Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
we didn't mess the window though. we messed the end of it - ironically enough after it seemed Kenwright and Elstone seemingly took over the dealings again (maybe through Moshiri's naivety, albeit)

No, we pretty much messed up the entire window, the fact that we were scrambling around on Deadline Day only reinforces that.

How did that retaining key players and additional transfer funds work out?

Well we retained our key player in Lukaku. We sold Stones for a record fee.

In the past most of that fee would have disappeared on 'other operating costs'. The one bonus we can at least take from this is that it all get spent on improving the squad.

My initial point was that it WAS a statement though

Hes gotta be 1 or the other, he either totally messed the window cos hes taking us for a ride or he messed the window up cos he aint got a clue.

Unless you have a 3rd option?

I think he was naive in not recognising issues early on in the window, or he was deceived by not having facts reported to him.

If the same was to happen in January, I'll concede my point completely and we have a wealthy fool as a major shareholder, however I don't believe that will happen, and knowledge I have of his company affairs in the former Soviet states makes me certain it will not happen.

I've stepped back a bit in the last few days, partially as I had other things to do and partially because I wanted to see how the discussion developed.

I find the idea that Moshiri sold £200 million worth of Arsenal shares just to buy £87.5 million of Everton shares (possibly £130 million approx with his options) and do nothing with them in a rising market of football valuations frankly ludicrous.

He looked at Everton for possibly as long as 18 months, and he has extensive due diligence capability. He would have recognised, as I did 12 months ago on national radio that the club was (i) woefully under-capitalised and (ii) had appalling management at Board and executive level. Therefore he would have known that the acquisition of 49.9% alone without any further investment would have been a poor investment decision particularly as it necessitated the sale of his Arsenal shares.

Undoubtedly the window did not go as planned, possibly down to unrealistic expectations of our pulling power but possibly down to poor execution of whatever strategy we had firstly by Ryazanstev (although he has to be credited with the Lukaku/Raiola situation), probably through lack of football experience rather than ability, and certainly later in the window when there was a tactical change the performance of the Chairman and CEO.

I've said before, Moshiri has made his fortune privately away from the public glare, and there is no way his first major foray into public life with an investment in Everton, would be allowed to end in damage to his reputation. There's no way just the purchase of 49.9% without further investment can become successful - our competitors are moving further ahead at a faster rate than we can manage. He (Moshiri) knows additional investment is required, if he didn't have the means to provide it he'd never have made the acquisition in the first place.

I maintain that the capture of Koeman and Walsh should be evidence enough regardless of some stuttering on the player acquisition front of Moshiri's ambition and ability to execute on that.

To come into a club which had regressed into the bottom half of the table, had no European football, and very little trophy prospects, and be able to not only attract figures of the stature of Koeman and Walsh, but also grease the wheels enough to make it happen, shows that he is a serious player.

He's displayed the ruthlessness to assess Martinez and his staff as unfit to carry out his ambition and promptly released them

He's shown his knowledge of the managerial market to identify Koeman and Walsh

He's shown that he has a proposition that is attractive enough to make one forego European football and the other leave the champions.

He's then shown that he has the financial clout to make those two difficult deals happen in terms of compensation (as well as providing the necessary financial packages for both).

Yes we've learned some lessons in terms of getting deals over the line at the level of the market we want to operate in but for me Moshiri has already shown more than enough to negate these ridiculous shouts of 'fraud' or 'asset stripper'.

Well we retained our key player in Lukaku. We sold Stones for a record fee.

In the past most of that fee would have disappeared on 'other operating costs'. The one bonus we can at least take from this is that it all get spent on improving the squad.

My initial point was that it WAS a statement though

50m spent on players in the previous 2 transfer windows.

But hey ho.

No, we pretty much messed up the entire window, the fact that we were scrambling around on Deadline Day only reinforces that.

What about Spurs Goat? Did they mess up their window because they're scrambling around on deadline day to spend £30mil just like we were, currently have a striker who can't kick a ball (at least Rom isn't in that bad a form at the moment) and even though they're apparently '100%' have looked a shadow of the team they were...

We didn't mess up the window whatsoever. The players we brought in have all improved us.

What we needed was a few more in quality areas - which I readily accept and I think the people at the top will as well.

I think he was naive in not recognising issues early on in the window, or he was deceived by not having facts reported to him.

If the same was to happen in January, I'll concede my point completely and we have a wealthy fool as a major shareholder, however I don't believe that will happen, and knowledge I have of his company affairs in the former Soviet states makes me certain it will not happen.

But you admit yourself hes not hands on, my biggest fear is that we are simply just another of his many investments, an investment that continues to grow as long as we remain in the Premier League.

What about Spurs Goat? Did they mess up their window because they're scrambling around on deadline day to spend £30mil just like we were, currently have a striker who can't kick a ball (at least Rom isn't in that bad a form at the moment) and even though they're apparently '100%' have looked a shadow of the team they were...

We didn't mess up the window whatsoever. The players we brought in have all improved us.

What we needed was a few more in quality areas - which I readily accept and I think the people at the top will as well.

Is that Spurs who contested the Title for a period while we contested 11th?

Spurs signed Janssen, their window beats ours even if we signed Messi and Ronaldo.

:coffee::coffee::coffee:

50m spent on players in the previous 2 transfer windows.

But hey ho.

And a manager who got us to 11th twice...

We've SPENT £60mil this window. Regardless of NET spend - which doesn't count nearly as much as all these superfan accountants on here like to think mate

I'd have liked to have seen more investment in the playing staff but I'm convinced it isn't because funds were available. What's concerning is the fact that we seemingly weren't able to get deals over the line to spend that money. That isn't down to Moshiri...

There's plenty of evidence of investment throughout the club, but of course the tunnel vision is transfers. As that's all that matters in football now apparently

But you admit yourself hes not hands on, my biggest fear is that we are simply just another of his many investments, an investment that continues to grow as long as we remain in the Premier League.

That's a valid fear to be fair. I'd counter it with the fact that it is his first public investment. He was anonymous at Arsenal, hardly anyone knew his name. Today any serious football fan knows who he is.

He would not risk his business reputation by investing in a company that he could not afford financially to see through to success. He knew before he bought the shares what investment was required and probably what personnel changes were required. If he didn't have the means, resources and desire to make those changes he'd have stayed a relatively silent investor in Arsenal.

I've stepped back a bit in the last few days, partially as I had other things to do and partially because I wanted to see how the discussion developed.

I find the idea that Moshiri sold £200 million worth of Arsenal shares just to buy £87.5 million of Everton shares (possibly £130 million approx with his options) and do nothing with them in a rising market of football valuations frankly ludicrous.

He looked at Everton for possibly as long as 18 months, and he has extensive due diligence capability. He would have recognised, as I did 12 months ago on national radio that the club was (i) woefully under-capitalised and (ii) had appalling management at Board and executive level. Therefore he would have known that the acquisition of 49.9% alone without any further investment would have been a poor investment decision particularly as it necessitated the sale of his Arsenal shares.

Undoubtedly the window did not go as planned, possibly down to unrealistic expectations of our pulling power but possibly down to poor execution of whatever strategy we had firstly by Ryazanstev (although he has to be credited with the Lukaku/Raiola situation), probably through lack of football experience rather than ability, and certainly later in the window when there was a tactical change the performance of the Chairman and CEO.

I've said before, Moshiri has made his fortune privately away from the public glare, and there is no way his first major foray into public life with an investment in Everton, would be allowed to end in damage to his reputation. There's no way just the purchase of 49.9% without further investment can become successful - our competitors are moving further ahead at a faster rate than we can manage. He (Moshiri) knows additional investment is required, if he didn't have the means to provide it he'd never have made the acquisition in the first place.

Playing devil's advocate but what if his intention is to just to make a return on his investment rather than make us successful?

If he builds us a new stadium he'll make a healthy profit. All he has to do is keep us competitive on the pitch in the mean time and it's job done.

"Lerner said: "It is my belief and the basis for my bid that Aston Villa can compete at the highest level within the Premiership and in Europe."

I'm sure a lot of Villa fans would say Lerner is a rich man and wouldn't risk his reputation if he didn't want to make the club compete.

Most rich men care about making money before anything else. People involved in making money in countries like Russia don't tend to be the most 'trustworthy' or have the best moral values.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back