Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coleman has developed under a very competent defensive right back for us. I've noted it a few times, when playing against a direct winger, often with a low centre of gravity, he goes man to man and generally at least gives as good as he gets. Watch the game against Mane last year at Goodison, or the game against Hazard when we played Chelsea etc. They don't get much change out of him. Compared to Sidibe, who when up against Mane in December, or Aubamyang earlier on he was absolutely nowhere.

I think most other elements of his game are a bit questionable but he still has great ability to go up close and put it on the top wingers. Thats something that has developed with him over time. You think if we were to get a young attacking fullback in, they may get some games playing ahead of Coleman in big games, where the manager sacrifices a bit going the other way to be more solid.
It's mad how he's evolved,
Started off as a defensively poor, flying attacking fullback,
Now he's a defensively solid rb who doesn't offer much going forward

problem Is we bought three last summer and they’ve barely played. If Gomes Gbamin and Delph stay fit next season then it will look silly if we’ve bought another two CMs (unless we sell Schneiderlin Siggurdson Davies Baningime Besic) all in the one window. I suppose that would leave us with 5 CMs which wouldn’t be that bad but in a 442, that means three won’t be playing on a regular basis.

Full disclosure that I missed Davies's flick in stoppage time (I had pencilled on a toilet trip to try and wind the clock down!) but came back to my dad fuming with him before the free kick was due to be taken. That appears to have shifted a lot of opinion on Tom.

However in general I thought Gomes and Davies did very well against their midfield yesterday. They were generally always up against 3 and Liverpool rotated 5 players in that position. I don't think they "won the battle" by any stretch but I thought we were competitive and didn't get overran in their. While it's a low bar, I still think it's worth saying that's a pretty good achievement. I think back to even that Chelsea came before the re-start and they just played through our midfield with ease.

Whenever I have seen Gomes and Davies together, for whatever reason they seem well suited. Borth players can pass the ball forward, they are both quite mobile and can carry the ball. I really don't want to go overboard, but most of our other partnerships just look ill balanced to me. I hope they can both stay fit and get a bit of a run together.

It's mad how he's evolved,
Started off as a defensively poor, flying attacking fullback,
Now he's a defensively solid rb who doesn't offer much going forward

I think the game has changed and he's aged a bit. When he first started your Gary Neville's, Tony HIbberts etc were fairly standard fair for a right back. It was fundamentally a defensive position, and he had good energy and intensity moving forward. Over time that position has become increasingly occupied by cuter, trickier players more akin to wingers.

On the flip side, he has really improved his defensive game. He seems a model pro and has really add that to his game. I mean, to be balanced a lot of what he does isn't standard "great defending". He does probably still get a bit too close, and is unaware of his blind spots. A winger who is less involved and will hold position will exploit it, and at times cleverer centre forwards can exploit the spaces he leaves, as he almost goes man to man with the wide player. He is a very strong 1 to 1 defender though, he has a low centre of gravity, powerful, aggressive, turns well etc. Mane go no change out of him yesterday.

Nothing new to be learnt from the game.

Deep defence = Keane / Coleman play well.

Midfield awful.

The issue may be, on the interim basis at least that we may have to sacrifice this much desired game of pushing the defence up the pitch for more pragmatic solutions. It seems to suit us playing on the break and most of our defenders seem happier defending deep.

I really like Mina, but Holgate is increasingly our key man in defence as he just knits it all together and as you say, if you ask Keane to defend his box he is very good at this.

Coleman has developed under a very competent defensive right back for us. I've noted it a few times, when playing against a direct winger, often with a low centre of gravity, he goes man to man and generally at least gives as good as he gets. Watch the game against Mane last year at Goodison, or the game against Hazard when we played Chelsea etc. They don't get much change out of him. Compared to Sidibe, who when up against Mane in December, or Aubamyang earlier on he was absolutely nowhere.

I think most other elements of his game are a bit questionable but he still has great ability to go up close and put it on the top wingers. Thats something that has developed with him over time. You think if we were to get a young attacking fullback in, they may get some games playing ahead of Coleman in big games, where the manager sacrifices a bit going the other way to be more solid.
We have so many problems with our team and a significant number of players to replace it's hard to know where to start.

Coleman has demonstrated that defensively he is ok. I'd like to see a really competant right midfielder in front of him and then the right handside of the team may be adequate - not brilliant , just adequate.

IMO ( hardly needs a genius to work it out ) the biggest problems are in midfield. Delph - permanently injured.
Gomes - good technique but doesn't have the legs to get around the park.
Davies - a bit of a headless chicken with sometimes terrible game management and technique not of the level needed.
Iwobi - no idea what his best position is or whether he has one. He isn't a wide player and isn't a central midfielder. A no10 ? Perhaps but we don't play with one.
Sigurdsson - May have been a decent no10 but I've never seen it , clearly can't play any other position.
Bernard - some nice touches but no end product and it appears that Carlo doesn't trust him.
Gordon - developing. Happy to seem him given games in the rest of this meaningless season, but at best he is one for the future
Schneiderlin - hopefully gone soon.
Gbamin - will he ever be fit and if so what will he be like after 2 terrible injuries ?
Walcott - demonstrated time after time that he isn't good enough
Bolasie - please don't get me started.

So , if we have any aspirations next season we need a whole new midfield , 4 starters and that's a big ask in terms of finance and integration but on what Carlo has seen thus far I can't see him accepting anything less.

We need another centre half too.

Ideally we need a new keeper and , yes a right back , but for now we surely have to prioritise and that can only mean 4 midfielders and try to get rid of at least 4 of the aforementioned so called midfielders.

For me:

OUT:

Bolasie
Sandro
Siggurdsson
Schneiderlin
Keane
Kean
Kenny
Davies
Besic
Bernard (like him but think he'll be off)

Plenty of dough there to reinvest in a few decent players and a lot of wages off the books.

Gomes just can't get around I hope it's him still coming back but he lack legs. Davies works hard but is like a headless chicken and can't control possession. We need two minnimum.

We said this for 2 years after Gomes leg break.

First game back and that’s fine, but was so far off the pace yesterday. Before his injury he wasn’t pacy anyway; so let’s see how he does after a bit of match fitness.

As for Davies, the amount of times he just hoofed it yesterday, at least 3 times out of play too, when there were genuine options, just made me fume.
You’re playing for your Everton future, show a bit of effort.

We said this for 2 years after Gomes leg break.

First game back and that’s fine, but was so far off the pace yesterday. Before his injury he wasn’t pacy anyway; so let’s see how he does after a bit of match fitness.

As for Davies, the amount of times he just hoofed it yesterday, at least 3 times out of play too, when there were genuine options, just made me fume.
You’re playing for your Everton future, show a bit of effort.

The sad thing is mate, he's not. He's on a multi-year deal, and the fanbase has accepted performance levels from him like last night. I've even seen people vote him as man of the match.

Full disclosure that I missed Davies's flick in stoppage time (I had pencilled on a toilet trip to try and wind the clock down!) but came back to my dad fuming with him before the free kick was due to be taken. That appears to have shifted a lot of opinion on Tom.

However in general I thought Gomes and Davies did very well against their midfield yesterday. They were generally always up against 3 and Liverpool rotated 5 players in that position. I don't think they "won the battle" by any stretch but I thought we were competitive and didn't get overran in their. While it's a low bar, I still think it's worth saying that's a pretty good achievement. I think back to even that Chelsea came before the re-start and they just played through our midfield with ease.

Whenever I have seen Gomes and Davies together, for whatever reason they seem well suited. Borth players can pass the ball forward, they are both quite mobile and can carry the ball. I really don't want to go overboard, but most of our other partnerships just look ill balanced to me. I hope they can both stay fit and get a bit of a run together.
Neither player could be called mobile and davies cannot carry the ball, he get's it stuck under his bandy gait and always releases it too late. He is simply not good enough. Gomes takes too long on the ball and is also not mobile enough, but he can see a pass. We need 2 more CMs, end of.

We have so many problems with our team and a significant number of players to replace it's hard to know where to start.

Coleman has demonstrated that defensively he is ok. I'd like to see a really competant right midfielder in front of him and then the right handside of the team may be adequate - not brilliant , just adequate.

IMO ( hardly needs a genius to work it out ) the biggest problems are in midfield. Delph - permanently injured.
Gomes - good technique but doesn't have the legs to get around the park.
Davies - a bit of a headless chicken with sometimes terrible game management and technique not of the level needed.
Iwobi - no idea what his best position is or whether he has one. He isn't a wide player and isn't a central midfielder. A no10 ? Perhaps but we don't play with one.
Sigurdsson - May have been a decent no10 but I've never seen it , clearly can't play any other position.
Bernard - some nice touches but no end product and it appears that Carlo doesn't trust him.
Gordon - developing. Happy to seem him given games in the rest of this meaningless season, but at best he is one for the future
Schneiderlin - hopefully gone soon.
Gbamin - will he ever be fit and if so what will he be like after 2 terrible injuries ?
Walcott - demonstrated time after time that he isn't good enough
Bolasie - please don't get me started.

So , if we have any aspirations next season we need a whole new midfield , 4 starters and that's a big ask in terms of finance and integration but on what Carlo has seen thus far I can't see him accepting anything less.

We need another centre half too.

Ideally we need a new keeper and , yes a right back , but for now we surely have to prioritise and that can only mean 4 midfielders and try to get rid of at least 4 of the aforementioned so called midfielders.

All probably fair. However I think it's difficult to completely overhaul a team in a single window. Many of the players showed yesterday, in the right system the can be competitive with the best team in the country. I'm not saying they are perfect, but I suppose they are a higher calibre of deadwood compared to previous years!

The game against Norwich is much more important though. These are the games we need to start going and winning if we really want to move forward. Are we able to beequally solid defensively, but also begin to be more clinical in the latter stages of matches?

Neither player could be called mobile and davies cannot carry the ball, he get's it stuck under his bandy gait and always releases it too late. He is simply not good enough. Gomes takes too long on the ball and is also not mobile enough, but he can see a pass. We need 2 more CMs, end of.

Yep in a 442 we are going to need 2x mobile and good passers of the ball.

Excited to see who Carlo has his eyes on - just hope the club kin back him.

...the break might have actually been good for Coleman. 10 games in a row might not be an issue, but 3 a week might be. I wonder if Kyle John might be given an opportunity and if so, those two might just do us in the short-term. It’s a big chance for John if he get’s a game.

I like Coleman lots and I imagine the manager loves having him around USM FF as any club needs his type of professional. He might not be a regular going forward, but I still think he’ll be around.

I'd guess anyone that wasen't on the bench yesterday wont get an opportunity. We had 2 goalies on there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back