Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as this made me laugh, I'd take a punt on him.

His injury record is obviously a concern, but he always looks a class act when he's on the pitch.

The one issue I'd have with him, is his desire. He mist be what 24 now and hasn't really pushed for a move.

The thing is though, a lot of those who might turn their nose up now, would have advodated paying £60m 2 years ago on the back of a decent Euro's. His stick is low now but it's ultimately the same player.

Only because he plays for Chelsea. Theres no way he would be worth that if he played for us. Look at Ibe and that other one that signed for Bournemouth. They were bang average at best and they signed them for pretty much what they got Mane for. We have those players and we are begging people to take them.

The 19 year old is on more than just about every single one of our players. I think Gylfi may be a match(*retch*) with how much he gets a week. Completely swerve..

Hudson Odoi is a lot better than Ibe though, at the same age. I mean he was the best in his age group, in a year group that won the world cup. There are always risks with such players, but he has wonderful ability.

Looks like a signing for Germany though.

That's a fair way of looking at it I suppose. Just think, again, the motivation issue comes in to play. He's already got his monster contract at Chelsea who is challenging for almost everything. To take a step down to Everton you have to wonder if his motivation/heart would even be in it.
He's 19 so I gotta think he isn't at the point where he's going to mail it in and collect pay checks. International football, trophies, and working your way back up are all still attainable even if he has to step down for a bit.

You also have to factor in the expectation, culture and basis of strategic links that differ from PSV/Alkmaar to an Everton under Moshiri. The expectation is clearly to be successful very quickly, with lots of money spent. The culture of the club is not the same as in Holland, where it is accepted they buy players in, train them up and move them on. That doesn't exist in England and it certainly isn't one that is welcomed at Everton. There is also the lack of links that Holland has with South America, which makes permits etc more difficult to acquire.

The odd 1 or 2 here or there is fine, but on the whole it's not a great recruiting ground for what we are trying to do. In truth I think we need to recruit mkore from the lower leagues in England. Calvert Lewin & Holgate look two key men currently, while Brainthwaite looks very promising. We've also turned big profits on Lookman and Stones. It doesn't perhaps have the glamour of signijgn from South America, but it has been very effective for us.
Doesn’t buying from the lower leagues run counter to the notion of quick success?

You also have to factor in the expectation, culture and basis of strategic links that differ from PSV/Alkmaar to an Everton under Moshiri. The expectation is clearly to be successful very quickly, with lots of money spent. The culture of the club is not the same as in Holland, where it is accepted they buy players in, train them up and move them on. That doesn't exist in England and it certainly isn't one that is welcomed at Everton. There is also the lack of links that Holland has with South America, which makes permits etc more difficult to acquire.

The odd 1 or 2 here or there is fine, but on the whole it's not a great recruiting ground for what we are trying to do. In truth I think we need to recruit mkore from the lower leagues in England. Calvert Lewin & Holgate look two key men currently, while Brainthwaite looks very promising. We've also turned big profits on Lookman and Stones. It doesn't perhaps have the glamour of signijgn from South America, but it has been very effective for us.

I dont think Brands is in a hurry.

From what I read his plans normally take 4 years.

Doesn’t buying from the lower leagues run counter to the notion of quick success?

In a lot of ways yes. I think what it can do, is give you quite a quick uplift which I suppose is what a lot of people are after. I suppose the two points are seperate though. The club clearly want quite quick success, but I think a wiser strategy would be to look to the lower leagues.

I dont think Brands is in a hurry.

From what I read his plans normally take 4 years.

Most of what DOF's do is long term. I do think though, Moshiri wants quicker success than that.

It's hard, and I find it hard, but some of the players we have, if they have better players around them, and a pre-season undr Ancelotti may come good. I really can't have a good word to say about him, but there's the potential the likes of Iwobi fall into this bracket. He seems to play him a fair bit. So while we asre all denouncing last summers intake, in 12 months on 1 or 2 of them we could have a different view.

We are beginnign to create pathways for younger players, which is a positive as well.

Most of what DOF's do is long term. I do think though, Moshiri wants quicker success than that.

It's hard, and I find it hard, but some of the players we have, if they have better players around them, and a pre-season undr Ancelotti may come good. I really can't have a good word to say about him, but there's the potential the likes of Iwobi fall into this bracket. He seems to play him a fair bit. So while we asre all denouncing last summers intake, in 12 months on 1 or 2 of them we could have a different view.

We are beginnign to create pathways for younger players, which is a positive as well.
Losing your 3 first choice CMs all season is just something you cant plan for.

The one issue I'd have with him, is his desire. He mist be what 24 now and hasn't really pushed for a move.

The thing is though, a lot of those who might turn their nose up now, would have advodated paying £60m 2 years ago on the back of a decent Euro's. His stick is low now but it's ultimately the same player.
If I was looking to give him the benefit of the doubt, I'd say that the long absences through injury (didn't he have a cracked disc in his back at one point?) are a reasonable excuse for being a bit behind where he should be. Usually, though, I'd definitely agree that a 24-year-old is well overdue to be starting week in, week out, and as much as Chelsea seem to have kept faith with him, they're unlikely to make him a guaranteed starter ahead of players that have been brought in for serious money.

I'd be a bit less enthusiastic about Hudson-Odoi, as I've always felt he was christened a rising star before he'd really done anything at senior level. At the same time, it's tricky to judge Chelsea players because they don't really operate like any other club, and so my general opinion on promoting youth - I think that if an academy graduate is going to make it at a truly top side, they'll find themselves playing regularly as teenagers - sort of goes out the window.

Last edited:
Losing your 3 first choice CMs all season is just something you cant plan for.

Gbamin and Gomes yes for sure. I have my doubts Gbamin will ever be the same player as well. Thats a massive loss. Most of our midfielders probably look better next to Gbamin if he's at his best.

However Delph I can't give him. The lad was injury prone for years. That was just a poor buy. I can understand the rational, but it's a poor buy.

Gbamin and Gomes yes for sure. I have my doubts Gbamin will ever be the same player as well. Thats a massive loss. Most of our midfielders probably look better next to Gbamin if he's at his best.

However Delph I can't give him. The lad was injury prone for years. That was just a poor buy. I can understand the rational, but it's a poor buy.

Yeah Delph wasnt really a shocker.

And yeah im very concerned with what player Gmblammo returns as.

Hes suffered 2 VERY serious injuries and they will certainly have an impact.

Yakubu was terrible after his Achilles.

If I was looking to give him the benefit of the doubt, I'd say that the long absences through injury (didn't he have a cracked disc in his back at one point?) are a reasonable excuse for being a bit behind where he should be. Usually, though, I'd definitely agree that a 24-year-old is well overdue to be starting week in, week out, and as much as Chelsea seem to have kept faith with him, they're unlikely to make him a guaranteed starter ahead of players that have been brought in for serious money.

I'd be a bit less enthusiastic about Hudson-Odoi, as I've always felt he was christened a rising star before he'd really done anything at senior level. At the same time, it's tricky to judge Chelsea players because they don't really operate like any other club, and so my opinion opinion - I think that if an academy graduate is going to make it at a truly top side, they'll find themselves playing regularly as teenagers - sort of goes out the window.
Loftus-Cheek wouldn't work unless we changed the system. He could a good #8 but doesn't fit a 2 man midfield. Hudson-Odoi is still 19 and actually has done plenty at senior level relative to how much he has played. I think you should look again on that one. Either could be decent signings but Hudson-Odoi especially imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back