Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
As it transpired admittedly and your view will be the popular one, i do wonder would he have got a tune out of the players he signed and built a team, we will never know, not signing a striker that window was massively poor by everyone involved. I think everyone was happy with him for a season and we lost our load after ten games and jumped the gun, we haven't had sniff of Europe since. Its important to reflect sometimes on sliding doors moments.

All that said im never one for sacking managers, wily, nily like we have been.

I’m going with no.

I liked Lookman and Vlasic myself. DCL wasnt a bad bit of business either.
True. But the ‘marquee’ signings didn’t really work out. I like Keane but he deffo has his limitations. Pickford seems like he’s lost the plot and Sigurdsson was madness.

He recruited Bolaise, klaasen, Sandro, siggurdson , pickford among others. It was an absolute disaster.
I would have allardyce back before him.
Him and Walsh are the 2 people connected with the club is hate the most.

Thats cool mate, im not trying to change your mind. Just reflecting really, he could be the next Barca manager im sure that is strange for many.

Last edited:
True. But the ‘marquee’ signings didn’t really work out. I like Keane but he deffo has his limitations. Pickford seems like he’s lost the plot and Sigurdsson was madness.

Agreed though id be a confirmed Gylfi fan, hes a bit of a spare wheel now admittedly, given we keep chopping and changing managers, that has been part of our problem really. Players have been signed by one manager, then dont fit under another, thus become what everyone is saying is "poor recruitment" the club and its decisions have been part of the problem.

Last edited:

Agreed though id be a confirmed Gylfi fan, hes a bit of a spare wheel now admittedly, given we keep chopping and changing managers, that has been part of our problem really. Players have been signed by one manager, then dont fit under another, thus become what everyone is saying as "poor recruitment" the club and its decisions have been part of the problem.
I’d agree that Gylfi can be an asset in the right system, but his form this season has been awful. He was/is a good player but I think we massively overpaid for him. He was probably a £25 million player.

Agree that the managerial merry go round has compounded the recruitment problems. I don’t think I really wanted us to sack Koeman, but the team looked so awful there wasn’t much choice.

Isnt it though, maybe its the Cruyff link and hes a legend there, like us giving Joe Royle the job.

Hasnt got the job yet, maybe he wont.
I think it must be the club links. He was some player for them.

Ballague saying he was approached by Barca in Jan but turned them down to concentrate on the Euros. Apparently has had a change of heart after his recent health scare.

Imagine a couple years ago saying Martinez got the job of one of the best national teams in the world, Koeman got the Barca job and we ended up with Carlo Ancelotti. You’d have assumed that we were a consistently great team challenging for league titles not in fear of a relegation battle every second season. Christ how’s it all gone so wrong recently.

has Lewis Dunk been mentioned on here? I've always been impressed by him. no frills, good, honest, consistent centre-back and at 28, still with some gas in the tank.

I’d agree that Gylfi can be an asset in the right system, but his form this season has been awful. He was/is a good player but I think we massively overpaid for him. He was probably a £25 million player.

Agree that the managerial merry go round has compounded the recruitment problems. I don’t think I really wanted us to sack Koeman, but the team looked so awful there wasn’t much choice.

We probably did, but i suspect he was key to the plan at the time for Koeman. Gylfi has been awful but he is never a central midfielder so he has my sympathy, i see him as a 10, in the position he played in Silva's full season in charge. we all know he was double digit returns and there is a significant value on that in the PL.

But here we are again, a new manager and that might be redundant. I have sympathy for Gylfi. If im honest if i was him id be looking for a move away its been a poor move for him all in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back