name that comes available) will be linked and thrown about, and we will wait and see.

Yes we are taking the better players off very very bad teams - and maybe players who flopped when theyb where the best on bad teams and stepped up to a good team (like Bony will be)

But optimism of us going out and making people sit up and take notice has rapidly evaporated for me, not one of the players signed or likely to sign at this moment is anything better than we signed under Kenwright which is alarmingh, and all of the 'likely' transfers (Gueye - 7m, Williams -12m, Kone - 17m? and Bony -15m?) would ammount to about what we will have sold Stones for...

Time to put up or shut up about our ambitions from Moshiri if he has the ambition he is supposed to have, you don't get diddly squat for 'trying to do soemthing' only if you do it

Similar echoes to when Peter Johnston took over in 1994. We were linked with Ferdinand, Sutton, Dahlin, had a few farcical transfer failures (Muller) before landing Amokachi based on a half decent World Cup.

We have again appeared to have lofty transfer ambition but as yet nothing has materialised. There is still time though and if it means a potential shaky start then that is sadly the reality. The season is long.

94/95 went for nightmare to fairytale and by the following summer we signed Kanchelskis and had the FA Cup in the cabinet, so I will not be panicking just yet.

......I think there's a timeline factor at play here. I believe we have genuine ambition to bring in our key (expensive) targets but none have been captured to this point and with the season fast approaching there is a need to bring some personnel in.

Agreed. I think we may need to compromise somewhat on at least some targets, otherwise we run the risk of ending the window in a very underwhelming fashion. For a club in our position with a host of new personnel, and following successive horrific seasons, creating and building momentum is key. We are struggling to do that so nervousness and frustration filters right through to the players on the pitch, and consequently there is low morale when we were all expecting the opposite. We can't allow the month to end in a morass of apathy and an "I told you so" attitude. Rival supporters and the media are expecting Everton to flatter to deceive / fail once again. It's what we do unfortunately.

It's like high-stakes poker this, but we haven't been successful with transfers up to now. I'm skeptical that things will all fall into place in the last week of August, and Witsel, Koulibaly, etc will be ordering their agents to make that phone call. That's not to accuse the club of a lack of effort or ambition, absolutely not, but I hope someone realises that the trend so far isn't exactly very encouraging, and that we start to look at alternatives more seriously, and indeed sign some of them. We do need to see a change of emphasis in our transfer policy this week, a tactical withdrawal, a re-focusing, call it what you like. I have no doubt that the decision makers at the club are at the very least, aware of this too, whether they act on it is another thing.

I don't believe the current squad as a whole is anywhere near good enough, perhaps we should be concentrating more initially on ensuring we can complete for EL places and set a target of 6th, which is achievable but difficult. As I wrote yesterday, it should be possible to sign players in certain areas who are sufficiently better than what we have. We can then stabilise and solidify and perhaps in 12 months we feel like a club on the up again and can attract whatever equivalent to Witsel is in the offing then. Koeman secured successive and very impressive improvements in final standings for Southampton when he was used to shopping in a very modest market. In fact, he excelled at it. We could do worse, at least initially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back