Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said to my boy Browns earlier, its like we are collecting inconsistent wingers, re. Bahrimi, maybe thats a good thing, Ronny can see whos up for it on the Friday and pick the 1 who shines the most.

Stickle played loads for Southampton last season to be fair, but I concede I honestly have never take any notice of him till now and I, like everybody else no doubt, watched that World Cup Final he played in, Gana has also played against us 4 times now and yes, never took any notice, but ive been massively impressed with all 3 so far, Williams looked an utter monster in the Euros, I gotta admit ive never really rated him highly before then.

So yes, 6months is the fair assessment of all new signings, if they all looked rubbish no doubt the "give them 6months" shouts would be out, so to be fair, lets see where they are in 6months.

As it stands, today, I think we did good business.

Shut up Zat, Koubs is an utter clown on rollerskates.

Should have kept Stones

John Stones and City will win trophies, the question should be, would John Stones benefit Everton more than the 4 players we replaced him with in 2016/17.
In 2016/17, no, absolutely not - it's good business this year.

I question whether it is good business over time. But then there is every chance he would have left anyway before he ever really hit his stride. Like I said, I think we made the right choice. That doesn't mean I think it was a 'decent trade'. As it's the Stones' we'll need in a few years to make real waves. Bolasie's and Williams' and Sticklebacks' are what bring us to 5th (hopefully). Stones (in a few years) is what pushes us past that.

Would have been very happy with those linked

Leno Koulibaly Rugani Carvalho Witsel etc
OK but what about on the wing and also we weren't really linked with Rugani and Leno except for one jargon article here or there. I assume you wouldn't approve of Brahimi or Gabbiadini

John Stones and City will win trophies, the question should be, would John Stones benefit Everton more than the 4 players we replaced him with in 2016/17.
The pragmatics that govern Everton for the right here and now kind of insisted that we had to make a trade-off, and that to move ahead, we had to (as per chess analogy) make a player sacrifice to do that
This is what we have done.

Last edited:
Should have kept Stones
In 2016/17, no, absolutely not - it's good business this year.

I question whether it is good business over time. But then there is every chance he would have left anyway before he ever really hit his stride. Like I said, I think we made the right choice. That doesn't mean I think it was a 'decent trade'. As it's the Stones' we'll need in a few years to make real waves. Bolasie's and Williams' and Sticklebacks' are what bring us to 5th (hopefully). Stones (in a few years) is what pushes us past that.

I dont think keeping Stones was ever on the table, the lad has wanted away for over 12months, he wanted out, we sold him, we got a good fee we invested that fee into 4 players very much in their prime. Time will judge the deal, I still think John Stones is a special, special talent and in 5 years that 47.5m will be as insignificant as the 30m we got for Rooney, but to use another cliche, the most important match is the next 1 you play.

OK but what about on the wing and also we weren't really linked with Rugani and Leno except for one jargon article here or there. I assume you wouldn't approve of Brahimi or Gabbiadini

Brahimi is an amazing dribbler...

The players linked generally have been way better than those signed

I dont think keeping Stones was ever on the table, the lad has wanted away for over 12months, he wanted out, we sold him, we got a good fee we invested that fee into 4 players very much in their prime. Time will judge the deal, I still think John Stones is a special, special talent and in 5 years that 47.5m will be as insignificant as the 30m we got for Rooney, but to use another cliche, the most important match is the next 1 you play.

Think he would have stayed if he saw us signing players.

Understatement of the year from Zat.
But as you have said in another thread, that is precisely the problem. If this was Kenwright's Everton this window would have been slightly above par, with a spend rate within expectation. But it's Moshiri's Everton, where things will never be the same again and world superstars will sign on mega wages paid for by the Stones transfer. As a consequence it's all been a bit deflating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back