Match Thread Everton v Swansea. 24th Jan at 1330.

What do you identify the Wirral as?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the crowd had it bang on today. Started dishing it out when they continued to play around dangerously at the back.They also dished it out when no midfield players where showing For the ball causing us to go sideways all the time. On the occasions we played good attacking football they cheered
there heads off even if it broke down they still applauded the idea.

A few thoughts on Tim Howard. I guess we're all agreed that he's past his best. But, perhaps only marginally. The rest, i think is a confidence factor. It's pretty obvious that the guy is a bit highly strung. In the past this has probably worked in his favour - spurring him on to new heights. But now, the crowd are on his back (and the same with Ross Barkley). Imo, it's outrageous that you should show disrespect to your own players inside the arena (leave it for forums like this which, if the players have any sense, they won't read). The opposition players and supporters must love it: instead of our fans being the twelfth man we are at time the twelfth man for the opposition. I would suggest that this has been a key factor in Howard's deteriorating performance. It must hurt like hell to have so much passion, and feel so much animosity. (Maybe the fans should spend some of their energy working out a few decent football chants instead. For the 'school of science' the "Everton, Everton, Everton. Everton, Everton, Everton. Everton, Everton, Everton. Everton, Ever-ton" one is pretty moronic). Yes, Roberto is at fault up to a point, for not, as somebody else suggested, taking Tim out of the firing line for a while. But i think that a lot of the blame being directed at Howard should be redirected to: 1) the crowd; and 2) to the outfield players, who are losing possession of the ball in defence and midfield by playing passes that simply aren't on. That's where a lot of the goals we are shipping are originating from; Howard is simply at the end of the firing line and so gets all the flak. Notwithstanding all the above, Tim should be rested for a few games now. Then we will actually see just how much better Robles is, if at all, and how much of the fault lies with the players in front of him, and the debate can be put to rest.

Maybe because he does a lot more work than most of the other midfielders.

Sorry mate but that's just plain rubbish. He tracked back once to try and retrieve a ball he'd lost to Routledge, couldn't keep pace with him, was out-strengthed and was then visibly on his arse right in front of us in the Paddock. Looked like he'd had 40 Woodbines. Brilliant delivery at times but to say he out works the likes of Barry, Cleverly, Besic and Barkley is just Hogg-wash.

Like Leicester

Blackpool sat in the top 4 for a good period and ended up relegated. I'm not suggesting Leicester will be that bad, but there's neraly half a season to go and it's debatable whether they can continue playing as well as they've done this far. Personally, I hope they do stay top 4.

A few thoughts on Tim Howard. I guess we're all agreed that he's past his best. But, perhaps only marginally. The rest, i think is a confidence factor. It's pretty obvious that the guy is a bit highly strung. In the past this has probably worked in his favour - spurring him on to new heights. But now, the crowd are on his back (and the same with Ross Barkley). Imo, it's outrageous that you should show disrespect to your own players inside the arena (leave it for forums like this which, if the players have any sense, they won't read). The opposition players and supporters must love it: instead of our fans being the twelfth man we are at time the twelfth man for the opposition. I would suggest that this has been a key factor in Howard's deteriorating performance. It must hurt like hell to have so much passion, and feel so much animosity. (Maybe the fans should spend some of their energy working out a few decent football chants instead. For the 'school of science' the "Everton, Everton, Everton. Everton, Everton, Everton. Everton, Everton, Everton. Everton, Ever-ton" one is pretty moronic). Yes, Roberto is at fault up to a point, for not, as somebody else suggested, taking Tim out of the firing line for a while. But i think that a lot of the blame being directed at Howard should be redirected to: 1) the crowd; and 2) to the outfield players, who are losing possession of the ball in defence and midfield by playing passes that simply aren't on. That's where a lot of the goals we are shipping are originating from; Howard is simply at the end of the firing line and so gets all the flak. Notwithstanding all the above, Tim should be rested for a few games now. Then we will actually see just how much better Robles is, if at all, and how much of the fault lies with the players in front of him, and the debate can be put to rest.

The Key Factor in Howards deteriorating performance?

SIMPLY THE END OF THE FIRING LINE?

Someone take this joker outside before he injures himself.

martymcfly-1.gif

The Key Factor in Howards deteriorating performance?

SIMPLY THE END OF THE FIRING LINE?

Someone take this joker outside before he injures himself.

If you want to make a point about my post, why not quote me accurately. I said A key factor, not THE key factor. And being at the end of the firing line hardly exonerates the outfield players of any blame so i don't really accept your criticisms.

If you want to make a point about my post, why not quote me accurately. I said A key factor, not THE key factor. And being at the end of the firing line hardly exonerates the outfield players of any blame so i don't really accept your criticisms.

Who said what now?

Just making sure - you think Howard is Ace, just out of form because of the Crowd getting on his back.

That what you saying up there?

Well, he's right. When your two in-form players go off in the first half hour, it's bound to have an effect. I really wish he'd address the goalkeeping issue though. Howard clearly doesn't have his head on straight; he'd benefit from a little rest I think.

In general I don't disagree with what he has said; I'm just tired of excuses.
Maybe it didn't come across in my original post but that's what I was getting at. These two 'influential' players who have hardly had a look in this season are contributing to our loss today. Don't blame poor defending or goalkeeping which was the reason for our loss instead look to other 'excuses' for our loss and neglect the main issues behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back