Match Thread Everton v Swansea. 24th Jan at 1330.

What do you identify the Wirral as?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not true.

You're lashing out and not giving this much thought.

It's typical knee jerk.

I'm not knee jerking. I really really wanted it to work out and defended him to mates for months while they ridiculed him. There's no justfication for such a poor season. He has no right to still be in a job. He's not been short changed. He's got twice as long as he would have done at any of the comparable level clubs.

I think he is believing the hype that's been put on him... and that is responsible for his lapses in concentration.With his agent in his ear and no Naismith there now (who took him under his wing) I think he wants out.......... and I for one would snap anyones hand off for £50 million.Whoever he goes to are hardly going to be our rivals for the next couple of seasons.Our rivals our going to be Palace,Watford and Stoke.

I don't agree with wanting to sell our best players. Especially in the middle of the season. Lukaku was poor today, as was Barkley. The only players that stood out were Deulofeu and Pienaar.

I can't see us sacking Martinez, things were worse last season and he is still here. He needs to see sense and start making changes to the team. Howard has to go, drop him for a couple of weeks to see if it has any effect on our defending. We can't keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect a different result. We need some changes.

Because he quite rightly had credit in the bank and the Europa League extra fixtures, some away trips were long old slogs.

This season, he's had lower league / rubbish like Norwich in the cups right up until the semi final. We play vs City with Robles and a more balanced side and put in the most complete performance of the season - particularly when, surprise, he takes Cleverley off in the second half.

Today, it's 'let's try and shoehorn Cleverley back into the side', Oviedo at right back, Howard keeping his place and 2 shots on target vs Swansea.

I agree with Dave, it genuinely isn't difficult to fix, which is why the stubbornness to do so is so mystifying.

Truth is that if we'd held on and beaten Chelsea last week, we'd have stuffed Swansea today.

And, why does Del run out of puff around 70th minute?

He's punching above his weight is Bobby. I do like him, think he'll be a really top manger in 10 years but at the moment he needs to rip this defensive unit to pieces. So many goals this season from lacks of concentration. Martinez doesn't strike as a deciplined type of coach but the defensive side of our team is absolutely worthless at the moment.

Truth is that if we'd held on and beaten Chelsea last week, we'd have stuffed Swansea today.

And, why does Del run out of puff around 70th minute?

He just hasn't got that natural stamina mate - not something you can always work on, as you can tell he is remarkably fitter than he was in his first spell here.

He just hasn't got that natural stamina mate - not something you can always work on, as you can tell he is remarkably fitter than he was in his first spell here.

Odd one though ...... he should be in his prime. Perhaps he will always be an impact player as it was painful to see both Coleman & Cleverly ahead of him from 80th minute on

Odd one though ...... he should be in his prime. Perhaps he will always be an impact player as it was painful to see both Coleman & Cleverly ahead of him from 80th minute on

Errr... at 21 he's far from his prime. Athletes usually enter their prime around 26/27 - naturally in terms of fitness and strength etc.

Ok. No more excuses now. You can't keep making excuses this far in. We are VERY mediocre. Forget about our team being so talented and our position not doing us justice, we are VERY mediocre. That was outrageously unacceptable, and inexcusable. Some real talent on the pitch, but not gelling as a TEAM. Obviously confidence is a factor, and the run of poor results is a big contributor to it, but it goes beyond this. And yes, for all i love Roberto, and was defending him as recently as last week, he has to take some flak for this; but ultimately a lot of the defensive mistakes are down to poor decision making ON THE PITCH. My MOTM is, unpredictably, Deulofeu: apart from Barry nobody else was remotely worthy of it. Here are a few other observations on the basis of the last 90 minutes:

1. Fortress Goodison has become a free-for-all bazaar.
2. Forget about top 4 or even top 6 now, top half needs to be our ambition.
3. As a result of point 2, we're not going to be able to hang on the the squad we have in the summer. Let's be realistic about his, the chance has been blown. The best we can hope for now is to survive this transfer window.
4. We might have a lot of individual talent but are not gelling as a team, therefore in effect the net result is a mediocre team.
5. Constantly, there is no one on the far post for corners. I can't believe that lesson hasn't been learned.
6. Stones has become a bit of a prima donna and needs to get back to basics.
7. Romelu needs to take his hands from in front of his eyes and concentrate on being a bit sharper next time around.
8. Selling Naismith was a massive error imo, a real stab in the back for someone who always gave 100%, and can only be condoned if we are buying a top class striker to replace him. Kone is only good enough off the bench, he's had more than enough chances to convince me otherwise.
9. The Goodison crowd have become the twelfth man - for the opposition. Barkley and Howard in particular are suffering. You don't stab your own players in the back during a game. Neither of these players are as bad as some are making out on here, but as someone else suggested Roberto needs to take Tim out of the firing line and let Joel have the shirt for a while.
10. The referee has become the thirteenth man - but we're not doing enough to override this and make our own luck.
11. We badly need a buyer and and a serious injection of money - so have you managed to seal a deal yet, Bill, or will you still be trying to sell us the same old myth next season?

Mostly good and agree, the 'space' Martinez has been given to grow our ' special ', ' talented' ' young squad' is basically just allowing a poor tactician and poor defensive coach ( both Martinez ) to erode the confidence of young players...

Why the buyer comment though? Martinez had the dough to buy Dell, Barry, RL. All great signings...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back