Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could Uzmanov just not buy a load of Everton shirts, like £100 million worth?

Depends on the distribution deal. I know a previous deal that Elkstone was involved in guaranteed us a certain amount but we couldn't exceed that no matter how many shirts we sold, we may have just got a small bonus.

But generally speaking, that's the sort of increased revenue streams you would need. Let's say we clear £50 worth of profit for each shirt sold. That's still 2 million shirts to give us that £100m. Or amount 1/10th of James Rodriguez followers on social media...

Maybe they have a plan after all?

Mate we know you hate Gomes because he's now over 25 but that first season he looked like everything we wanted in a midfielder, he lacked goals yes but he dictated play carried the ball and just muscled passed people for fun. He was absolutely brilliant away at Anfield and only a poor header away from winning us the game. I see that's the only part of my post you've chose to pick up on too. Yes he needs consistency but playing next to Gylfi and Davies will kill any midfielder. I back him to improve hugely this season next to actual real life footballers
I was a massive Gomes fan. But then I realised that he doesn’t play well every week. In fact, he’s dreadful most weeks. That’s the difference between crap, average, above average and good players. He doesn’t go further than that. When will our fans realise that playing well every whenever games (6,7,8, works games even) doesn’t contribute a good player. If we had eleven Gomes’ playing for us, we would be Bottom

I was a massive Gomes fan. But then I realised that he doesn’t play well every week. In fact, he’s dreadful most weeks. That’s the difference between crap, average, above average and good players. He doesn’t go further than that. When will our fans realise that playing well every whenever games (6,7,8, works games even) doesn’t contribute a good player. If we had eleven Gomes’ playing for us, we would be Bottom

I'd accept that entirely. I think the hope is that he might feel a bit liberated with some bite and aggression in midfield.

His issues are psychological in the main, I don't think he backs his own ability and is dragged down by a "star" label in a team that is clearly struggling.

That's only a hope though. Even before his injury he was far too much of a sideways crab for me.

Not being considered an automatic starter might also perversely take some pressure off. But we need to see a far more impactful contribution from him, his goals and assists numbers are unacceptable for a player with the reputation he has.

Depends on the distribution deal. I know a previous deal that Elkstone was involved in guaranteed us a certain amount but we couldn't exceed that no matter how many shirts we sold, we may have just got a small bonus.

But generally speaking, that's the sort of increased revenue streams you would need. Let's say we clear £50 worth of profit for each shirt sold. That's still 2 million shirts to give us that £100m. Or amount 1/10th of James Rodriguez followers on social media...

Maybe they have a plan after all?
Shirt sales "paying for players" really isn't a thing. Even when Ronaldo signed for Madrid, the increase on their commercial income was relatively negligible.

The question you need to ask isn't "how many people will buy a shirt with his name on?", it's "How many people will buy a shirt with his name on who otherwise wouldn't have bought a shirt at all"

Liverpool sell a TOTAL of about 1.2m shirts a year. The profit (to the club) on each will also be hugely less than £50, even in a really good commercial deal.

I'd accept that entirely. I think the hope is that he might feel a bit liberated with some bite and aggression in midfield.

His issues are psychological in the main, I don't think he backs his own ability and is dragged down by a "star" label in a team that is clearly struggling.

That's only a hope though. Even before his injury he was far too much of a sideways crab for me.

Not being considered an automatic starter might also perversely take some pressure off. But we need to see a far more impactful contribution from him, his goals and assists numbers are unacceptable for a player with the reputation he has.
I had the same argument about Bernard 12 months ago about fans who went overboard on a 10 minute spell with a nutmeg and a drag back. Consistency makes good players. Not the odd game, Liverpool away, Sheff it’s away. People even mention the game......imagine mentioning a Particular game about actual good players......

Pretty much our whole team have been under performing or unable to achieve any consistency. I can't imagine seeing our midfield line up every week was motivational, so now we seem to be bolstering the midfield in hoping it will raise all the players games. Playing with better players will definitely improve their games so there'll be no excuses this season. Except a global pandemic and no fans in the stadium

If you had 11 Messi’s you’d be bottom!! Gomes is class and will benefit from the right blend in midfield. We all need to see the bigger picture.

If you had 11 Messi’s you’d be bottom!! Gomes is class and will benefit from the right blend in midfield. We all need to see the bigger picture.
If you had eleven messis you would
Not be bottom. My point was more based around consistency and attitude. Eleven messis in their position would be.........

Shirt sales "paying for players" really isn't a thing. Even when Ronaldo signed for Madrid, the increase on their commercial income was relatively negligible.

The question you need to ask isn't "how many people will buy a shirt with his name on?", it's "How many people will buy a shirt with his name on who otherwise wouldn't have bought a shirt at all"

Liverpool sell a TOTAL of about 1.2m shirts a year. The profit (to the club) on each will also be hugely less than £50, even in a really good commercial deal.

Yeah, I agree, I was essentially saying it was unlikely myself based on the requirements of the distribution deal and numbers of shirts, combined with profit amount, but that was a simplified example to show what would be needed.

However, if you were ever going to make a profit this way, cheaply made shirts with badges that fall off to maximise the return per shirt and signing 1 of the biggest stars on the planet with over 20 million social media followers, would be the way to go.

Just imagine Saul "Moshiri" Goodman explaining the concept of "Zombies" to Usmanov, and why signing Rodriguez is a great idea.

Last edited:
Mate we know you hate Gomes because he's now over 25 but that first season he looked like everything we wanted in a midfielder, he lacked goals yes but he dictated play carried the ball and just muscled passed people for fun. He was absolutely brilliant away at Anfield and only a poor header away from winning us the game. I see that's the only part of my post you've chose to pick up on too. Yes he needs consistency but playing next to Gylfi and Davies will kill any midfielder. I back him to improve hugely this season next to actual real life footballers

How old are the 3 midfielders ive been championing in James, Doucoure and Allan?

You begin to look a bit daft when arguing a poster doesnt like a player as they are 'old' when theyre younger than 3 players they want to sign.

Gomes certainly did have some fantastic games, lets say for arguments sake he had 5 or 6 of them. How many did he have when he was below average...the rest of them?

As for looking like 'everything we wanted in a midfielder', well it depends on what you want doesnt it? My favourite 2 centre mids in the premier league era for Everton are Gary Speed and Joe Parkinson.

You might say Gomes when in the mood is a superior passer than both, but he doesnt touch them for anything else.

I actually posted before we signed him that i would hope we wouldnt go over £18mil for him but £22mil was 'ok'. I fancy him to find it very hard to be in the team after xmas.

As for playing next to Gylfi or Davies killing any midfielder, I sincerely doubt it would kill Gana or Allan for example or even Speed or Parkinson when they were at the club.

If we compare Gomes to Robert Prosinecki at 25 years of age...one was a superstar and the other is a very handaome inconsistent player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back