Everton Youth Teams Thread

Well you’re really better off asking the managers now and at the time those questions , although in fairness while Simms was banging in all those goals he was 17 and nowhere near PL level. If he was fit and available now I’d certainly give him a go instead of Rondon.

Your point seems to be that it’s a waste of time because various managers don’t/ haven‘t given young players a chance, which is fair enough.
Yep . I did have enough interest to watch the U23s,a poor first half but not as dire as the 1st teams second half, and every so often the kids throw in a performance that makes supporting Everton a bit easier .

You had a dig at people who are critical are the same who don't watch the U23s.

My point is you don't need to watch to share a critical opinion.

This might shock one or two, but for me the whole point of the academy should be to develop players for the first team.

If that isn't happening, then people can be critical and ask why - whether they watch U23 games on a stream or not.

This might shock one or two, but for me the whole point of the academy should be to develop players for the first team.

I think it’s fine to be critical at those saying “the academy players are crap” having never seen them play football. May as well be commenting on the performance of players in the Indian league.

I think it’s fine to be critical at those saying “the academy players are crap” having never seen them play football. May as well be commenting on the performance of players in the Indian league.

May as well watch games in that league instead - they've got as much chance of playing for Everton.

Really?

Not at all surprised, me.

I mean, the club give him a 12-month contract a few years back.

Jobs for the boys, a mate of a mate culture looks rife throughout the club.

Well you’re really better off asking the managers now and at the time those questions , although in fairness while Simms was banging in all those goals he was 17 and nowhere near PL level. If he was fit and available now I’d certainly give him a go instead of Rondon.

Your point seems to be that it’s a waste of time because various managers don’t/ haven‘t given young players a chance, which is fair enough.
Yep . I did have enough interest to watch the U23s,a poor first half but not as dire as the 1st teams second half, and every so often the kids throw in a performance that makes supporting Everton a bit easier .

It certainly does look like a "jobs for the boys" mentality in a multi billion pound industry, within a company valued in the hundreds of millions.

If im not wrong, Unsworth became assistant manager of the u21s in 2013 and manager in 2014.

Aside from players recruited in ad u23 level like DCL and Holgate, have we actually had any players come through the ranks to become 1st team starters or is the highest echelon of achievement one Tom Davies?

2002: Rooney, Osman
2008: Rodwell
2011: Barkley
2015: Davies
2019: Gordon

Those 6 players all local boys of course (Osman from Wigan?), i hope ive forgotten one or two as thats disappointing from 2014 to now.

Not exactly a conveyor belt of talent but we'll have to see how Onyango, Dobbin and the like do over the next year or two...

Strange theres no players from outside the area who have been recruited from an early age?

It certainly does look like a "jobs for the boys" mentality in a multi billion pound industry, within a company valued in the hundreds of millions.

If im not wrong, Unsworth became assistant manager of the u21s in 2013 and manager in 2014.

Aside from players recruited in ad u23 level like DCL and Holgate, have we actually had any players come through the ranks to become 1st team starters or is the highest echelon of achievement one Tom Davies?

Those 6 players all local boys of course (Osman from Wigan?), i hope ive forgotten one or two as thats disappointing from 2014 to now.

Not exactly a conveyor belt of talent but we'll have to see how Onyango, Dobbin and the like do over the next year or two...

Strange theres no players from outside the area who have been recruited from an early age?
Ideally you'd have a mixture of people promoted from within and recruited from outside (talking about coaching staff here). All business promote from within as it brings certain advantages, as does recruiting from outside.

If that isn't happening, then people can be critical and ask why whether they watch U23 games on a stream or not.

tell that to moshiri who only wants to appoint managers with no history of developing young players

well onyango and dobbin are from outside the area for starters

I have always followed youth teams, nowhere near as closely as a lot in this thread who are very knowledgeable about the players. It has always been a very small percentage that can get into the first team, you probably miss the odd one through not being brave enough to play them but in the end, if they are good enough chances will come.

We are just in a very hard area competing with much better academies for players, we no longer seem to be getting cream of the crop from the local area and beyond. The academy's main focus should be coaching players to try to make the step up, winning titles at that level is good for confidence but we don't see any return on it.

The academy level has gone same way as first team level, same clubs with money getting the best talent.

I think you'd have to add Anichebe to that list and there's arguments for both Vaughan and Kenny.

Kenny hasnt 'made it' with us, Anichebe fair enough but i thought he was awful...

Vaughan a good shout in 2004...gutted about him

10 years before Unsworth took over...really been so limited in the past 7 years.

Plus the player disposed of - Bowler paid 5 million gave him to Blackpool - two good left backs one a USA international - there are probally more all not given a chance the Arsenal goalkeeper Virginia given away etc etc ....