Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
But he meant this season and he is right we don't develop depth beyond one or two players look at the kid Branthwaite playing now. I still stand by my point relying heavily on one DM to be first choice all season was asking for trouble. Delph was only intended to be a back up and had a suspect injury record, Morgan was very limited too and we all knew he wasn't going to take us forward after about six months. We just don't address problems we rely on ONE player who can do the DM job and have inadequate back up. We have three cbs, one in Holgate who is still developing, look at AM too, Gomes is the only one with any creativity centrally. We have wingers who don't produce it's a badly assembled squad of players that don't fit together and yes that's with everyone fit. Wolves and Leicester far better depth in midfield look at their squads. Brands needs to step up this summer.

Who are Wolves and Leicesters depth in midfield mate?

Yeah I'm not sure this is right.

I do a squad review every season and I recall thinking we had decent depth everywhere apart from at CB, I really thought the lack of CB would hurt us, I didn't even consider the midfield at that point.

The fact is that Gmblammo and Gomes missed most of the season and Delph glued his leg on the wrong way, so then we had to dig deep into the squad and the quality was lacking. We then got a new manager in who changed the system and made the majority of the players in the squad not fit for the roles required.

I mean 442 pretty much means we don't need a number 10 and made our record signing useless.

Im not taking talent here, I mean you are talking depth.

Of course our 4th choice CM lacks the quality we need and yes Gomes looks BAD and he was considered our best option.

My point is that not many teams have an amazing 4th and 5th choice CM pairing and its unreasonable to prepare for losing 3 midfielders for practically a whole season.

I mean everybody is saying we need 2 CMs, why not 6 just in case the other 2 get injured?
Again it's not just about numbers it's attributes, I appreciate we have switched to a 442 so now some players dont fit as we dont play with a ten so Sig and Iwobi are two. But we needed to better reinvent the DM position for years, we had very little depth behind Gana, Morgan has proven over and over again he isnt good enough. We bought Gbamin so late and then he was thrown in because we had to then he broke down twice. Injuries happen bad squad planning happens over time, we have badly misjudged for whatever reasons the quality and fitness of Delph I would be surprised if the guy ever plays more than twenty games again a season, and when he has played he cant get around the pitch either. We need energy, pace and physicality in there. How many of our midfielders offer these attributes?

But he meant this season and he is right we don't develop depth beyond one or two players look at the kid Branthwaite playing now. I still stand by my point relying heavily on one DM to be first choice all season was asking for trouble. Delph was only intended to be a back up and had a suspect injury record, Morgan was very limited too and we all knew he wasn't going to take us forward after about six months. We just don't address problems we rely on ONE player who can properly do the DM job and get around the pitch and out a foot in and have inadequate back up.We have three cbs, one in Holgate who is still developing, look at AM too, Gomes is the only one with any creativity centrally. We have wingers who don't produce, we have two young strikers and an even younger striker on the bench who has proven zero on this league. It's a badly assembled squad of players that don't fit together and yes that's with everyone fit. Wolves and Leicester far better depth in midfield look at their squads. Brands needs to step up this summer. We sit at eleventh for a reason.
Its a badly assembled squad of players because there are players from: the Moyes era, Koeman-Walsh-Allardyce era and Silva era.
Everytime we get a new manager, he ships out some and brings in a couple of his own. ~2 years later we do the same again.
Continuity goes a long way. Wolves, Burnley have every player exactly how their manager wants. No square pegs in round holes.
Leicester have been carried by Vardy and Schmeichel since their arrival in the league and its been easy for their managers to change the way they play with just a couple signings. Imagine if Rodgers had to replace Vardy - like when we had a big Lukaku-sized hole in our team - while getting his midfield of choice in. It would have set them back massively and they wouldn't be where they are today.

It takes time and the clock recently started from 0 again when Ancelotti took over.

But he meant this season and he is right we don't develop depth beyond one or two players look at the kid Branthwaite playing now. I still stand by my point relying heavily on one DM to be first choice all season was asking for trouble. Delph was only intended to be a back up and had a suspect injury record, Morgan was very limited too and we all knew he wasn't going to take us forward after about six months. We just don't address problems we rely on ONE player who can properly do the DM job and get around the pitch and out a foot in and have inadequate back up.We have three cbs, one in Holgate who is still developing, look at AM too, Gomes is the only one with any creativity centrally. We have wingers who don't produce, we have two young strikers and an even younger striker on the bench who has proven zero on this league. It's a badly assembled squad of players that don't fit together and yes that's with everyone fit. Wolves and Leicester far better depth in midfield look at their squads. Brands needs to step up this summer. We sit at eleventh for a reason.

Err mate that's loads of depth, generally dross but it's dross throughout the whole squad bar 4 or 5 players

Haven't paid much attention to all the players (specifically midfielders) y'all have been linked with (except for Grealish a few months ago, and PEH), but are there any players out there that have interested you?

I said this in the match forum, Douglas Luiz would absolutely fit in to what Ancelotti would be looking to build i think. Would be almost a repeat of the Gueye transfer when we got relegated a few years ago.

Haven't paid much attention to all the players (specifically midfielders) y'all have been linked with (except for Grealish a few months ago, and PEH), but are there any players out there that have interested you?

I said this in the match forum, Douglas Luiz would absolutely fit in to what Ancelotti would be looking to build i think. Would be almost a repeat of the Gueye transfer when we got relegated a few years ago.

Douglas looked 3 levels above any of our cms - there's a big chance city will sign him back - maybe a loan could be on

I think we as fans have given up on Gomes, I doubt the management have, Gmblammo is a risk yes.

I doubt Davies is going anywhere, but of course if we shift Iceland or Delph that leaves us short.

DM/CM/AM
André Gomes
Jean-Philippe Gbamin
Gylfi Sigurðsson (HG)
Tom Davies (HG)
Fabian Delph (HG)
Muhamed Bešić
Kieran Dowell (HG)
Beni Baningime (HG)
Callum Connolly (HG)

We have these options currently.
I'd keep Gbamin as he's currently unsellable and Davies as he's fine for 4th or 5th choice. The rest can go.

He's looked alot better after lockdown. Pre lockdown he didnt seem anything like as good.

On post lockdown form hes a very good player.

I think we as fans have given up on Gomes, I doubt the management have, Gmblammo is a risk yes.

I doubt Davies is going anywhere, but of course if we shift Iceland or Delph that leaves us short.

DM/CM/AM
André Gomes
Jean-Philippe Gbamin
Gylfi Sigurðsson (HG)
Tom Davies (HG)
Fabian Delph (HG)
Muhamed Bešić
Kieran Dowell (HG)
Beni Baningime (HG)
Callum Connolly (HG)

We have these options currently.

Half of them ain’t first teamer and Championship standard quality. Besic, Dowell and Connolly?Looks like Baningime won’t have a future at this club too.

There are some great players in the Championship.

Said Benrahma
Eberechi Eze
Ollie Watkins

All three could easily play in the Premier League next season.

Two of them probably will for sure. I like the look of Eze too. Lots of potential. Wolves signing for sure.

To some extent it's been a perfect storm. Sell our best CM and replace him with an experienced CM who's been injured and poor, and a powerhouse who needs time to adapt who's had two horrendous and nto played a full game.

Meanwhile the best remainign midfielder also gets a serious leg break.

That alone does you in. Brands can be blamed for lots of things but a lot of that is bad luck. If Liverpool lose Salah and Mane they have a big drop off.

You then have the story of Davies just not improving & Sigurdssons legs going. A perfect storm. You can't really plan for that tooe asily, as you say.

If it's me I clear them all our bar Gomes, but it's not easy. If Delph has to stay for another season, particularly to allow Davies to maybe go on loan so be it. It's pragmatic, a bit like Sidibe, but if Kenny coms in and makes the RB birth his own it's paid off I suppose.

I'd buy 2 CM's though, before I looked at any other area

I think you can't look at buying two without shifting at least one of the current crop. I would think Gomes is going nowhere, Even if we wanted to sell Gbmamin I doubt we could, Davies will stay as a squad option who contributes a homegrown spot to the squad as of next season. Sigurdsson I would hope would be on his way, Delph fits the same profile as Davies but I'd sell if I could as he's probably on twice what Tom is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back