Everton vs Man City - 10th Jan, 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Much more like it. Today we finally resembled everton of last season. High tempo, pressing off the ball, moving the ball forward quickly and making it uncomfortable for our opponents.

We had to ride a couple of storms, which is to be expected, but we looked so much calmer in defence, which is what the presence of john stones brings. After a couple of nervy touches in the first half, Jagielka settled down and did what he is best at: defending.

Coleman got forward more than he has in recent games and was unfortunate not to score when he hit the bar. Baines didn't get forward much but he defended very well. Besic and barry again had some nervy touches but I thought they grew into the game. Maybe barry has been carrying a knock? He seems to be finding some form.

Barkley was quiet. City did a job on him and it worked, he didn't have much space to work in. McGeady put a shift in but he's so inconsistent and frustrating, fair play though he did a job defensively. Naismith did what he does best, harass, win headers, keep the ball moving. Lukaku was great again and brought some good saves from hart.

Overall a good win and performace. Robles didn't have much to do which shows how well the players in front of him played. Onwards and upwards blues!
Agree with most of this but not the emboldened bit. He was just way off the pace today and has been for weeks. 20 year olds will be up and down. At the minute he looks lost and short on confidence. Doesn't help playing him on the wing but City didn't do anything special against him today.

A few negative mentions about Besic...he's been far and away better than Barry this season from what I've seen. Barry's been nowhere near the player that he was last season, and I know that can be said about a lot of the team, but for me, him more so than the rest.

Barry ran himself into the ground today, besic too.

Spot on about Besic, so basic passes. Frustrated Barkley with his no-vision mindset. I remember Besic had more attacking minded passes in his early games?
I thought it was the other way round. Besic's job is to win it and give it to Barkley and then Barkley just gives it back to him and then Besic gives it back to Barkley who gives it back.

Barkley doesn't run around and win the ball so when he's given the ball it's his responsibility to have a picture in his head of what to do from an attacking point of view not just keep possession.

Look at the vids of Besic in the world cup - most of his passes are forwards. The thing is though to do that you need someone in front of you.....

That's as passionate and loud Goodison Park has been in a long, long time. Felt great to get so much frustration out and I don't mind telling you that I went Fing mental when we scored.

We were miles better today, still not perfect but we definitely looked almost back to our old selves. Lukaku was bloody immense, Naismith and Stones were fantastic, Besic is continuing to grow as a player and Joel looks as if he's starting to settle. There's still a few players who looked wobbly, Jagielka plays like the ball is a bomb, Barry still looks as if he can't keep up with the pace (though he did work very hard) and Barkley still seems unsure of himself sometimes.

Overall, I feel very positive today about what I saw for the first time in God knows how long, I think a corner has finally been turned. Onto West Ham on Tuesday night now, we can beat them if we play like we did this afternoon.

He didn't go "that" psycho, just punched the ground several times after that Silva challenge and shouted at his teammates's faces at the end to go forward. It was like a consolidated psycho action from him, like " FFS, I wanna win, come on and work your asses off for that".

Lovely! I'd love to see that on youtube or highlights.

We've got a mixture of Roy Keane and Gennaro Gattuso in the making here hopefully.

Why Everton? Why wait till European qualification through the league looks almost impossible to start playing like that.

100% pure Everton juice.

I still maintain Joe hart just dropped the ball with minimum pressure from Naismith - also I have seen pens given for the assault on Jags for a pen!

lol

Come on mate you can't be serious, he barely touched him. I'd have been screaming at the telly if that was given against us.

don't know if anyones put this view across yet but...

Bit disappointed we didn't grab all 3 today. Thought it was there for us.

Pleasing to see us recapture that battling spirit though, take that into the next two games and we've got a good chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back