Everton Youth Teams Thread

We weren't just missing Ledson and Kenny but also Williams and Dowell by the looks of things.

Our youth system is light years ahead of theirs irrespective of what they say.

Regarding Walsh, I saw him play as an under 16 and I know this will be unpopular but he reminded me a bit of Osman type player. Seeing him as he gets a bit older you can see he is a clever player with good special awareness but also a real bit to him. He lacks Ledson physique but he is a super player none the less and potential to be just as good.

We are very lucky with our under 18's squad currently. Over the last couple of seasons we haven't done ourselves justice in the youth cup, but we won the league last year and will be close to winning it again this year. It's the most promising teams we've had since the late 90's when we brought through the likes of Jeffers, Cadamateri, Jevons, Ball, Osman, Hibbert, Dunne etc.

With Walsh, Ledson Kenny and Dowell we are very fortunate. Donuhue has a lot of potential too.

Shouldnt kenny and ledson still be playing u18 too? Think its the same case for us. All the loans are more likely u21 players

...absolutely, I think we usually have a few very young ones in each age group as well as a few of the u21s on loan. Paul Tait seems to be doing a useful job with that age group, not sure where Sheedy fits in these days.

We weren't just missing Ledson and Kenny but also Williams and Dowell by the looks of things.

Our youth system is light years ahead of theirs irrespective of what they say.

Regarding Walsh, I saw him play as an under 16 and I know this will be unpopular but he reminded me a bit of Osman type player. Seeing him as he gets a bit older you can see he is a clever player with good special awareness but also a real bit to him. He lacks Ledson physique but he is a super player none the less and potential to be just as good.

We are very lucky with our under 18's squad currently. Over the last couple of seasons we haven't done ourselves justice in the youth cup, but we won the league last year and will be close to winning it again this year. It's the most promising teams we've had since the late 90's when we brought through the likes of Jeffers, Cadamateri, Jevons, Ball, Osman, Hibbert, Dunne etc.

With Walsh, Ledson Kenny and Dowell we are very fortunate. Donuhue has a lot of potential too.

......Walsh does look like he's got a bit of fire in his belly, that late booking against Man Utd came a few days after being sent off (I think). Interesting you comparing him to Osman, be good if he has that talent. I posted that Little Eggs was in the Director's Lounge at Hull talking to Jelavic's agent. He said Walsh is the most talented youngster at the club, tough little lad who can play. Apparently RM loves him. I have to say, though, that the bloke is also Walsh's agent so might be biased.

I think sheedy and Tait have swapped roles for a few months. Apparently its a continental thing to give young players a different coach so they can learn more.

...absolutely, I think we usually have a few very young ones in each age group as well as a few of the u21s on loan. Paul Tait seems to be doing a useful job with that age group, not sure where Sheedy fits in these days.

I think sheedy and Tait have swapped roles for a few months. Apparently its a continental thing to give young players a different coach so they can learn more.

No ledson, kenny, Williams, dowell or Connolly yesterday. Connolly is another who gets in a lot of the England squads and seemingly has a fair bit of under 21 football under his belt for us.

There is Defo talent there - whether they can make the step to first team remains to be seen. Would like to see the likes of kenny and ledson get some good loan moves at the start of next season if it is not looking like they will be involved with our first team.

......Walsh does look like he's got a bit of fire in his belly, that late booking against Man Utd came a few days after being sent off (I think). Interesting you comparing him to Osman, be good if he has that talent. I posted that Little Eggs was in the Director's Lounge at Hull talking to Jelavic's agent. He said Walsh is the most talented youngster at the club, tough little lad who can play. Apparently RM loves him. I have to say, though, that the bloke is also Walsh's agent so might be biased.

I think he has more of a "snide" nature to him than Osman and will be a more deep lying player than Osman. I'd say more of a deep lying playmaker would suit him.

The most talented at the club? Well in honesty post Rooney in any of the youth teams there would probably only be Barkley that would have rivalled him on that. However the current 16-18 year old group are very talented. It's hard to say how he would compare to Ledson or Kenny (or Dowell) as they are all quite different players.
He lacks the physical attributes of Ledson but he is a cleverer player than him. I doubt he will ever have the engine of Ledson but he could be a very talented defensive midfield playmaker.

I am not surprised Martinez likes him. In every team he has had, he has looked to have similar types of player to how Walsh looks. Good in the tackle, but with an ability to pass the ball over short and long distances as well as a strong special awareness. He has all of those attributes. What he probably needs is a little bit of time to catch up some of the other players physically. He reminds me a bit of Barry Bannan when I've seen him and hopefully can continue to improve.

As I've said above we have a really talented group and a manager I hope he will try to bring them into the first team set up.

Bet Sheeds is made up,he er,doesn't have a high opinion of that lot should we say?lol
Kevin Sheedy continues to do a tremendous job.

Very talented & underrated youth coach. Big asset to the club.

Surprised nobody has approached us for his services to be a manager. Maybe he's content just coaching the youth.

Sheedy hasnt been U18 coach for about 6 months

edit: ah i see its already been mentioned

Walsh's sending off last week was a joke

I think he has more of a "snide" nature to him than Osman and will be a more deep lying player than Osman. I'd say more of a deep lying playmaker would suit him.

The most talented at the club? Well in honesty post Rooney in any of the youth teams there would probably only be Barkley that would have rivalled him on that. However the current 16-18 year old group are very talented. It's hard to say how he would compare to Ledson or Kenny (or Dowell) as they are all quite different players.
He lacks the physical attributes of Ledson but he is a cleverer player than him. I doubt he will ever have the engine of Ledson but he could be a very talented defensive midfield playmaker.

I am not surprised Martinez likes him. In every team he has had, he has looked to have similar types of player to how Walsh looks. Good in the tackle, but with an ability to pass the ball over short and long distances as well as a strong special awareness. He has all of those attributes. What he probably needs is a little bit of time to catch up some of the other players physically. He reminds me a bit of Barry Bannan when I've seen him and hopefully can continue to improve.

As I've said above we have a really talented group and a manager I hope he will try to bring them into the first team set up.

..Ledson was very good in that United game, he showed real tenacity and ability.

..Ledson was very good in that United game, he showed real tenacity and ability.

I didn't see him in that game. Whenever I have seen him he has fantastic mental attributes too, but I suppose Walsh perhaps reads the game slightly better.

Ledson is a long way ahead in physicality though. He is probably able to handle himself in men's football whereas I think for Walsh it will take him a bit longer. Ledson was also playing for the reserves at age 15.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back