Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither player could be called mobile and davies cannot carry the ball, he get's it stuck under his bandy gait and always releases it too late. He is simply not good enough. Gomes takes too long on the ball and is also not mobile enough, but he can see a pass. We need 2 more CMs, end of.

I think both players are quite mobile actually. They both get around the pitch.

I don't think either won the battle yesterday, but up against 3 players they were competitive. There's no doubt in an ideal world we would sign 11 better players each season but there are constrains placed upon us. Between now and the end of the season I'd keep Davies and Gomes as our preferred solution. It's a low bar, but they look the bets combination to me. If we can get a starting player to come in, and play alongide Gomes in the summer that would be really helpful.

And yes Davies undoubtedly has to improve his decision making of when to carry the ball and when to move it to safety as it's a recurring theme with him.

Think Coleman's performance yesterday showed why we should be all in for Jayden Bogle in the summer.
Could probably get him for about 8-10m, and use him in the games we need to be attack minded.
Coleman being there for the more defensive games would allow Bogle to get settled without throwing him into the chip pan

I'd guess anyone that wasen't on the bench yesterday wont get an opportunity. We had 2 goalies on there

...after I posted I wondered if he was on the bench. I didn’t notice the subs, but I fear you’re spot on with that assessment. If John didn’t make the bench then it’s doubtful he’s in the plans.

Coleman has developed under a very competent defensive right back for us. I've noted it a few times, when playing against a direct winger, often with a low centre of gravity, he goes man to man and generally at least gives as good as he gets. Watch the game against Mane last year at Goodison, or the game against Hazard when we played Chelsea etc. They don't get much change out of him. Compared to Sidibe, who when up against Mane in December, or Aubamyang earlier on he was absolutely nowhere.

I think most other elements of his game are a bit questionable but he still has great ability to go up close and put it on the top wingers. Thats something that has developed with him over time. You think if we were to get a young attacking fullback in, they may get some games playing ahead of Coleman in big games, where the manager sacrifices a bit going the other way to be more solid.

...I think @Raino85 made an excellent point about John, suggesting he’s unlikely to get an opportunity if he wasn’t on the bench. I actually thought the same. I imagine a RB is on the shopping list, unless Kenny is given an opportunity to share duties with Coleman.

FFP delayed a year.
From what I can tell, the whole issue of FPP being relaxed is irrelevant. FPP is still there, it's just that any penalty for breaching it would be delayed a year. I think Brands already confirmed that we can't spend much due to FFP. We've wasted so much money.

From what I can tell, the whole issue of FPP being relaxed is irrelevant. FPP is still there, it's just that any penalty for breaching it would be delayed a year. I think Brands already confirmed that we can't spend much due to FFP. We've wasted so much money.

Yeh but gives teams a chance maybe to spend more this Summer then really cut back next Summer to offset it.

I think its worth taking the risk this year regardless and just go for it

If we finish top 4 next season we'll escape FFP by the increased revenue

If we dont I imagine Richarlison will likely be off the following season for £90+ million and we'll balance the books that way.

We still have assets to help us FFP speaking:

Bernard
Keane
Kenny
Davies

Just 4 players who we could sell this summer for a decent enough profit.

...I think @Raino85 made an excellent point about John, suggesting he’s unlikely to get an opportunity if he wasn’t on the bench. I actually thought the same. I imagine a RB is on the shopping list, unless Kenny is given an opportunity to share duties with Coleman.

Yes all very fair. I mean that Martina and a 2nd goalkeeper were on the bench ahead of him is quite telling (and in truth a bit disappointing). We have to make a decision on Kenny. If Brands comments have validity I can see Kenny coming back and starting. We also have to accept, if we are playing 2 up front, and play on the counter a little more, then the need to have very creative fullbacks is reduced somewhat.

We just have to be smart in our dealings. Buy a £30m player and pay over the duration of the contract e.g. Gabriel at 30m on a 5 year Deal, we pay 6m a year. Obviously we need the selling team to be happy with this too. But This means rather than Spending £30m, we only pay £6m This year.

Also as the window draws to a close and teams can’t shift their unwanted players, it may lead to a loan to buy market opening e.g the likes of Rabiot.

FFP isn’t our only restriction, our spending seems to be hampered even more by PL regulations. We can’t continue to operate as a business losing £100m+ a season. The losses operate over a 3/4 year cycle I think, and our poor spending in the past has caught up with us. Something like 31% of our wage bill goes on 18 players that have contributed zero to little minutes on the pitch this year. I think all/most will be gone by the end of next season, which I think Also starts the new cycle when we can spend a bit more again. It’s just a pity that the one window we got to spend big we wasted (the Davy klassen window).

I still think we will improve the squad we just need to be a bit cleverer than we have been previously.

Yeh but gives teams a chance maybe to spend more this Summer then really cut back next Summer to offset it.
Based on the size of our recent loses, it wouldn't be a matter of spending less next summer, it would probably be a matter of selling the likes of Richy, DCL, Digne etc - unless we qualify for the UCL. We are too far off that being a possibility yet IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back