Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coleman has developed under a very competent defensive right back for us. I've noted it a few times, when playing against a direct winger, often with a low centre of gravity, he goes man to man and generally at least gives as good as he gets. Watch the game against Mane last year at Goodison, or the game against Hazard when we played Chelsea etc. They don't get much change out of him. Compared to Sidibe, who when up against Mane in December, or Aubamyang earlier on he was absolutely nowhere.

I think most other elements of his game are a bit questionable but he still has great ability to go up close and put it on the top wingers. Thats something that has developed with him over time. You think if we were to get a young attacking fullback in, they may get some games playing ahead of Coleman in big games, where the manager sacrifices a bit going the other way to be more solid.

...the break might have actually been good for Coleman. 10 games in a row might not be an issue, but 3 a week might be. I wonder if Kyle John might be given an opportunity and if so, those two might just do us in the short-term. It’s a big chance for John if he get’s a game.

I like Coleman lots and I imagine the manager loves having him around USM FF as any club needs his type of professional. He might not be a regular going forward, but I still think he’ll be around.

Coleman is fine as a backup option for a season.

Kyle John may be ok as well in games next season. Though Martina was preferred yesterday.

We need a starting right back and to hope they dont miss a few games in a row.

problem Is we bought three last summer and they’ve barely played. If Gomes Gbamin and Delph stay fit next season then it will look silly if we’ve bought another two CMs (unless we sell Schneiderlin Siggurdson Davies Baningime Besic) all in the one window. I suppose that would leave us with 5 CMs which wouldn’t be that bad but in a 442, that means three won’t be playing on a regular basis.

Gomes isnt great in a 2
Davies needs to improve
Gbamin is out till Xmas
Delph is always injured

We defo need two

The sad thing is mate, he's not. He's on a multi-year deal, and the fanbase has accepted performance levels from him like last night. I've even seen people vote him as man of the match.

It’s one of them, if he’s from Serbia or something, he’d be dropped years ago.

Regularly goes missing, can’t pass, can’t tackle, doesn’t have any vision.

But it’s sound cause he’s scouse and we love a scouse player.

The bench was telling yesterday it's clear Carlo only rates Gordon, Beni and Braithwaite of the kids. We are desperate in midfield, desperate. We must have something lined up with Morgan going.

It’s one of them, if he’s from Serbia or something, he’d be dropped years ago.

Regularly goes missing, can’t pass, can’t tackle, doesn’t have any vision.

But it’s sound cause he’s scouse and we love a scouse player.

Exactly right. Like Vlasic, or Besic.

Coleman is fine as a backup option for a season.

Kyle John may be ok as well in games next season. Though Martina was preferred yesterday.

We need a starting right back and to hope they dont miss a few games in a row.

Gomes isnt great in a 2
Davies needs to improve
Gbamin is out till Xmas
Delph is always injured

We defo need two

yep ;) we need quality to

Full disclosure that I missed Davies's flick in stoppage time (I had pencilled on a toilet trip to try and wind the clock down!) but came back to my dad fuming with him before the free kick was due to be taken. That appears to have shifted a lot of opinion on Tom.

However in general I thought Gomes and Davies did very well against their midfield yesterday. They were generally always up against 3 and Liverpool rotated 5 players in that position. I don't think they "won the battle" by any stretch but I thought we were competitive and didn't get overran in their. While it's a low bar, I still think it's worth saying that's a pretty good achievement. I think back to even that Chelsea came before the re-start and they just played through our midfield with ease.

Whenever I have seen Gomes and Davies together, for whatever reason they seem well suited. Borth players can pass the ball forward, they are both quite mobile and can carry the ball. I really don't want to go overboard, but most of our other partnerships just look ill balanced to me. I hope they can both stay fit and get a bit of a run together.

Davies imo is the only player who can do the running for Gomes.

In a two im concerned how Gomes will perform this and next season.

We need huge money to spend this summer. So many positions aren’t adequately filled.

Depends on what you consider to be huge money.

Thiago Silva + Hojbjerg would be Free + £15-20mil i imagine.

Gabriel / Todibo around £20mil
A right back for £20mil

The expensive positions i think will be if we want a superstar right winger or midfielder.

The issue may be, on the interim basis at least that we may have to sacrifice this much desired game of pushing the defence up the pitch for more pragmatic solutions. It seems to suit us playing on the break and most of our defenders seem happier defending deep.

I really like Mina, but Holgate is increasingly our key man in defence as he just knits it all together and as you say, if you ask Keane to defend his box he is very good at this.

Holgate is now our key centre back. If Ancelotti wants to play deep and on the counter most games then Mina and Keane would be fine.

...I think @Raino85 made an excellent point about John, suggesting he’s unlikely to get an opportunity if he wasn’t on the bench. I actually thought the same. I imagine a RB is on the shopping list, unless Kenny is given an opportunity to share duties with Coleman.

Kenny seems to have played RWB mostly for Schalke...hes not looked good when ive seen him but perhaps Brands and Ancelotti think theres something to work with there...

Yes all very fair. I mean that Martina and a 2nd goalkeeper were on the bench ahead of him is quite telling (and in truth a bit disappointing). We have to make a decision on Kenny. If Brands comments have validity I can see Kenny coming back and starting. We also have to accept, if we are playing 2 up front, and play on the counter a little more, then the need to have very creative fullbacks is reduced somewhat.

Alot depends on how we want to setup of course.

if we do setup deep then i imagine we'll be after a really top quality right winger as opposed to spending big on a right back or centre mid.

The bench was telling yesterday it's clear Carlo only rates Gordon, Beni and Braithwaite of the kids. We are desperate in midfield, desperate. We must have something lined up with Morgan going.

Very odd we put 2 keepers on the bench along with Martina...

How much would 4 decent midfielders cost ?

Just asking for a friend.

I really feel like we need a lot of new players for the first XI.

Out of our current squad, I think there's only four players who definitely good enough to start in a team competing for a place towards the top of the table, and three who might be, depending on the setup:

Holgate
Digne
DCL
Richarlison
Mina (maybe, yet to be truly convinced)
Gomes (massive maybe for me, I like him but he just gets bypassed too easily. Might be good enough alongside a hugely energetic and mobile partner)
Bernard (another massive maybe – good player but inconsistent, goes missing too often)

I lost faith in Pickford a while back. We definitely need a new RB for obvious reasons. A rock-solid, non-injury-prone CB is a must.
If we're playing 442 and Richarlison is staying up front (which I think he should), we basically need an entirely new midfield.
We don't have wingers good enough for/suited to the way we're currently playing, and our CM options currently range from abysmal to average.

Work needed all over the squad, but some top quality in CM is absolutely crucial.

If we continue with 442 we need a properly good CM to partner Gomes. Him and Gueye worked very well so we need to create something like that again in Carlo’s image. A top CM is going to cost money but it is definitely a priority if we’re going to be outnumbered in midfield in most of the games we play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back