Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
My colleague here in work is a Porto fan and the way he describes him doesn't make him seem like the playmaker we need at all.

Head down, sometimes overly selfish, direct and a bit dumb. Sounded more like an another Mirallas to me.

I want a playmaker, so on your Transfer Window Rating scale in which you gave it 6/10 I would have to give it -411 out of 10. A lot of ground to make up there after selling Beckenbauer and still not having our Mata/Silva/Pienaar type player. I'll review it again on Wed night.
Agree with you re Brahimi. Has similar qualities to Bolasie from what I've seen of him. Very quick and direct. Think we need somebody with different qualities such as guile and vision (a word rarely used in footballing terms these days). Somebody who can give us something different if we need to change our style/system. For the price he's supposedly available at, Ziyech is worth a punt in my view.

We still need others of course. I'm hoping Kone will still join us, plus we need another quality CM and a decent back up/competition for Rom. If we do go for another GK I'd prefer him to be top quality and a level above what we have already. Not somebody like Begovic. As you say, roll on Wednesday night!!

As I said last night whilst we chased deals at the beginning of the summer there's been a fundamental shift, whether that's Walsh's influence or Koeman or both we're being selective despite the pressure to add. It seems everything has to be right for the deal to take place given what we've walked away from.

We can only benefit from that in the long term, and it means the people we have brought in and will bring in are the ones we want rather than just because they are available.

It's been a weird summer. It was always probably going to be weird because of such a massive shift in resources, personnel, and expectations. I've been prone to dreaming of the lottery ticket scenario where a who's who of names landed win us and we began to simply cruise to top of the table. The reality has certainly not been that--as we've learned hard lessons about how having money, a great manager, and even an accomplished DoF can't erase the damage that years and years of underperformance and general mediocrity have done to the outside perception of Everton to many top players--especially continental players who've been bombarded with the same 4-5 English teams they see playing in CL every year.

And while we like to explain it away as simply that some other team can offer CL and we can't, it's more than that. Years of poor performance has damaged the brand of Everton. And while we can roll our eyes at concepts like "brand", it certainly matters in the fine margins of competing for high end players in a high end market that--let's face it--we're newcomers to.

Having said all that, it seems apparent the effort and the right pieces are being put into place. Koeman was always going to be the most significant piece added and the financial investment and endeavor to get him here has already changed the mindset of the club, the players, and the supporters. Even if we made no more acquisitions before next Wednesday (which I HIGHLY doubt), this roster is already in a far better place than it was across the board. The biggest vulnerability is that we need more quality to handle inevitable injuries and I'm hopeful to see more added. But I suppose my major point is that while I've had my days of frustration during this new era and new process, I've never been more optimistic about the future of our club. This doesn't mean I won't curse getting jilted at the altar by some player over the next few days, but now it won't be because I think we're being cheap or have incompetent people running the operation. It'll be because we're now tasting what it's like to be at the big table in terms of player recruitment. We'll win some. We'll lose some. But it's great to finally be in the game. It's where Everton belongs.

Really am starting to swing towards only 1 or 2 in now. the way the window is going it just seems very anti climatic in all honesty. Even the likes of chelsea want marcus alonso, arsenal signing a 10th choice striker out of spite, Leicester the league champions want N'Zonzi etc

Just think that bar trading at the bottom of the league, i am not expecting much more business to be done in this window by many teams including us. Perhaps we have tried and failed to sign players so that is that, right back cover and new attacker and we focus on the season ahead instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back