Match Thread Everton v Chelsea. 12th Sep at 12.45.

Result?

• Everton

Votes: 205 55.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 55 14.9%
  • Chelsea all day

Votes: 34 9.2%
  • I'm only there to see us hurt them

Votes: 72 19.5%
  • I support Chelsea like

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
seems like we are liking the lunchtime kick-off .. loads of time to celebrate in style afterwards too.

Great atmosphere y'day, nice & loud .. even think I heard some noise from the Main Stand.

Getting on the Soccerbus was disappointed to learn we had 3 wingers on the bench when all the World knew that Ivanovic is currently having a 'mare .. and defensively they are exposed to pace.

Jags & McCarthy found form at the right time and had great games. We need that to continue.
Felt sorry for Mo .. the frequency of his injuries is starting to worry.
Stones was masterful and deserves every accolade he gets.
Galloway is developing nicely and had a good game .. don't remember anything getting past him and he got forward to good effect.
Barry ... steady eddie, just what was needed.
Ross disappointed for the first hour then woke up and finished the game in great style.
Naismith ... Happy Birthday mate, please oh please turn up in that mood & form week-in, week-out. Smashing bloke, sorry for all the criticism I've levelled at you.

Thought we'd win but not so convincingly. Though we were great and everything seemed to go as well as we could hope .. think we need to gain a little perspective .. Chelsea were 'hite.

My ratings:

Howard - 6 - Couldn't do anything for the goal. For all Chelsea's possession they didn't really test him, but he commanded his box well.
Coleman - 7 - Brilliant again. Worried about his injury, hopefully it's not serious, as he's had a superb start to the season.
Stones - 9 - Immaculate performance from the lad. Just what the doctor ordered.
Jagielka - 8 - Lead the line really well. Showed Stones' why it was right to stay and learn from him!
Galloway - 7 - Really impressive, both going forward and defending.
McCarthy - 7 - Probably his best performance this season.
Barry - 8 - Played excellently yesterday. Intercepted and cut out everything. The team's designated driver! (Nicked from twitter - thought it was true!)
Besic - N/A - Looked sharp in the first five. Unfortunate.
Barkley - 7 - Quiet first half but much improved in the second. Some lovely play on the counter attack and the assist of the third was sheer class.
Koné - 6 - Pressed well and was unlucky not to score early on. Good display overall, tired quickly in the second half though.
Lukaku - 6 - Played well in a hold-up role and had a few chances. Not his most explosive performance but solid.

Subs:
Naismith - 9 - Super Nessi, three superb goals. Well done, lad.
Lennon - 6 - Some nice touches and link-up play. Knows the team inside-out and it showed.
Funes-Mori - 5 - Only had ten minutes but looked solid. Will probably see him start at Reading.

Martinez - 8 - Got his tactics exactly right. Set up the team to be aggressive but remained solid, and made good changes when required.

Pre-match I was concerned about the selection, as I was against Southampton, but once again Martinez got it right so all credit to him.

Genuinely, I don't think we played that much better than we did against City, which is not taking away from the performance yesterday at all.

Personally I think we played well in both games, the difference being confident yesterday, which just shows how far City are ahead of Chelsea.

There is obviously belief in the squad and that showed through the performances of every single individual yesterday.

Superb performance and really took the game to Chelsea from the off. Some excellent displays all around. The passing and drive forward were great to watch at times and i thought we did a fantastic job of balancing the counter attacking football and soaking up their possession. Tactically we were spot on yesterday and in truth, we could of scored 5 or 6.

Jagielka and Stones were simply immense together. Its of my opinion that we have the best centre back partnership in the league. They understand each others games and compliment each other. Stones has it all in his locker as a defender and is the best in the country for me. He takes the spotlight away from Jagielka slightly but without doubt, we have the best centre back partnership in the league. Superb together. The Champions of England came to Goodison and apart from a 1 in a 100 belter from Matic, Howard didn't have anything to do, such was how good our defending was.

Howard 7
Coleman 7
Jagielka 8
Stones 9
Galloway 7
McCarthy 7
Barry 8
Naismith 10
Barkley 7
Lukaku 8
Kone 6

My ratings:

Howard - 6 - Couldn't do anything for the goal. For all Chelsea's possession they didn't really test him, but he commanded his box well.
Coleman - 7 - Brilliant again. Worried about his injury, hopefully it's not serious, as he's had a superb start to the season.
Stones - 9 - Immaculate performance from the lad. Just what the doctor ordered.
Jagielka - 8 - Lead the line really well. Showed Stones' why it was right to stay and learn from him!
Galloway - 7 - Really impressive, both going forward and defending.
McCarthy - 7 - Probably his best performance this season.
Barry - 8 - Played excellently yesterday. Intercepted and cut out everything. The team's designated driver! (Nicked from twitter - thought it was true!)
Besic - N/A - Looked sharp in the first five. Unfortunate.
Barkley - 7 - Quiet first half but much improved in the second. Some lovely play on the counter attack and the assist of the third was sheer class.
Koné - 6 - Pressed well and was unlucky not to score early on. Good display overall, tired quickly in the second half though.
Lukaku - 6 - Played well in a hold-up role and had a few chances. Not his most explosive performance but solid.

Subs:
Naismith - 9 - Super Nessi, three superb goals. Well done, lad.
Lennon - 6 - Some nice touches and link-up play. Knows the team inside-out and it showed.
Funes-Mori - 5 - Only had ten minutes but looked solid. Will probably see him start at Reading.

Martinez - 8 - Got his tactics exactly right. Set up the team to be aggressive but remained solid, and made good changes when required.
Howard could have done a hell of a lot better for the goal and centre halfs don't lead the line

Other than that I'd agree

image.webp

Really? No keeper in the world was getting to that. Unless you're suggesting his positioning was wrong?
He was absolutely nowhere near it and from 30 yards I think he could do better

His positioning has to be questioned for me even though it was a cracker

He was absolutely nowhere near it and from 30 yards I think he could do better

His positioning has to be questioned for me even though it was a cracker

Well, I can't really argue there, as I literally know next to nothing about Goalkeeping, so I have no idea if his positioning was suspect. It's not something I've heard anybody (on here and in the media) pull him up on though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back