Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to get to that point at some stage though. We can't sell our best players every summer and expect to kick on. At some point, maybe not now, we have to break this cycle or we will be condemned to mediocrity in perpetuity.

We aren't selling our best players though. We're selling players who can be sold for far more than their value to the team. The last time we truly shipped out one of our best players was 5 years ago with Arteta.

Lets play assumption math.

Hibbert 25k
Howard 50k
Osman 40k
Pienaar 65k
Stones 30k
Martinez 65k

275k a week

Bolasie 80k
Williams 70k
Stickleback 40k
Gana 40k
Koeman 135k

365k a week

90k difference

135k allowed within normal STCC increase

Stones sale allows us to spend 900k extra a week.
Reckon some of the new lads are on more than that

I put this in the Moshiri thread - thought it worth repeating here:

Despite the pressure to sign, and the frustration in not signing people who got very close, one of the major things that have become apparent in recent weeks is that neither Moshiri nor Koeman will be pushed into deals if there is any aspect of the deal they are not satisfied with.

Witsel is a classic example when his people just kept pushing and pushing, in the end he might have said he wanted to go to Juve, but the reality is that we would not concede his final demands. Similarly in recent days a player thought most likely to join us, hasn't because the manager had reservations and the tougher decision not to proceed was taken.

Might be tough in the short term, in terms of numbers coming in, but it says a huge amount about the quality of people we have brought in, and the single mindedness of Moshiri, Koeman and Walsh

Despite the above, we're still going to add before the window closes, and it won't be through desperation but people we want on the terms we want.

Stones wanted to go, he wanted to go last year. People are forgetting that koeman stated he told the club to hold off transfers until he'd assessed the squad. He did that, primary targets failed to materialise.

I think a lot of people underestimate our squad, it was an unfit, unorganised mess last year. A bit if structure and increased fitness and we'll have no problem challenging for Europe. A couple of more additions will only increase out likelihood.

There will be more incoming, our manager knows this and we'll be stringer come the end if the windiw

I agree... The reason ( or one of them) that bobby was sacked was because "the best prem squad we have ever had" UNDER ACHIEVED. And I believe that too. So going on that theory... It's still the best squad we have had in the prem... And with possibly the best manager we have had in the prem ... And with a much improved chairman ( I know he's not actually chairman but you know what I mean) Add to that the signings made ( which I believe have been good and have made us stronger) and we have the potential to challenge for Europe this year and maybe even sneak a cup ( draw depending) I also think that we will be making more signings and going on who has signed so far.... I think these players will improve us further... I would have loved to get witsel, mata etc... But nobody can deny that our squad is more balanced and stronger than last year.

We aren't selling our best players though. We're selling players who can be sold for far more than their value to the team. The last time we truly shipped out one of our best players was 5 years ago with Arteta.

I disagree that Arteta was our best player when we sold him. He had been our best player, but was way past his best by then and we got good money for him. I was more gutted about losing Yakubu for £2m, and the fact we had no time to replace him (Arteta) before the money vanished.

nobody can deny that our squad is more balanced and stronger than last year.

That's a huge statement. How did you back it up?

going on who has signed so far.... I think these players will improve us further...

That's a far reach, mate. From "I think these players will improve us" to "nobody can deny we're stronger".

There's no evidence we're stronger than last season as the players we've signed aren't top players from top clubs. We've signed three strong players from middling clubs (and one relegated club) and a keeper who was 2nd-choice at over-achieving small-time charlies.

We've lost our very own Franz Beckenbauer, and also lost four squad stalwarts who were deffo over the hill but still were a known reliable option last season.

As ever, time will tell. But right now we're a long way from "nobody can deny".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back