Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shape, pressing, movement, intensity, attacking intent - nothing like Barca, even at our best.

It will never, ever reach Barca, as the foundations are not there for it, the philosophy is completely wrong - we don't press, which is, as Pep himself has said before, one of, if not the most important thing in this style of play, we play 2 DM's and rely on fullbacks, which Barca do not do, and even they seem to practice defending and those useless set piece things Martinez admits he finds useless.

Keeper an 11th outfield player.
Split CBs
CBs bringing the ball out.
A pivot system.
Wide strikers
False number 9
Starting attacks with the goalkeeper passing short

We've seen all of the above at various times. Yes, as I said, it is nowhere near Barcelona standard, but it's quite clear that RM's vision, whether you believe in it or not, is to be a Barca-lite.

And Barca don't rely on their full backs going foward? they sure as hell don't rely on Dani Alves and Jordi Alba to be rigid, defensive rocks do they mate?

Come on now.

Split CBs
A pivot system.
Wide strikers
False number 9

We've seen all of the above at various times. Yes, as I said, it is nowhere near Barcelona standard, but it's quite clear that RM's vision, whether you believe in it or not, is to be a Barca-lite.

And Barca don't rely on their full backs going foward? they sure as hell don't rely on Dani Alves and Jordi Alba to be rigid, defensive rocks do they mate?

Come on now.

would argue about having seen the keeper as a 11th outfield player mate, Howard is always rooted to his line and Robles not much better really, as for the other stuff, seena little of it soemtimes and some of it a lot more obviously

But...

where is the 5 second rule - getting the ball back within 5 seconds of losing it that barca made their mantra almost, we press probably the least of any team in this league?
where is the constant triangles that players are supposed to create with movement to give options always to the man in possession - isntead we are probably one of the most static teams in possession of the ball?
where is the rapid support and overlaps that the system thrives on?
where is the players covering positions for players when they go forwards - we dont see any of that?
where is the tempo?

would argue about having seen the keeper as a 11th outfield player mate, Howard is always rooted to his line and Robles not much better really, as for the other stuff, seena little of it soemtimes and some of it a lot more obviously

But...

where is the 5 second rule - getting the ball back within 5 seconds of losing it that barca made their mantra almost, we press probably the least of any team in this league?
where is the constant triangles that players are supposed to create with movement to give options always to the man in possession - isntead we are probably one of the most static teams in possession of the ball?
where is the rapid support and overlaps that the system thrives on?
where is the players covering positions for players when they go forwards - we dont see any of that?
where is the tempo?

At the moment, absolutely agree with you. I remember against Newcastle in his first season though we were all of the above. Especially without the ball.

We aren't anywhere near our best and haven't been for a while yet.

Done well over here in Russia - but isn't liked by the fans (even of Zenit) or media - turned them into winners but seen a fair few of their games and sometimes they drive you crazy - scoring early and going ultra defensive vs mediocre teams to secure the result etc.

not sure how he'd go down here honestly mate, good manager - gets results, but makes Mourinho look gung ho, have to say i switched a few of their games off last season out of sheer boredom at seeing them kill a game at 1-0 with a half left

Funny thing is when he has let them open up Zenit last year absolutely looked ten times better and smashed some team all over the shop

Improvement over Martinez, but think we can get someone in who fits the club better as well
I'd take as many one nils as we could get from now till the end of season.

At the moment, absolutely agree with you. I remember against Newcastle in his first season though we were all of the above. Especially without the ball.

We aren't anywhere near our best and haven't been for a while yet.

Players do not have the fitness levels to press in a game mate anymore, when we've even tried it we have wilted badly the last 30 minutes, - even without pressing we looked goosed the last 15 most games.

Problem is, Martinez has his way of playing and he may deviate from it for a game or two, but he always goes back to what he feels comfortable with, much like Moyes could play attacking football at times but in the end we ended up going for the safe option

Split CBs
A pivot system.
Wide strikers
False number 9

Come on now.
Not in the same way as we do, as they actually go back or go half-way into the opposition field when they are looking for the ball, and are much quicker in actually coming back, whereas if Coleman doesn't join the attacks on the right if Del's not playing - the crosser of the ball is gonna be Lukaku, and it's a shame he can't cross it to himself, as we need him to be finishing those crosses as well. We rely on overloading the wings (which doesn't work when you have only one winger and Cleverley... being around the left wing I guess) and getting the ball back into the middle, usually either cut back across the box or whipped in for Lukaku to finish/tap in/head in, depending on situation.

A pivot system implies 1 pivot in it - we have 2, on identical duty, which is nonsensical on so many levels with what we apparently want to achieve. Remember when Busquest and Mascherano both started at defensive mid for Barca, and they only played Xavi as a centre mid, relying on him to create everything every single attack? Yeah, it didn't happen, for a reason. We do it because it should, on theory, help the full backs bomb forward and stay there without worrying too much about the counter, as the DM's can cover the position left out by them should they need to, but it's just not working going forward AT ALL. Barca achieved it by having only one full back absolutely go for it if he should and the other staying half-way inside the opposition's box (as I said above), but that requires excellent chemistry and tactical preparation, which we seem to lack quite a lot right now to be honest.

We've removed the false number 9 thing ever since that Burnley (I think?) game where Lukaku came back deep to get it, and played it straight to the opposition and they scored - now he sits upfront, which is to our detriment, as we have only one other player to support him through the middle - Barkley, and on rare occasions one of the wingers who came infield because our full backs are overlapping.

Keeper being an 11th outfield player I can't recall ever happening for us, unless you mean Howard going out and tackling Jagielka a few weeks/months back as a sweeper keeper, or that one time he did a starfish for the second time after his Newcastle episode. Joel doesn't do it as well; and as far as keepers starting the attacks with a short pass - then I suppose literally every team ever tries to pretend they're Barcelona, who apparently invented the short pass? And as of this season it mostly starts with a kick upfield or a throw further out - in Martinez' first season we did go for the short pass to Baines/Coleman/any CB's. All keepers do it when it's safe anyway, and the sweeper keeper in England doesn't seem to be a thing, but Lloris is the closest to that at Tottenham, and even he is absolutely nowhere near Neuer, who is hands down the best sweeper keeper in Europe right now.

CB's bringing the ball out I can give you, as it's nothing to argue there, we try to do it, but with the 2 DM's mentioned already, unless Barkley ALSO comes deep for the ball what happens is: they pass it to (say) McCarthy, who doesn't find anyone, gives it back to them, they're forced to hoof it out, or repeat the same thing. It happens very often if you watch it carefully tbh... (not trying to say you don't watch the games or nothing here btw, but just watch out for that to see that it happens quite often).

Wide strikers is a really wrong term to use here, as we play one of them, and a winger on the opposite side, and that is stupidly unbalanced, as it leaves one wing just empty for Baines/Oviedo/Galloway to be there on their own - Kone was no help to the left back, Cleverley is a figurative ghost, Naismith was a literal ghost, Niasse is just... er, unproven, let's say, and it seems to be unthinkable to play with 2 wingers/inside forwards... despite the fact Barcelona, for example, do exactly that, and they're finding success I'd say. Oh and so does every successful team that's built on balance. Moyes managed to break the habit with Bainaar back in the day, but that meant our right wing was a wasteland where attacks went to die, and also that if teams had one of them sussed out or they didn't have a game - we were in for a treat of a performance!

Not in the same way as we do, as they actually go back or go half-way into the opposition field when they are looking for the ball, and are much quicker in actually coming back, whereas if Coleman doesn't join the attacks on the right if Del's not playing - the crosser of the ball is gonna be Lukaku, and it's a shame he can't cross it to himself, as we need him to be finishing those crosses as well. We rely on overloading the wings (which doesn't work when you have only one winger and Cleverley... being around the left wing I guess) and getting the ball back into the middle, usually either cut back across the box or whipped in for Lukaku to finish/tap in/head in, depending on situation.

A pivot system implies 1 pivot in it - we have 2, on identical duty, which is nonsensical on so many levels with what we apparently want to achieve. Remember when Busquest and Mascherano both started at defensive mid for Barca, and they only played Xavi as a centre mid, relying on him to create everything every single attack? Yeah, it didn't happen, for a reason. We do it because it should, on theory, help the full backs bomb forward and stay there without worrying too much about the counter, as the DM's can cover the position left out by them should they need to, but it's just not working going forward AT ALL. Barca achieved it by having only one full back absolutely go for it if he should and the other staying half-way inside the opposition's box (as I said above), but that requires excellent chemistry and tactical preparation, which we seem to lack quite a lot right now to be honest.

We've removed the false number 9 thing ever since that Burnley (I think?) game where Lukaku came back deep to get it, and played it straight to the opposition and they scored - now he sits upfront, which is to our detriment, as we have only one other player to support him through the middle - Barkley, and on rare occasions one of the wingers who came infield because our full backs are overlapping.

Keeper being an 11th outfield player I can't recall ever happening for us, unless you mean Howard going out and tackling Jagielka a few weeks/months back as a sweeper keeper, or that one time he did a starfish for the second time after his Newcastle episode. Joel doesn't do it as well; and as far as keepers starting the attacks with a short pass - then I suppose literally every team ever tries to pretend they're Barcelona, who apparently invented the short pass? And as of this season it mostly starts with a kick upfield or a throw further out - in Martinez' first season we did go for the short pass to Baines/Coleman/any CB's. All keepers do it when it's safe anyway, and the sweeper keeper in England doesn't seem to be a thing, but Lloris is the closest to that at Tottenham, and even he is absolutely nowhere near Neuer, who is hands down the best sweeper keeper in Europe right now.

CB's bringing the ball out I can give you, as it's nothing to argue there, we try to do it, but with the 2 DM's mentioned already, unless Barkley ALSO comes deep for the ball what happens is: they pass it to (say) McCarthy, who doesn't find anyone, gives it back to them, they're forced to hoof it out, or repeat the same thing. It happens very often if you watch it carefully tbh... (not trying to say you don't watch the games or nothing here btw, but just watch out for that to see that it happens quite often).

Wide strikers is a really wrong term to use here, as we play one of them, and a winger on the opposite side, and that is stupidly unbalanced, as it leaves one wing just empty for Baines/Oviedo/Galloway to be there on their own - Kone was no help to the left back, Cleverley is a figurative ghost, Naismith was a literal ghost, Niasse is just... er, unproven, let's say, and it seems to be unthinkable to play with 2 wingers/inside forwards... despite the fact Barcelona, for example, do exactly that, and they're finding success I'd say. Oh and so does every successful team that's built on balance. Moyes managed to break the habit with Bainaar back in the day, but that meant our right wing was a wasteland where attacks went to die, and also that if teams had one of them sussed out or they didn't have a game - we were in for a treat of a performance!

Genuinely appreciate the obvious time it took to reply there but nipping out and want yo answer fully.
Will do so later ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back