Everton Youth Teams Thread

The Football Observatory listed the 100 most productive academies in Europe. Ajax were at the top, Everton did not make the list. From the PL, only the two Manchester clubs and Arsenal were included.

Everton obviously suffer from the fact the PL forces clubs to buy the best of the best to survive, but I still believe the way forward is through improved Academy production. It would be great to see more of these kids make it at Everton. Southampton have set a good benchmark in that regard, and I see no reason why Everton shouldn't strive for a similar ratio in their squad.

(Apologies if that's an Americanized view of things.)

The Football Observatory listed the 100 most productive academies in Europe. Ajax were at the top, Everton did not make the list. From the PL, only the two Manchester clubs and Arsenal were included.

Everton obviously suffer from the fact the PL forces clubs to buy the best of the best to survive, but I still believe the way forward is through improved Academy production. It would be great to see more of these kids make it at Everton. Southampton have set a good benchmark in that regard, and I see no reason why Everton shouldn't strive for a similar ratio in their squad.

Finch Farm is an amazing facility and to go there as a young footballer must be fantastic. Unfortunately these 'productive' academies can afford to spend money on talent well before the age of fifteen these days, and thus they have more naturally gifted footballers. We will fall behind in that respect like most other PL clubs, and like you say, nobody is desperately investing in that when there are clubs on the continent with established talent and we have more money than most of those clubs and it's too easy to pluck away decent players with less risk.

......be interesting to see what the measure is for 'most productive'. Can't think of many that City have brought through in recent times - Micah Richards. We produce a lot of players that have professional careers elsewhere.

......be interesting to see what the measure is for 'most productive'. Can't think of many that City have brought through in recent times - Micah Richards. We produce a lot of players that have professional careers elsewhere.

It's measured by how many academy players have gone on to play in the 31 top divisions in Europe. Admittedly, it's not the greatest standard.

That being said, how many Everton academy graduates are in the PL? Eight or so? Maybe this is wishful thinking, but it would be great to see that number improved.

Wasn't Micah stolen from Leeds? Sure he's a Yorkshire lad

Merseyside provides by far the most professional players when population is taken into account iirc

.....not sure if that's a fact but it wouldn't surprise me. From Premiership to bottom tier, littered with scousers. I have posted the amazing achievement at international level of 2 local schools a couple of miles apart producing the last 2 England captains who have both earned more that 100 caps. Amazing achievement that has slipped under the media radar.

We might not have as many as utd in the top flight but I'd guess we're one of the top producers of professional footballers In England. Nearly everyone that comes through our academy now will go on to make a living in the game if they want.

It's measured by how many academy players have gone on to play in the 31 top divisions in Europe. Admittedly, it's not the greatest standard.

That being said, how many Everton academy graduates are in the PL? Eight or so? Maybe this is wishful thinking, but it would be great to see that number improved.

As you say not the greatest measure as you are measuring just quantity.

We have age groups of about 20 up until 17 then perhaps only 8-12 will be taken on as pros whilst other clubs might have vastly more. I remember under Benetiz Liverpool had 70 players between 17-21 in their squad - none of whom have gone on to have a great career but most of whom are still playing.

As you say not the greatest measure as you are measuring just quantity.

We have age groups of about 20 up until 17 then perhaps only 8-12 will be taken on as pros whilst other clubs might have vastly more. I remember under Benetiz Liverpool had 70 players between 17-21 in their squad - none of whom have gone on to have a great career but most of whom are still playing.
Quality over quantity. I know that for a fact.

...just thinking of current Premiership players who have come through our academy;
Hibbert; Osman; Browning; Ledson (not sure if he's played a premiership game); Rooney; Rodwell; Dunne;

Presume there's more.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back