Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a weird summer. It was always probably going to be weird because of such a massive shift in resources, personnel, and expectations. I've been prone to dreaming of the lottery ticket scenario where a who's who of names landed win us and we began to simply cruise to top of the table. The reality has certainly not been that--as we've learned hard lessons about how having money, a great manager, and even an accomplished DoF can't erase the damage that years and years of underperformance and general mediocrity have done to the outside perception of Everton to many top players--especially continental players who've been bombarded with the same 4-5 English teams they see playing in CL every year.

And while we like to explain it away as simply that some other team can offer CL and we can't, it's more than that. Years of poor performance has damaged the brand of Everton. And while we can roll our eyes at concepts like "brand", it certainly matters in the fine margins of competing for high end players in a high end market that--let's face it--we're newcomers to.

Having said all that, it seems apparent the effort and the right pieces are being put into place. Koeman was always going to be the most significant piece added and the financial investment and endeavor to get him here has already changed the mindset of the club, the players, and the supporters. Even if we made no more acquisitions before next Wednesday (which I HIGHLY doubt), this roster is already in a far better place than it was across the board. The biggest vulnerability is that we need more quality to handle inevitable injuries and I'm hopeful to see more added. But I suppose my major point is that while I've had my days of frustration during this new era and new process, I've never been more optimistic about the future of our club. This doesn't mean I won't curse getting jilted at the altar by some player over the next few days, but now it won't be because I think we're being cheap or have incompetent people running the operation. It'll be because we're now tasting what it's like to be at the big table in terms of player recruitment. We'll win some. We'll lose some. But it's great to finally be in the game. It's where Everton belongs.

Very good post mate, agree entirely.

Perhaps so but i dont think it could be discounted that players dont want to play for Koeman.

Not a single one of the big name players who were linked has signed because of us having Koeman.
Ha ha you really are one of a kind. Odd but clearly you want Koeman to fail - if only so you can enjoy your moment on here.

Not wanting to start a big blown debate that has been had 100 times before. But one question for anyone. Factoring what is in front of us, not what they hope happen

considering Koeman said in the conference he hopes for one or two more. If those two were The dutch right back (2 million) and Begovic (7 million for example) and our net spend despite the takeover, despite selling a player for 47 million, despite the increased tv money was under 10 million.

Would you consider this window to be a failure?

Factoring how much income we have received technically and the fact we still would be lacking in certain areas. But at the same time the squad would be much more balanced with cover in most positions.

so yeah, any thoughts? Would questions have to be raised or would people be happy signing the players we have, from the clubs we have and not actually spending much surplus?
Don't think it's that easy to differentiate between success and failure. Where do you draw the line.?

Think there needs to be more options. How about.

- Phenomenal

- Great

- Very Good

- Good

- O.K

- Disappointing

- Unsatisfactory

- Poor

- Embarrassing

I'm happy with the business done so far as regards personnel, but we need more and I expected more. Given the scenario you propose, which is, of course, hypothetical, I would say I would rate it between OK and disappointing.

The thing is like most deadline days nothing changes its a toss of a coin who stays and who goes, also I find we end up signing players who we were not linked to, and the ones that where either stay or go elsewhere- We are not in the champions league we finished 11 th for the 2 Nd time in two seasons on the bounce - we will sell , and purchase players before Wednesday no doubts, but maybe not the ones we have been linked too.
Up to now we have a bargain Keeper, a bargain box to box midfielder - just a few more key positions to strengthen in Leicester proved last season get the balance right and you can win the Prem !

Who have we signed whose a big name who came because of koeman?

Answer = No one.
The fact that we haven't signed a big name us not because of Koeman .....you might as well say it's because if the quality of the half time pies...,, it's about as pertinent.

The reason has been stated time and again on here by the rational few.
The clubs last many years of mediocrity us the reason the big players aren't coming ...., yet ....

Take a day off from your WUM special

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back