Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats a sample mate, within a range any one can pick one to prove their point. You can go back 50 years to disprove the point and prove a cycle.

As I said the fact it’s gone from top 2, to top 4, to big six shows in a short space of time that’s how dynamic it can be if your not weighed by the mental construct.
Yes that's fair but it isn't that random when it is the most recent years if we're talking the current environment. Also you can't really pick a sample that materially changes it in England without going back a crazy number of years. Yeah football was different in the 80s and 90s I'll concede that.

Thats a sample mate, within a range any one can pick one to prove their point. You can go back 50 years to disprove the point and prove a cycle.

As I said the fact it’s gone from top 2, to top 4, to big six shows in a short space of time that’s how dynamic it can be if your not weighed by the mental construct.
It’s a different game now though isn’t it. 50 years ago you could have a rubbish season, make a couple of signings and win the league. It’s a cartel now, the top teams earn infinitely more money than we do, and we’re not allowed to spend more until we earn more. It’s not some weird coincidence, just look at what happened to Leicester; they went against everything and won the league, but rather than catapulting them into the elite they just found that the top 6 plundered their best players. There’s no way that would have happened 30/40/50 years ago, it’s comparing apples and oranges.

Yes that's fair but it isn't that random when it is the most recent years if we're talking the current environment. Also you can't really pick a sample that materially changes it in England without going back a crazy number of years. Yeah football was different in the 80s and 90s I'll concede that.

When you actually think about the whole certainty around top 4 is random. For example, take City & Chelsea, a short while ago Chelsea and City may as well have been Villa and Forrest, defo were not Big 4 territory, they are new realitvely. Blackburn were the City and Chelsea of the time just before and crashed the CL. So from that point of view say Burnley and Sheff Utd are taken over in five years time by oil rich foreigners we are into what then the big 8. That’s how bizarrely Random and variable it can be.

We move into a new ground, our turnover jumps by 50% we qualify, big 9? Wolves taken over a couple a years ago, would we be surprised if they have a good season and get top 4 next season, over say Arsenal or Spurs, I wouldn’t be.

I just think based on past history, recent developments and the nature of change in football it’s dynamic. Actually City and Chelsea are prime examples of how dynamic it can be, they were just run of the mill rank and file clubs until relatively recently in the history of football. In fact we for example are far more constant as a football club over football history.

When you actually think about the whole certainty around top 4 is random. For example, take City & Chelsea, a short while ago Chelsea and City may as well have been Villa and Forrest, defo were not Big 4 territory, they are new realitvely. So from that point of view say Burnley and Sheff Utd are taken over in five years time by oil rich foreigners we are into what then the big 8.

Blackburn to they were the a City and Chelsea of the time just before and crashed the CL.

We move into a new ground, our turnover jumps by 50% we qualify, big 9? Wolves taken over a couple a years ago, would we be surprised if they have a good season and get top 4 next season, over sat Arsenal or Spurs, I wouldn’t be.

I just think based on past history, recent developments and the nature of change in football it’s dynamic. Actually City and Chelsea are prime examples of how dynamic it can be, they were just run of the mill rank and file clubs until relatively recently in the history of football. In fact we for example are far more constant as a football club over football history.
What isn't random is teams making it in the CL haphazardly. Yes teams do jump up but they do it with a sustainable squad more often than not. Which is all to say we shouldn't be making short term signings yet or really ever.

What isn't random is teams making it in the CL haphazardly. Yes teams do jump up but they do it with a sustainable squad more often than not. Which is all to say we shouldn't be making short term signings yet or really ever.
I take your point mate, that’s the route we have to go through. To be fair there are examples of teams turning over a lot of players to get there to and burning through money and transfers to stay there season on season. But yeah we would want to do it differently. We need to look at the Spurs model.

In that case I'll refresh your memory. You think it makes sense to be going from a 22 year old with a high ceiling for €20m then pivot to a 28 year old journeyman for €5m less?
Well I don't think Gabriel is only 20m, nearer to 30m I think?

If we need a CB I don't really dont think it matters the age.

I think Gabriel is also massively overhyped and most people have fallen in love with his name rather than his talent.

It makes sense cos it means we get a CB and CM, if rumours are to be believed that's 2 of our targets, you don't get much CB for 15m. So if this lad has talent and I'm not sure if he does, then the deal makes sense to me, yes.

Buying 2 players who have never played in the league is a risk and its likely neither will have any resale, but if Carlo wants them both, I'm all for backing our managers, its a stance I've never changed

Screenshot_20200815-211930.webp

I'm still an advocate for getting Thiago Silva on a free for a couple of years. He's still playing champions League football, brings a great attitude and amount of winning experience to the dressing room. He could teach Mina, Holgate and Braithwaite so much, meaning that when he eventually leaves in a couple years were set for CB options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back