Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets face it, any of you being negative at this point, completely unwilling to wait 8 more days to spout why the sky is falling are WUM's and you know it. You know it, because when September 1st roles around and we do have a positive spend, you wont apologize, admit you were wrong, or be quiet the next window. Its not about that, you just love complaining about everything in life. I mean seriously, how hard is it to wait 8 days, when you can then moan to your hearts delight every day for a year?

No, because being a WUM is more fun, especially when you can claim things like "we dont have the funds"(despite things like Witsel's agent saying our offer is "concrete"), our team is worse than it was before(despite the 4 points we picked up when you whined we would be destroyed our first games without new signings), and that buying a player in the last week is a "panic buy"(despite Wayne Rooney, Suarez, Lloris, Fellani all being deadline day deals).

Maybe try being happy for your own sakes? Crazy, I know.

Or or... I'm wary instead of blindly expecting something to happen that hasn't happened yet, without actually saying it won't happen?

You know, instead of that absolute manure you've just typed?

Do you think Ghezzal and Brahimi know who they are, probabaly not. I bet Jagielka/Bolasie couldnt tell you who Lyon's or Porto's president and Director of football are off the top of their heads

The point i'm trying to make is that the personal touch from a very famous and world class ex player would surely go a long way when you are selling the club to a player.

yes, and at the right stage Koeman will get involved in negotiations.

Why are we debating whether the side is stronger? Of course it is. That's not the point.

So you think that the 'point' is that we haven't got a massive positive net spend? You and many others are still falling into the trap of believing that success is measured by 'net spend' and nothing else. Maybe its a problem of esteem inherent in some posters, I don't know, but you don't get points for spending the most money. Leicester didn't spend the most money last year...the clubs that did were scattered through the top half of the table, but that's all. Tell you what, lets forget the football, and just give the league title to the club that has the biggest credit on their bank account? That's not such a long stretch in credibility from what youre saying. Apart from the last two Martinez seasons, we regularly finished top six or thereabouts,or above, even with a dull,limited manager, because despite our lack of spending power the team that we put on the pitch was better than many who had spent millions.
The future for Everton is very bright, we are moving in the right direction, and there is very little to complain about at present. This can be seen by the desperation of the usual suspects, as they try to pick holes in something which is basically good.

I think RK will do a good job but if RM has taught us anything, it's definitely consistency. RK will get nowhere near what RM did in his first season but hopefully over the second, third we will see RK deliver what we hoped Martinez would do. Hopefully by the third we will be around top 4-6 and we will know about the stadium and will be deeply into the 'project'.

bit of a comedown from "we're back playing with the big boys" guff.

You're saying the second-choice Saints keeper is better than our USA number one who was our first-choice keep for 10 years...based on two games? Howard needed to go after the 2014 World Cup and even Joel was an improvement on 2016-Howard, but Tim was a prime fixture during our best-of-the-rest years. Stek has a hell of a lot to prove until we can say he's better than that.

I like Williams and agree with your points, but he still needs a run of games in our shirt to really show us what he can do.

Gana, also agree with your wider point but he came from the worst-relegated club in living memory. Time will tell if he'll be good for us. Early signs are positive.

Bolasie: he's only just joined, and hardly set the Prem on fire playing for a middling yoyo club. Lot to prove, we can't say yet if he'll be an improvement on a peak-era Pienaar or Osman.

We weren't replacing any of these players at their peak we were replacing the 2015-16 versions

We weren't replacing any of these players at their peak we were replacing the 2015-16 versions

Any new addition is an improvement over aged long-past-their-peak retired players, even youth promotions would be.

But we're not looking for that, we're looking to be better than we have been during the Moyes and Martinez eras.

Are we not?

You're saying the second-choice Saints keeper is better than our USA number one who was our first-choice keep for 10 years...based on two games? Howard needed to go after the 2014 World Cup and even Joel was an improvement on 2016-Howard, but Tim was a prime fixture during our best-of-the-rest years. Stek has a hell of a lot to prove until we can say he's better than that.

I like Williams and agree with your points, but he still needs a run of games in our shirt to really show us what he can do.

Gana, also agree with your wider point but he came from the worst-relegated club in living memory. Time will tell if he'll be good for us. Early signs are positive.

Bolasie: he's only just joined, and hardly set the Prem on fire playing for a middling yoyo club. Lot to prove, we can't say yet if he'll be an improvement on a peak-era Pienaar or Osman.

No. I'm saying that a keeper who has played at Ajax, Roma and in a world-cup final (despite being second choice at S'ton last term) is currently better than Howard is now or was for the last two seasons. It's an improvement. I'm not slating Howard based on his 06-13 form, far from it.

And same applied to the Pienaar/Osman comments.

Bolasie has improved the squad from LAST season. Not from four/five years ago...

At the current moment this is spot on.

So we sold Stones so we can increase our wage structure yet I can't really see the need in this, we signed a lad from Aston Villa (guessing £40,000 a week) Ashley Williams (£80,000 am being generous) and Bolasie (£60,000).

Then you think of the players gone Stones (£40,000), Pienaar (£50,000 to £70,000) and Osman (see Pienaar)

This is total guess work but what am trying to say that at the current moment selling Stones for wages surely has been a cock up on our side....

Hers the issue i have with people putting up figures, they are always scewed to make there argument sound more convincing

Stones was not on 40k - widely reported he was on 30k pw, Pienaar was not on 50-70k and neither was Osman, they where on 50k and 40k respectively, so 120k in those three wages, rather than what your saying which is 160k pw (as the average of figures you stated)

You also have zero idea what wages we are paying Williams, Gueye or Bolasie mate and have just thrown figures out there

Your also ignoring Stek arriving, new deals for sevaral player, Davies, Dowell, Kenny and several more.

Do agree that as it stands right this moment - the reason of selling stones for STCC purposes looks misguided at best and dissengenuous at worst

Any new addition is an improvement over aged long-past-their-peak retired players, even youth promotions would be.

But we're not looking for that, we're looking to be better than we have been during the Moyes and Martinez eras.

Are we not?

But we have to start off somewhere.

You're harking back to years ago.

In the short term the goal is to improve the squad from the END of the last campaign, not compared to the side that finished 5th in 08-09...

Well not quite, because while it may not state anywhere that it's not the official GOT position, nowhere does it state that it is.

Otherwise, as staff, we would not be able to voice individual opinions, which would be daft.

I personally think that up to a point, questioning is healthy and encourages openness, but the key is 'up to a point'. A crusade against someone, from either end isn't healthy.
If I worked for Man Utd, I wouldn't be able to spout off how I think Man City are the greatest team in the world, without making clear the views are my own.

That would be daft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back