Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Match Thread Everton v Watford. 8th Aug at 15.00.

Do you reckon we will win?

• Yes

Votes: 299 60.5%
  • No

Votes: 90 18.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 105 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suggest you take a look at the youTube video of our cup game against West Ham. There was loads of saves in that game that Howard wouldn't have made but today I don't blame Howard. I'm just saying he doesn't earn us points like the top keepers do and often loses us them.

Absolutely agree.

While Howard might not have been at fault today for the two goals, a better keeper could have saved them.

Now I'm remembering when we almost signed Butland... :(

I don't wish to detract from young Galloway's assured defensive outing - he put in a few well-timed tackles and was otherwise positionally/awareness-wise very good, even saving our skin on a few occasions... but I think the desire to make himself available further forward - and not in the way Coleman does, with his engine for beating people on the overlap - was kind of leaving us thin at the back...

...it was commendable that he would be brave enough to try and instigate a move like that in the first place, especially in the absence of Baines. But I think it just added to the 'static passing' that happened in the first half, as it added to a concentration of bodies around the box which never really pulled Watford apart or added 'real' width to our play. But, as above, he looked good and it wasn't his fault at all that we were toothless in attack, just a minor point that's more tactics than his performance.

His post-match report is pretty scathing (for Martinez). Accused team of being in pre-season mode for the first half and was disappointed not to get the win.

I think he's aware of his situation and I wouldn't be surprised if we see a change of tactics (more counter attacking) for Soton
It's going to be really hard for him. He's going to have to start being more vocal with them before games and punish those who don't put in a shift and when he does that there's no way of knowing how that will effect the dressing room.

It's obvious that the team have no real desire to motivate themselves. We need a leader on the pitch. If it was me I think I would make Coleman captain.

At least he's not fannying about with false praise.

Unless we sign some decent players with creativity and ability to score in the next week or so this is yet another season written off.

But really this group of players are so much better than the manager is able to extract from them.

On today's display the manager has learnt absolutely nothing from last season which is very , very worrying.

I suggest you take a look at the youTube video of our cup game against West Ham. There was loads of saves in that game that Howard wouldn't have made but today I don't blame Howard. I'm just saying he doesn't earn us points like the top keepers do and often loses us them.

One game does not a world beater make. Robles had his moments last year where he made mistakes.

Other areas of the field need more attention right now. Not worried about Howard as much as I am about attacking options and Stones having his head turned.

Not read any of this thread since the game finished, just got home from the match, and I have to say that was utter drivel, the first half was as bad as anything I watched last season, thought Barry done ok and stones except for the goal showed why Chelsea are after him, the rest I'm sorry where total rubbish, I thought for a minute that we had signed up for the Barclays bank walking football for the over 50's. With the exception of Stones I'd except any good offer for the rest. We where devoid of energy, movement, pace and anything you associate with a good football team, the second half was slightly better but lets face it, it couldn't be worst than the first. Sorry lads rant over,

Said earlier do not under estimate Watford. But in realty this game should have been won having said that we are not helped with our injury problems.

What do you want them to do when we're playing in 1st gear. It's a sign to the players to snap out of it. They didn't and Watford scored.

Why? As someone said we had 8 players back yet when the ball came to one of theirs there wasn't a man within 5 yard of him with all our players just walking around. There's too many of our players that don't see or respond to danger quick enough.

I'm not a fan of booing either but it's the effort the fans are booing. It should be Martinez's job to motivate them but frankly he doesn't seem up it.

Fair enough mate, just don't agree with booing ten minutes into the first game of the season.

Not read any of this thread since the game finished, just got home from the match, and I have to say that was utter drivel, the first half was as bad as anything I watched last season, thought Barry done ok and stones except for the goal showed why Chelsea are after him, the rest I'm sorry where total rubbish, I thought for a minute that we had signed up for the Barclays bank walking football for the over 50's. With the exception of Stones I'd except any good offer for the rest. We where devoid of energy, movement, pace and anything you associate with a good football team, the second half was slightly better but lets face it, it couldn't be worst than the first. Sorry lads rant over,

Oh dear, we were hoping for so much.

It's going to be really hard for him. He's going to have to start being more vocal with them before games and punish those who don't put in a shift and when he does that there's no way of knowing how that will effect the dressing room.

It's obvious that the team have no real desire to motivate themselves. We need a leader on the pitch. If it was me I think I would make Coleman captain.

At least he's not fannying about with false praise.

No he is not but the selection and subs was his choice along with the tactics, see the post from nobby nobs.

One game does not a world beater make. Robles had his moments last year where he made mistakes.

Other areas of the field need more attention right now. Not worried about Howard as much as I am about attacking options and Stones having his head turned.
He actually didn't make any mistakes that lead to a goal unless you count the Krasnodar game however the first thing I said was Robles has his issues but....

I know he has a mistake in him. So does Howard. The difference is Robles also has the odd world class save in him too.

Well I agree it's not the thing I'm most worried about either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back