Everton v Leicester City. 22nd Feb at 14.05.

Where is Leicester

• East of Birmingham

Votes: 34 16.8%
  • Just above and wide of Anglia

Votes: 20 9.9%
  • Somewhere by London

Votes: 14 6.9%
  • Everton win

Votes: 134 66.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with most of your points, but you are being very harsh against Baines imo - an immense player who just happens to be coming back from injury. As for Barkley, the jury is very much out imo, i have real doubts he will be the quality player we hoped for, but he is still young so i guess it needs a year or two more for us to see how he grows.
Baines has spent his whole time at Everton with a partner alongside him (usually Pienaar). He gets the ball now and there's invariably not a blue shirt within 20 yards of him. From what was unanimously agreed over most of the last decade to be the best and most dangerous left flank partnership in the PL we have gone to not having one at all.

Anyone calling for a total novice with less than 4 hours top level football under his belt to take Baines's place wants to set up an appointment with their nearest mental clinic.

I saw a lot of players with low energy from early on.

We played in the EL a few days before away from home on a terrible pitch for conserving energy.

The 'good' news is we wont have that to worry about next season so I expect the tempo to be much higher each week.

How do you explain the pap served up since Christmas then, when there was no Europe?

I agree with most of your points, but you are being very harsh against Baines imo - an immense player who just happens to be coming back from injury. As for Barkley, the jury is very much out imo, i have real doubts he will be the quality player we hoped for, but he is still young so i guess it needs a year or two more for us to see how he grows.
Long term baines should still be number one, but since November he hasn't looked anywhere near half as good as he can be. Oviedo is fit and does everything baines has done this season but quicker so should start more important games till baines is fully fit both mentally and physically.

Baines just doesn't look fit to me and hasn't for most of the season,Lennon did quite well I thought,Atsu/Gibson shook things up when they came on everyone else barring Howard were all a bit "meh"

....I suspect much of Baines' effectiveness is being nullified by the lack of a like minded player ahead of him. He revels with a Pienaar type in front. I think it might have been Wolfsburg at home where Osman played wide left and Baines was tremendous. He's outstanding going forward, it's a real strength we are missing out on.

Long term baines should still be number one, but since November he hasn't looked anywhere near half as good as he can be. Oviedo is fit and does everything baines has done this season but quicker so should start more important games till baines is fully fit both mentally and physically.
Other than his boss spell early on this season, baines has been hovering around average by his standards for going on 2 seasons now. Atm id have a fit oviedo ahead of him

....I suspect much of Baines' effectiveness is being nullified by the lack of a like minded player ahead of him. He revels with a Pienaar type in front. I think it might have been Wolfsburg at home where Osman played wide left and Baines was tremendous. He's outstanding going forward, it's a real strength we are missing out on.
Yep good point,he's more aware of his defensive duties without the safety valve of Pienaar,as you say Pienaar would always stay when Baines was bombing forward,that said I still think he's carrying a knock!!

Martinez needs to be sacked sooner rather than later, the truth is we're going to get relegated or near the bottom of the table if he doesn't go. He has no passion and seems to think we're still in pre season, we have only won 3 games at home all season which is pathetic. We haven't beaten any of the top teams all season and rarely kept and clean sheet in games. He continues to select underperforming players like Howard, Lukaku and McGeady who put in zero effort most of the time. Look at fact Tim Howard had a huge smirk on his face when he booted by ball out for a throw in at 0-0 totally unforgivable. We need a manager like Slaven Billic who actually has some passion for the game and doesn't accept any nonsense from his players. Those who continue to support him will find themselves supporting a championship club sooner or later.

It was the performance, especially in the 1st half, more than the result that was most worrying.

Inviting the team which is adrift at the bottom of the league to come on to you like that was a suicidal tactic which backfired spectacularly, and nearly produced an even worse result.

It was the performance, especially in the 1st half, more than the result that was most worrying.

Inviting the team which is adrift at the bottom of the league to come on to you like that was a suicidal tactic which backfired spectacularly, and nearly produced an even worse result.
In a nutshell.
We never learn same old same old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back