Match Thread Everton vs Manchester City - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We didn't, thought they scored a very fortunate, very late goal, followed by another even later goal. We went toe to toe with them for 84 minutes unlike Liverpool fc....
And p.s they are the best team around this season, get over it, we are at the beginning of Carlo's journey.
Defending with all 10 outfield players behind the ball is not, in no way shape or form, going toe to toe with them. See what I mean about accepting rubbish as standard. It was utter guff.

Defending with all 10 outfield players behind the ball is not, in no way shape or form, going toe to toe with them. See what I mean about accepting rubbish as standard. It was utter guff.

We had ten attempts on goal so it's you who are talking guff, how many teams have had that many attempts against City this season ? Don't forget we also had a depleted team, three of our main players out, they had a fully fit squad to choose from. Yes they pushed us right back late second half, but we understandably tired, they make 5 or 6 changes every match and it doesn't diminish their teams class in any way.

We had ten attempts on goal so it's you who are talking guff, how many teams have had that many attempts against City this season ? Don't forget we also had a depleted team, three of our main players out, they had a fully fit squad to choose from. Yes they pushed us right back late second half, but we understandably tired, they make 5 or 6 changes every match and it doesn't diminish their teams class in any way.
Their keeper never had to make a save haha , but i am talking guff. We rolled over beaten before it started, it's the same old same old, let's roll the excuses out time. No it's not good enough and they need calling out on it.

Last edited:
Agree with your comments on James. Just doesn't look like he wants to be here.
Could well move on in the summer, but given all the games he hasn't played I don't see him as a big miss.
He was quoted here recently denying stories that he would leave and that he liked being here, or words to that effect.

Their keeper never had to make a save haha , but i am talking guff. We rolled over beaten before it started, it's the same old same old, let's roll the excuses out time. No it's not good enough and they need calling out on it.
We didn’t roll over at all, Virginia only had one save to make of note for 84 minutes then was unfortunate that the next save he made came back of the bar perfectly for Gundogan

We didnt roll over, but we were poor with the ball all game and lacked belief in crucial moments at the end.

The first goal we failed to track laportes run and the second goal was a nonsense - a clear foul.

Good teams win games late on but bad teams lose games late. We haven't won many points late all season because the players lack the right mentality.

We didn’t roll over at all, Virginia only had one save to make of note for 84 minutes then was unfortunate that the next save he made came back of the bar perfectly for Gundogan
We had all ten outfield players behind the ball m ost of the second half, we were playing that sort of game; trying to keep them at bay with hopes of nicking one or forcing penalties, when they scored there was not a chance in hell we were getting a goal back, we hadn't attacked all game with any fluency, it's not good enough sorry, for me anyway.

They never broke sweat but people are happy cos it was city, sack that off, that is really bad how we have become accepting of this. I'm aware City have a much better team and squad than us but I will never accept defending for 90mins as good strategy.

We had all ten outfield players behind the ball m ost of the second half, we were playing that sort of game; trying to keep them at bay with hopes of nicking one or forcing penalties, when they scored there was not a chance in hell we were getting a goal back, we hadn't attacked all game with any fluency, it's not good enough sorry, for me anyway.
Literally a minute or two after the goal, DCL broke and had a shot that was blocked with the keeper stranded, if it falls to Richy and not one of theirs it’s 1-1 and who knows what would have happened

They never broke sweat but people are happy cos it was city, sack that off, that is really bad how we have become accepting of this. I'm aware City have a much better team and squad than us but I will never accept defending for 90mins as good strategy.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. Moral victories are not for me and we need to get real with this sort of mentality.

But we didnt lie down at all. We just weren't good enough going forward.

So you ignored the part of my post about our team missing 3 of our best players and them at full strength.
Match stats off Sky Sports, City had 14 attempts at goal, 5 on target, one of them was our keeper tipped onto the bar and they scored off the rebound. We had 9 shots and one save off their keeper. No I'm not happy to lose to anyone, but City this season are probably the best team in the world, no shame in losing to them in what was a hard fought game. We weren't good enough in the end, but before we say like you, it's the end of the world, let's give Carlo a couple of seasons to get HIS team on the pitch. I'm sure again you won't bother reading what I've posted, so just carry on with your angst, try and have a nice day.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. Moral victories are not for me and we need to get real with this sort of mentality.

But we didnt lie down at all. We just weren't good enough going forward.
Fair enough, I've just seen too much of that this season and it isn't for me. I'm saddened how accepting of crap we have become.

Literally a minute or two after the goal, DCL broke and had a shot that was blocked with the keeper stranded, if it falls to Richy and not one of theirs it’s 1-1 and who knows what would have happened

Again there is an argument that we weren't alive enough to the second ball. Gundogan was so far ahead of all of our players to the loose ball but we couldn't get to the loose ball at the other end. Its not all just about luck. There's a skill and an instinct to getting the loose balls in the box.

Again there is an argument that we weren't alive enough to the second ball. Gundogan was so far ahead of all of our players to the loose ball but we couldn't get to the loose ball at the other end. Its not all just about luck. There's a skill and an instinct to getting the loose balls in the box.
There is that but it’s not a new thing either, it’s happened many a time under other managers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back