Everton v Leicester City. 22nd Feb at 14.05.

Where is Leicester

• East of Birmingham

Votes: 34 16.8%
  • Just above and wide of Anglia

Votes: 20 9.9%
  • Somewhere by London

Votes: 14 6.9%
  • Everton win

Votes: 134 66.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a lot of players with low energy from early on.

We played in the EL a few days before away from home on a terrible pitch for conserving energy.

The 'good' news is we wont have that to worry about next season so I expect the tempo to be much higher each week.
Baines was not playing on thursday

Think you only need to look at stones reaction to there goals. Howard makes Paul Gerrard look like a world beater.

I was that peed off today even my son asked "are you OK Dad?".

We would have lost to city and the RS with this clown in goal to add to another 10 points he has cost us this season.

You may not have done, but I do think that some on here have already forgotten what an immense goalkeeper Howard has been over his career at Everton, very much in the Everton tradition of great goalkeepers. I can't argue that he hasn't had a very good season this time around, and I won't deny that this just wasn't a good game for him and he was partly to blame for two lost points. Objectively though, imo, the goals conceded were also due to unforced errors in midfield as well as defensive mistakes. It is true that Robles improved over the last few games, but wasn't Roberto thinking of selling him only two or three month ago? That suggests to me that he hasn't impressed much on the training field in addition to his matchday performances. To me, Robles grew sufficiently in stature, particularly in the replay against West Ham, to be given more time to prove himself. Perhaps this is now the time; however, overall he has not convinced me enough and i don't think a run of three clean sheets is anywhere near enough to start thinking he is superior to Howard.[/
Fair point. Personally I wouldn't place Howard amongst the goalkeeping 'greats' at everton. He has been dependable and solid and can generally be relied upon in his consistency of his performances. I too have my doubts over Robles certainly as long term number 1. However like I said before to drop him after 3 clean sheets in a row and a mom performance against west ham was very harsh. Unfortunately I think we can add this to a number of baffling decisions Martinez has made this season.

Baines just doesn't look fit to me and hasn't for most of the season,Lennon did quite well I thought,Atsu/Gibson shook things up when they came on everyone else barring Howard were all a bit "meh"

I was one of those who did not budge when we equalized. I am most certainly not jumping for joy to pull level with the team at the bottom of the Premiership at home.(Its hard enough for me to stand up to let people past these days!).
Martinez is the manager. He shoulders responsibility for this. He has to grow a pair and make those decisions. They are not difficult decisions but uncomfortable ones. He has to drop Howard and tell him why and its now time to drop Baines and give Garbutt his opportunity. Oh yes, and tell all the players that every team is interested in the available points so no one is going to roll over for us. Expect to be challenged, expect to be closed down. Get them into training and practice passing to someone in a blue shirt and stop gifting the ball to the opposition with half hearted fancy dan flick passes.

Our defenders after that second goal simply walked away from Howard, all heads bowed. Like a death march.

Also Howard called one of the lads over to check the bottom of his boots after the first went in...

Same thing was said when we had City/Palace/Liverpool the other week

Didn't turn out how people thought it would did it?

If you want to see relegation form go and look at the bottom 4 and there recent results
What, like Burnley coming from behind to get draws at the grounds of the top two clubs in the league...

Many different issues to take from this game.

Howard - his best asset he had is his instinctive shot stopping, but since the world cup that's just disappeared and quite simply is finished. Most keepers get by with tactical positioning with age but he never had that.

Baines - again maybe it's post world cup but he has been going through the motions. Oviedo and garbutt have more intensity and should start.

Midfield - against young boys there was running into spaces and played with speed. In the league we're static, and for once we can't blame this on Barry. Off the ball we run like headless chickens, on the ball everyone waits for something spectacular and don't take risks.

Wingers - need an actual top 4 quality winger.

Lukaku and barkley - again, very young and very gifted, but need to be cleverer and focus more. Both are at their best when playing instinctively but should do much better when given time to think. That's why I think they play best on the counter, but poorly when playing against a wall.

For me, writing things down helps the pain

I agree with most of your points, but you are being very harsh against Baines imo - an immense player who just happens to be coming back from injury. As for Barkley, the jury is very much out imo, i have real doubts he will be the quality player we hoped for, but he is still young so i guess it needs a year or two more for us to see how he grows.

I was one of those who did not budge when we equalized. I am most certainly not jumping for joy to pull level with the team at the bottom of the Premiership at home.(Its hard enough for me to stand up to let people past these days!).
Martinez is the manager. He shoulders responsibility for this. He has to grow a pair and make those decisions. They are not difficult decisions but uncomfortable ones. He has to drop Howard and tell him why and its now time to drop Baines and give Garbutt his opportunity. Oh yes, and tell all the players that every team is interested in the available points so no one is going to roll over for us. Expect to be challenged, expect to be closed down. Get them into training and practice passing to someone in a blue shirt and stop gifting the ball to the opposition with half hearted fancy dan flick passes.

Boss fan you mate

I think the players have given up on the Premier League. They know that Europe is the only thing they sti have left fighting for, and honestly don't give a crap about the league. Next week we need to play our all vs ARS and grind out a point- because we've won against YB already.
I presume you mean they've given up on staying in the Premier League.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back