Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mbokani reminds me of a poor man's Rom, for a decent fee £10-12 million I would be happy seeing him come in as a back up forward. Still want Bony as our number 1 if Rom does leave.

Mbokani reminds me of a poor man's Rom, for a decent fee £10-12 million I would be happy seeing him come in as a back up forward. Still want Bony as our number 1 if Rom does leave.

Think a lot of what happens with our transfers will be management based (will or go or not).

I have never been too hot on Bony think he isn't as good as people think, he has only ever got over 10 league goals 4 times in his career (not counting cup etc) is 27, and sometimes i watch him and see him move less then Lukaku and don't know what the fuss is.

Gomis moves more then him...

Think a lot of what happens with our transfers will be management based (will or go or not).

I have never been too hot on Bony think he isn't as good as people think, he has only ever got over 10 league goals 4 times in his career (not counting cup etc) is 27, and sometimes i watch him and see him move less then Lukaku and don't know what the fuss is.

Gomis moves more then him...

Was happy to go to City knowing he wouldn't be 1st choice and pick up his dough.

If Rom goes I want someone with the fire in his belly that he has.

Sorry this doesnt make much sense to me.

Firstly saying he has had more money to spend is ridiculous. It is all relative, there is more money around in the league these days. The 23M outlay for Lukaku was akin to Moyes spending 11m (was it?) on Yakubu. People really need to take stuff like that into account just like the ones who moan about Kone costing 6M, that's the equivalent of snapping up a 1M squad man back in Moyes' time with us.

As for squad building you are not taking into account players for the future so Stanek, Holgate, Foulds, Tarashaj and Rodrgiuez are out of the equation straight away, Galloway too to an extent but an injury crisis meant he had to play Left Back and he played well there so he has signed someone capable of playing left back. It also doesnt take into account the existing squad, why would he sign a left back when we have that position covered already?

You are also including players signed on loan who were not even there at the same time as other players nor have you took into account players who were signed but didnt work out. Every manager has some of them. So saying he has signed 4 RMs isnt a true reflection is it? One was on loan, one was a flop and two go straight into the team, one of which is full of potential but cant play every game right now. So thats building a squad just fine.

We have right back cover (could maybe do with more) in Stones, Jagielka and Browning who has been injured anyway. Howard regressed faster than even his harshest critics would have imagined and we need a lot of attacking cover as when he started with us we had nothing up front unless we are including the shell of Nikica Jelavic.

So really the only area he has not addressed per se is LM, maybe he has his eye on someone but they are not available right now.

Martinez has enough flaws in his game right now that denigrating one of his stronger aspects seems a bit unnecessary.

Never said he had no idea in the transfer market did I?
what i did question is his ability of bringing in players who a. fit his actual system he wants to use, and b. addressing the areas of building a sqaud - making sure their isn't massive gaps at certain positions and that depth is through the squad

Yes Galloway can play left back - although we do conced 1.6 goals per game when he played compared to 1.2 and 1.1 when Ovideo and Baines start - so maybe explains the reason he is back playing in the udner 21's - he wasn't good enough mate, prospect for the future - no arguments - but was exposed as not being ready yet, and plainly not a left back

Yes Browning and Stones and Jagielka can play right back - but they aren't right backs and none of them play very well their either - especially so in the case of Stones whose had some mares and jags who looks terrible their, we have also played Gibson and Lennon their but i wouldn't exactly say they give us adequate backup to Coleman also. It was a huge oversight hence the panick to get Byram in which had no plan B when it failed

saying he has brought in 4 RMs to the club isn't a true reflection - errm unless i am counting wreong he has brought in 4 - two of whom bombed badly - could argue that bringing in two players who have aided the squad in Del and Lennon was overkill when we had Mirallas whose natural position is also on the right as well though - especially when the left side of the pitch has basically been ignored by the manager - not to mention how much time he spent trying to get in Yarmolenko - who is a right winger and not a leftsided or attacking mid in any sane persons world

3 years to sort out a player to come in and be better on the lef tthan Cleverley, Kone, naismith and he hasn't been able to manage it yet? - awesome.

Is he generally good in the transfer market - yup, is he better than a lot of othjer managers around - not really, is he significantly worse at building a team that doesn't look utterly imbalanced - for certain he is

Dunno if he'd do well here but like the look of janssen from the Dutch league. Seems to have done well lately but then again only had one good season

I think this actually shows how solid in the market he is. I don't understand people who criticise him for "bringing in crap" like Alcaraz and McGeady. I will admit not all of his buys have been great but the ones that have been poor cost practically nothing. What sort of expectations do you have for a 4th string CB you bring in on a free?

Here are what I would classify as poor buys (even if the idea might have been sound, but it did not work out): Alcaraz, Stanek, McGeady, Atsu, Traore, Kone, Rodriguez, Stanek, E'too. Total spent ~ 12M (?) with 7.5 being Kone.

For all of those poor buys, Lennon, Cleverly, Robles & Galloway are in the same category (cheap speculative) and their success outweighs the flops of the others IMO.

Now look at when Roberto spends money in the market and his success rate.

Lukaku (28M) - great buy
Barry (3M+loan) - great buy
McCarthy - (13M) - great Buy
Funes Mori (9M) - Still adjusting to the league but does not look out of place in the PL. He has had a few mistakes but he has also been our best defender in some games as well. Looking like a good buy but still with room for improvement.
Besic (4M) - Still early but looks like to have the quality to be a PL starter
Deulofeu (4M) - Fantastic bang for the buck. He is also a player who certainly would never be in Everton blue if Martinez was not our manager.

Note: Too soon to make a determination on Holgate, Tarashaj and Niasse.

If you break it down, RM really has not had much money to spend especially when a lot of purchases are being subsidized by selling of Fellaini, Jelavic, Anichebe. I trust Martinez with a big war chest in the summer. Even if he does not fixes his issues next season and gets the sack, I have faith that he will leave behind players of value that managers will want to coach or at least have some resale value.

Lukaku - yeah greta buy no doubt about that
Barry - very good pickup
Mori - agree with what you say
Besic - love the bloke but been here 2 years now and is no more than a bit part player, could easily go either way still
Deulofeu - great for the price we paid, but why on earth wouldn't he be at Everton if it wasn't for Martinez, think too many people think Martinez has some special connection with Barca that is utter frabrication because he is a Catalan
McCarthy - great buy? really - a decent one - but he has had one great season followed by two pretty poor ones, no way is he a great buy IMO for that price anyway

He brought in Alcaraz because he rated him highly mate, same with McGeady - neithe rone was a speculative punt, one was his Captain at Wigan i believe and the other he had purseued for a good few years and tried to get in at Wigan and then us

Notice you haven't mentione Naisse - the bloke who takes 4 months to get to 50% fitness due to a wrist injury

We had this conversation last week, the players you have mentioned as possible buys. My god lets get ready for the championship. And you said the likes of batshuayi & Lacazette would be gambles. Yet you want us to pay 12mil for Mbokani as back up

We had this conversation last week, the players you have mentioned as possible buys. My god lets get ready for the championship. And you said the likes of batshuayi & Lacazette would be gambles. Yet you want us to pay 12mil for Mbokani as back up

They would be gambles as first choice forwards, would be excellent back up options but let's be honest they won't sign to come sit on our bench.

No offence but we will be in a relegation battle if we had Messi, suarez and neymar if martinez stays.

They would be gambles as first choice forwards, would be excellent back up options but let's be honest they won't sign to come sit on our bench.

No offence but we will be in a relegation battle if we had Messi, suarez and neymar if martinez stays.

What makes you think they would come and sit on our bench? If Lukaku leaves then surely these are the players we should be looking at, I would bet both of them would have a pretty good impact on our team, and move much more then Bony does.

Well I would rather see the kids on the bench than some cart horse that will cost us 12mil.

There are only so many top clubs. But plenty of top class players out there. The prem is the richest league and getting richer.

West Ham= payet Stoke= shakiri
Palace=cabaye

I think you will be surprised what players the premiership will attract in the summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back