7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
It's time to break out the big guns.

kCJexXd.jpg

the pure fact that we are still loaning monies from outside companies, points to the fact moshiri WILL NOT be bank rolling our football club with his own cash.
Just to wade in on the topic.

I don't expect him to bankroll the club whatsoever. If he needs to levy money against him in the short term then great (no idea how that works ) but in terms of spending his own money, I don't expect him to.

What I personally wanted from a new owner was one who could run the club efficiently and one who would get the club making money off its own accord. So better deals, no dependence on loans, more advertising , better marketing abroad, better in the transfer market , all those stuff.

I question the reality of the changes on the pitch as there is no proof to say we aren't sell to buy anymore but generally if over the next 2-3 years we can do all of that off the pitch then moshiri will have been a massive success for us.

The only thing I don't want is to put too much dependence on the playing staff. Expecting more from the manager because hme haven't backed him financially in a moyes esq move. Be nice over now 12 months to back him , bring better players in and then just let him get the results on the pitch to make marketing the club off it more successful

We have one striker, one, and he currently isn't scoring. If Rom continues his barren spell or gets injured we have Kone, Valencia or Niasse as back up. That is an inferior position to Spurs. Yes, they were also scrambling on deadline day but they secured their target whilst we did not. To somehow suggest we are the same as (or possibly better off than) Spurs following the window is bizarre.

I didn't say that. I simply pointed out that i comparison we have strengthened our squad more than they have strengthened their's this summer. Obviously, the caveat is they were actually good last season.

That's a valid fear to be fair. I'd counter it with the fact that it is his first public investment. He was anonymous at Arsenal, hardly anyone knew his name. Today any serious football fan knows who he is.

He would not risk his business reputation by investing in a company that he could not afford financially to see through to success. He knew before he bought the shares what investment was required and probably what personnel changes were required. If he didn't have the means, resources and desire to make those changes he'd have stayed a relatively silent investor in Arsenal.

We should also bear in mind how hard he tried over many years to be able to exert influence at Arsenal. Kroenke froze he and Usmanov out, but he wanted to have a say, a Board seat, a bigger stake...

You could say he appears to have significant ambition in this space.

I get your points but a cynic could say:

(i) No evidence funds were available over and above TV money. We haven't even spent any of the TV money, let alone the additional revenue for this year.

(ii) Bidding on players we didn't really expect to come or agree terms with us.

(iii) Not if you were holding out for the most money you can get for Stones.

(iv) Any signings we made that were looking close to complete could be covered by the additional TV money without any evidence to show additional funding was available. We were also bidding on a player with 3rd party ownership on the last day of the transfer window. If you were looking to put in bids you didn't actually want to pull off it was ideal.

I don't get why people are expecting the board to spend big or make ammends for the mistakes in January. We weren't prepared to even spend the extra 10m Euro's to get Brahimi.

The board aren't going to pay the kind of prices that would be quoted in the January window for anyone of note. They couldn't and didn't do it this window. All that'll happen is we'll wait until next summer, when we've lost the ability to increase wages due to the sale of Stones so we sell Lukaku and use his transfer to generate our money for transfers.

This is a textbook example of a case where we can use Ockham's Razor, which states that "Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected."

Your explanation assumes something @The Esk's does not: the existence of a conspiracy that worked to make it look like we were trying to sign players when in fact we were not. This conspiracy would have to involve at the very least Walsh, Moshiri, Kenwright and Koeman (but probably much more). There is no evidence of any such conspiracy, therefore your explanation is less likely than the simpler explanation.

But, did we though?

Obviously Mooms, it's all relative.

Spurs didn't need to strengthen as much as we did, clearly. They have brought in three players that will be in and around the first team this season - Wanyama, Janssen and Sissoko. None of them are world class.

We have, in comparison, brought in five players that will be in and around the first team. None of them are world class but we have added more and strengthened more on our squad from last season compared to how they have strengthened their's.

And i do like how the fact we now have a competent manager who twice in a row got a Southampton side no where near as good as the best choice XI we can put out to finish in the top seven...

Just sharing this here... Not saying I agree entirely etc (he's a Spurs fan btw I believe)

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features...ing-process-building-a-successful-recruitment

After Everton confirmed the appointment of Steve Walsh as their new director of football in late July, he was described in various places as a "transfer genius", a "super scout" and, by chairman Bill Kenwright, as having a recruitment record which "was part of football folklore".

It was quite the build-up. So, given the club's subsequently meagre performance in the transfer market, it has helped to create some disenchantment. When Big Ben struck 11pm on August 31, the club had secured the signatures of Ashley Williams, Yannick Bolasie, Maarten Stekelenburg, Idrissa Gueye and Enner Valencia, with young forward Dominic Calvert-Lewin also joining the Merseysiders on the final day. All of them are good players and will each improve Ronald Koeman's side, but none were befitting of any real hyperbole; as far as Premier League scouting goes, they had merely plucked low-hanging fruit.

Koeman is known for his discipline and for his authoritarian nature and so, rather than being underwhelming, this initial batch of signings has been philosophically smart

The perception surrounding Walsh puts him at a disadvantage. While descriptions of his work are subject to the usual tabloid jingoism, they still reflect a prevailing misconception: there is no such thing as a super scout. Some recruiters are clearly better than others and the methods employed by some are relatively superior, but job performance relies on layered processes and on understanding the needs of an individual manager.

A scout is, by definition, a facilitator and someone who equips others with resources. He can only be as successful as his relationship with that someone allows him to be. In Walsh's case, that's Koeman.

bolasie_everton.jpg

Bolasie was a £25m capture from Crystal Palace

Amid this flurry of frustration, it's worth recalling what Everton had become under Koeman's predecessor, Roberto Martinez. The Spaniard may have initially brought fluid attacking football to Goodison Park, but by the time of his departure the team had grown perilously fragile.

Everton were porous and riddled with individual mistakes, and so Koeman's priority has been to toughen their structure. The Dutchman is known for his discipline and for his authoritarian nature and so, rather than being underwhelming, this initial batch of signings has been philosophically smart. With the exceptions of Valencia and Bolasie, his additions have brought stability and conformed to his tactical beliefs.

Williams is a static, uncomplicated defender, Gueye a resilient ball-winner, and Stekelenburg a clear improvement on the inherited goalkeeping options. The reality may prove less convincing than the theory, but the intent is sound: Everton must inspect and improve their foundations, then they can start to rebuild.

Improving the present

Again, this is where the role of a director of football is misunderstood. One of the criticisms aimed at Walsh has been his failure to march a small army of Riyad Mahrezes straight into Goodison Park. He has been celebrated for his vantage point on the market and, yet, Everton's activity has been rather formulaic. But it is not his job to make speculative lunges on low-percentage players, rather to provide his manager with what the club needs most. Koeman's success at Southampton was, in part, defined by his ability to advance experienced players to levels which were thought to be beyond them. Jose Fonte developed as a defender, Ryan Bertrand and Nathaniel Clyne became internationals, and Steven Davis, Morgan Schneiderlin and Victor Wanyama evolved rapidly.

Equally, his reputation developed as it did in this country because Les Reed, the St Mary's equivalent of Walsh, had a broad understanding of what Koeman was as a coach and what his principles of success were.

While it may have seemed as if Reed identified Koeman as Mauricio Pochettino's successor on a whim in 2014, he had in fact paid great attention to his performance in the Eredivisie over many years. He understood that the Dutchman was the perfect coach for a club enduring a transitionary period, but evidently also how best to equip him to enable subsequent progress.

Conversely, there's no such history between Walsh and Koeman. Football supporters may not enjoy sermons about patience, but it will take time for a similar ideological alignment to occur.

The long game

But beyond the individual personnel, it's imperative to remember Everton's position in European football's hierarchy. They are now far wealthier than before but, for the moment, they remain at a disadvantage. Elite players may migrate towards large contracts, but they also seek the prestige of silverware and the exposure of European football, neither of which are guaranteed by Farhad Moshiri's investment.

Supporters may have seen the chance to sign Axel Witsel come and go, and may also have been jilted by Moussa Sissoko on deadline day, but those were circumstantial failures rather than technical misfires. Until some tangible signs of success are evident, Everton's market ambitions will be restricted by their reality; there's no way around that, that's just how football works.

Even in Roman Abramovich's early days at Chelsea and Sheikh Mansour's formative months at Manchester City, they were treated – despite what they could offer – with distrust. Understandably so too, because the world was yet to learn whether they were serious, sustainable projects, or earlier examples of what would occur at Malaga. Applying that reality also defeats the accusation that Everton are thinking short-term. Their signings have, generally, all been of a certain age and that has bred a negativity.

Targeting Europe

Since the end of the transfer period, several opinion pieces have claimed that, rather than being progressive, the club are seeking a short-term jolt and a series of quick fixes. But that's a reductive assessment and one which not only misinterprets these early stabilising steps, but also ignores the immediate need to improve.

If Everton are to capitalise on their new financial advantage, they must target the present as well as the future and must be in a position to convince coveted prospects that being at Goodison Park serves their long-term interests. In that regard, a healthy league position and European qualification is a powerful recruiting tool, certainly more so than vague theory about what might be achieved in five years' time.

Scouts, youth coaches and directors of football can identify talent, but there's a reason why the most successful youth teams in the country all come from the strongest clubs and why those respective academies have such a high concentration of talent.

Perhaps the greatest folly is the assumption that this is easy and that, from the moment they arrived, Koeman, Walsh and Moshiri should have inspired immediate revolution.

That underestimates how pronounced a disadvantage Everton have suffered through during the Premier League era and how much ground they must now recover. Similarly, it portrays advancement as a simple process which doesn't rely on a precarious balance between today and tomorrow, and which isn't built on an infrastructural harmony which can take months and years to perfect. Everton have a long way to go, but there's nothing yet to suggest that they aren't at least pointing in the right direction.

...some of you need to chill ya beans!
15 years ago we were promised Kings Dock by Betty's son in corrie...(Let that 4kin sink in)

FFS!!...can we not give our resident Billionaire (which we were all clambering for) more than 6 months to get his [Poor language removed] together before we start doubting his intentions?
...BAWK!!!

I agree with this. But! I think the fact the new loan has appeared and add to that things are still silent on the stadium, added to the fact the transfer window could be viewed as didn't exactly go swimmingly, I think a decent bit of PR is needed pretty pronto, if only to quash the doom mongers.

Obviously Mooms, it's all relative.

Spurs didn't need to strengthen as much as we did, clearly. They have brought in three players that will be in and around the first team this season - Wanyama, Janssen and Sissoko. None of them are world class.

We have, in comparison, brought in five players that will be in and around the first team. None of them are world class but we have added more and strengthened more on our squad from last season compared to how they have strengthened their's.

And i do like how the fact we now have a competent manager who twice in a row got a Southampton side no where near as good as the best choice XI we can put out to finish in the top seven...

They signed the young winger from Marseille as well. Suppose he will be a direct replacement for Chadli but much younger.

Let's look at us, Koeman said he wanted three keepers, we got Stickleback and no other keeper. We failed in that department.

In defence, we replaced one of the countries best prospects in Stones with a great defender in Williams but Father time is coming for him and Jags. He wanted Kone, we never got him. He also wanted cover for right back and that never happened. Failed in that department to strengthen as well.

Midfield, Gueye is a great bit of business. Bolasie I like, think he will get better for us. Not bad from an overall point of view for this department.

Attack, we ended up scrambling around to get a last minute loan deal for a Swansea target you were laughing about earlier in the day. Another failed department.

Spurs did the better work, because they already had a title challenging team have added to that squad quite well with young players.

They signed the young winger from Marseille as well. Suppose he will be a direct replacement for Chadli but much younger.

Let's look at us, Koeman said he wanted three keepers, we got Stickleback and no other keeper. We failed in that department.

In defence, we replaced one of the countries best prospects in Stones with a great defender in Williams but Father time is coming for him and Jags. He wanted Kone, we never got him. He also wanted cover for right back and that never happened. Failed in that department to strengthen as well.

Midfield, Gueye is a great bit of business. Bolasie I like, think he will get better for us. Not bad from an overall point of view for this department.

Attack, we ended up scrambling around to get a last minute loan deal for a Swansea target you were laughing about earlier in the day. Another failed department.

Spurs did the better work, because they already had a title challenging team have added to that squad quite well with young players.

Think the way players look after themselves these days we have at least 2 seasons out of Williams and maybe Jags. That gives plenty of time for the like of Mori, Galloway, Pennington or whoever else we sign to progress so not really a massive issue at this point.

Midfield is fine as you say in the middle and the wide areas. I am sure we won't go the whole season with Lukaku and Valencia so another striker will be brought in over the next window.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back