Match Thread Everton v Brentford. Preview, Match Report and MotM poll

Your Everton MOTM vs Brentford

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andre Gomes aside we looked good till the sending off... changes and a different approach should have bene made at HT. To sit back in our own third at the start of the second half and invite Brantford on (and Eriksen in particualar ) was crazy and unsustainable

Am I the only one who thinks Branthwaite was not a red card? Toney just runs across him and throws himself. Three games we’ve played these now and he has “won” two pens and now got a player sent off against us
It was certainly very soft when you have the "Gordon always dives" set saying you can't initiate contact to win a foul. But going by the letter of the law it was a foul and a red. Another incident in the game was when a Brentford player ran into Iwobi and won a free kick. Some of the decisions are very subjective.

Am I the only one who thinks Branthwaite was not a red card? Toney just runs across him and throws himself. Three games we’ve played these now and he has “won” two pens and now got a player sent off against us

I think it was just about a red card (although obviously not if the pen is given), but it is a little harsh and where the rules are disproportionate. It's a goalscoring opportunity but I'm backing Pickford all day from that position.

Toney did what you want your forward to do and got across the man. JB should have let him run on goal or ran inside and tried to make a block rather than a tackle. He's very young, but it was not good defending at all.

Although it was no different than the one with Gordon against United that wasn't given. And if Richarlison had gone down in that situation, they would have called him a diver. So it's not the wrong decision by the referee, but there is very little consistency.

When you think about how athletico Madrid went 5-5–0 against Man City you wonder why dcl wasn’t taken off and Allan brought on to just defend the lead at half time because dcl was useless when we were down to 10 anyway
I don't think Allan was really fit

They said that VAR looked at it and wouldn't have overturned the decision if Oliver had given the penalty, but didn't tell him he should review it himself. This isn't the way VAR has been used in other games is it?
Jaysus, is that right.. so once again var has screwed us over. And it's supposed to be there to corrected/assist the ref. No wondered half this site has to wear tinfoil hats ?

Status
Not open for further replies.