Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure in that instance there would be no doubt.

The problem is none of us has that insight, because we're not Everton's accounting team or Farhad Moshiri himself. So that means we can only go on what we have - and that is completed transfers and the timing of them.

And while you may say you have an understanding of Everton's finances due to sources, I'm not going to take your word on that on face value, even though I like you. Because I've seen nothing to justify putting that faith in what you're saying as of right now.

Shall I do 1 of my special accounting breakdowns tubes?

The bench in the last game looked far more impressive than last seasons. Yes many of the same players are with us, but if they play a better game isn't that beneficial to us instead of having to replace a whole squad. I don't know what you expect from Koeman or Morshiri, but I don't expect a quick fix. Right now by what I am seeing, yes I am happy and I'm not going to start sticking the knife in before anybody has been given a chance.

Agreed.

@dholiday

Team that played in RM's last match (penultimate game of the season):

Robles

Pennington
Stones
Mori
Baines

Barry
McCarthy

Cleverley
Barkley
Mirallas

Lukaku

Gibson
Oviedo
Lennon
Niasse
Besic
Osman
Howard

Team from Saturday:

Stek

McCarthy
Holgate
Jagielka
Mori
Baines

Barry
Gueye
Barkley

Mirallas
Deulofeu

Lukaku
Lennon
Bolasie
Williams
Robles
Cleverley
Oviedo

The bench in the last game looked far more impressive than last seasons. Yes many of the same players are with us, but if they play a better game isn't that beneficial to us instead of having to replace a whole squad. I don't know what you expect from Koeman or Morshiri, but I don't expect a quick fix. Right now by what I am seeing, yes I am happy and I'm not going to start sticking the knife in before anybody has been given a chance.

I'm not sticking the knife in, baz...but neither am I blindly believing we are better off now than under Martinez (or indeed under Moyes). Koeman has a lot to prove (as manager) and so does Mosh.

First point - who have we lost?

Howard, Pienaar, Osman, Stones, Hibbert. Only one of those was a first-team starter by the end of last season. None of the others contributed anything last term. We've replaced them with Stekelenburg, Gueye, Bolasie and Williams - all of whom have improved us. Quality not quantity.

Second point. We will make more signings. Again you're acting like the window has finished. Koeman said in his pre-match WBA presser he wanted to also give the squad as much time as possible before fully deciding which positions to be prioritised.

Third point, please, stop being ridiculous.

1) We don't know if they've improved us until much of the season has passed (the new signings aren't established top players after all). And the players we lost were a first-team fixture for a decade. They need replacing with players capable of same.

2) blind faith vs realism

3) blind faith tends to be the more ridiculous belief system

Agreed.

@dholiday

Team that played in RM's last match (penultimate game of the season):

Robles

Pennington
Stones
Mori
Baines

Barry
McCarthy

Cleverley
Barkley
Mirallas

Lukaku

Gibson
Oviedo
Lennon
Niasse
Besic
Osman
Howard

Team from Saturday:

Stek

McCarthy
Holgate
Jagielka
Mori
Baines

Barry
Gueye
Barkley

Mirallas
Deulofeu

Lukaku
Lennon
Bolasie
Williams
Robles
Cleverley
Oviedo

@Zatara

Probably banking on Bolasie and Williams to somehow shoot us up the league, finish in a much more respectable position and thus be more attractive to potential players this time next year. Problem with that, of course, is that without further new players we'll end up about mid-table again.
Im not sure we will. We have a stronger squad now, a stronger coaching team, and a real manager. Even without reinforcements this summer, Im sure we would still climb the table, and end up a lot closer to the top 5. If we manage to add a few high end players during these last transfer days, I wouldnt be surprised if we're in the top 5 mix come may.

We need to change that then. Surely as a player, you would want the manager of the club that's bidding for you to speak to you personally. Also I think Koeman would have a better chance at convincing players to sign due to his reputation, than 2 men that nobody has heard of.

You think nobody has heard of Steve Walsh and Bill Kenwright? Wow! Just wow !

We have bought ok, not what we were expecting but it is what it is. The fact remains we still need further additions as we are light in certain areas, especially up front. I'm concerned about this and it needs sorting asap.

I'm not sticking the knife in, baz...but neither am I blindly believing we are better off now than under Martinez (or indeed under Moyes). Koeman has a lot to prove (as manager) and so does Mosh.

1) We don't know if they've improved us until much of the season has passed. And the players we lost were a first-team fixture for a decade. They need replacing with players capable of same.

2) blind faith vs realism

3) blind faith tends to be the more ridiculous belief system

Neither are blind faith.

Stekelenburg - better than Howard (i.e. improved)
Williams - we needed an organiser and a better defender (improved)
Gueye - for how Koeman wants to play we needed a hassler and harrier in midfield (improved)
Bolasie - we now have a strong, powerful and rapid winger, who offers something different (improved)

I'm going to presume you mean downgrading from those we are linked with to those we signed and not from last year to this?
We are not going to go directly from cleverly playing wide to Hazard, it has to go from Cleverly - Bolaisse - Ghezzel - Hazard. That of course is an example but we are probably looking at 4 windows minimum before RK has anywhere near the type of squad he desires. We have waited this long a couple of more years won't kill us

the problem with that system is that it depends on success to work. Otherwise we are just treading water selling these better players and looking elsewhere over and over, a little bit like liverpool to that extent. Not attracting the players they want but signing decent ones who then move upwards.

In a perfect world yes we go on and get european football this season, then all of this has been a success. But Gueye aside i can't see any other signing with anything other than a short term fix in mind. If it works and we can afford it then it is the right decision to do, not arguing against it if it is what takes us up there.

Can't force players to sign mate, who bids when there is no money ?

We have bid on lots of players, why do that if were skint not to mention who have signed already

For one, us. Alan Shearer?

I agree with you 100% that we have made all of our purchases so far from crap football clubs. That's a fact as you have repeatedly said.

However each of the players purchased have improved our starting 11 (even if the GK wasn't originally intended to be a starter). Stekelenburg has already saved (or won) us 3 points in the first 2 games alone. 2 or 3 of his saves have been De Gea like in their brilliance. Williams is the type of defensive organiser/leader we have been crying out for. Gueye has exceeded all my expectations and Bolasie is just a beast. He's in my top 5 players I hate playing against.

You act as if we haven't bought anybody at all, but we have definitely improved our starting 11 and, to date, at no cost to the club.

Add to that a manager who seems to know what he's doing, a much fitter squad and an apparently sounder defensive set up, and we're in a much better position than we were 6 months ago.

Like everybody else I'm hoping we get 3/4 more signings in before the window shuts, but quite honestly I don't give a damn whether they are perceived "status" signings if they are of the same quality as those brought in already.

To what extent is better squad managing proving to be the catalyst rather than the individual player? Bolaisi for example isnt a top signing, but could prove to be value for money in our system. Sum of the parts spring to mind. But yeah, are the improvements realisitically so far just down to who we have signed, or the fact the squad overall looks better balanced so therefore stronger over the course of a season?

I don't mind signing all thse gueye type players if it improves the squad, i always said that was the key point, and why we hired koeman to do it.

Jesus Christ. Ash for your own good walk away from all this stuff til Sept 1 and then if things are still all doom and gloom to you then come back and start dropping bombs.

What scenario is this you keep referring to? the one where we buy players from teams relegated or below us? The reality? You are making out i have spun a story here yet i have only stated the facts of what is happening right now. In fact most of your argument against me is actually fantasy of 'oh we will still buy, don't worry etc'. Is that not creating a fantasy?

It's the way you flippantly throw figures around like our net spend. You are like @Ashtonian creating scenarios in your head then passing them off as fact.

as above, i am only stating what has happened, you are creating the what if scenario.

Are you serious?

Tell you what, if I'm so wrong on this, you tell me the correct figures. Was Osman earning a Mars bar a week or something?

They are reasonable approximations. The overall point being that we do not have a significant net spend, even if you take new player wages into account. Again, how the hell is this up for debate?
Crickets.jpg

I have to say, you do seem a little obsessive mate.

Also, I personally thought it was clear that Esk's information was with his "moderator hat off" mode, but maybe that's just the way I understood it.

Maybe lay off a little?
Don't worry, it's been made clear that if I upset him I will be banned from the site. So I'll try my best to not mention him or his information again. As he has such prominent sway over this thread though it makes any worthwhile contribution difficult to say the least.

Where does it say that his posts are with his moderator hat off? It doesn't anywhere. Any new visitors to the site can only assume that he is stating the official position of GOT.

lol

We have a negative (or at the very least close to negative) net spend mate - that's a fact. We haven't splashed the cash by any definition you care to invent.

Why is this up for debate?

Look, Stones (£40k), Howard (£70k), Pienaar (£60k), Osman (£40-50k), Hibbert (£25k) - all approximates, but all off the books - unless you believe for some reason that Gueye, Bolasie, Williams and Stekelenberg are earning in excess of double or triple those wages, then we do not have a significant net spend.

Martinez pay off, Compo to Southampton, compo to Leicester, Barkley new deal, potential Lukaku deal, Several youngsters new deals all wipe out those wage savings pretty quickly.

Also if I'm not mistaken we have spent about £5m more than we brought in.

In: £45m (Stek £1m , Gueye £7.1m, Williams £12m, Bolasie £25m)
Out: £40.5m (Stones £47.5m - Barnsleys reported £7m)

Martinez pay off, Compo to Southampton, compo to Leicester, Barkley new deal, potential Lukaku deal, Several youngsters new deals all wipe out those wage savings pretty quickly.

Also if I'm not mistaken we have spent about £5m more than we brought in.

In: £45m (Stek £1m , Gueye £7.1m, Williams £12m, Bolasie £25m)
Out: £40.5m (Stones £47.5m - Barnsleys reported £7m)

Fair enough. Still doesn't really represent any significant outlay to me. As in we haven't dented the TV money yet.

I'm just urging caution based on looking at facts, instead of the words of an owner who hasn't earned my trust yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back