Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
@BlueToff ... With the like of Spurs (61,000) and West Ham getting their new grounds and their unrivaled advantage in getting corporate business with their location, our new ground, no matter how winsome it may be, doesn't gain ground on them if it's limited to 50 or 55 thousand.

Effectively, such a place cements us financially as a club which knows its place ... about 5th to 9th.

I'm one of the doubters when it comes to our ability to fill a big ground consistently and believe it would take a number of years of innovative marketing (largely among primary schools) through lots of free seats, coaching sessions and God knows what else to get numbers up to scratch.

But I don't see any other option as truly satisfactory or helpful.

50k would be the ideal tbh I reckon
Don't have a good understanding of construction so no idea whether this would be viable. But the ideal scenario for me would be to build a 50k seater in such a way that you would easily be able to increase the capacity should the demand prove to be there.

The idea of thousands of empty seats fills me with dread. The filth are bad enough as it is now with all these half season ticket jibes etc.

@BlueToff ... With the like of Spurs (61,000) and West Ham getting their new grounds and their unrivaled advantage in getting corporate business with their location, our new ground, no matter how winsome it may be, doesn't gain ground on them if it's limited to 50 or 55 thousand.

Effectively, such a place cements us financially as a club which knows its place ... about 5th to 9th.

I'm one of the doubters when it comes to our ability to fill a big ground consistently and believe it would take a number of years of innovative marketing (largely among primary schools) through lots of free seats, coaching sessions and God knows what else to get numbers up to scratch.

I understand where you're coming from but I don't think it always works out this way. Newcastle have a capacity of well over £50k and I can't think of a worse run club at the moment. Sunderland's I think is around the £50k mark too but always looks empty.

Conversely Spurs stadium is only £36k but they're possibly the best run club in the country and certainly one of the best teams. Also Chelsea's capacity is only slightly higher than ours.

I don't think the correlation between ground capacity and club stature is as obvious as one would assume.

Specifically regarding our new stadium, I just feel as though jumping from 40k to 60k seater in one swoop is too ambitious. I just can't see where we would find the extra 20,000 fans from. Put in another post before that maybe we could go for 50k initially but with the option to expand further should demand be there.

Stones put in a transfer request so no loyalty payment.

Koeman only had one year left of his contract and Martinez took a job straight away so your figure of £20m compensation is over the top.

Again the rest is just conjecture with regards to the money 100% being there. We've gone through it all before with the likes of Negrado, Fer, Odjidja-Ofoe so it's really not that far of a stretch to think the same might have happened here

Stones never handed in a formal transfer request this summer. He did last summer for a move to Chelsea which has no bearing on this summer.

Also gone through what? Negrado, we made an offer including staggered payments (very normal in football) which got rejected, Fer failed a medical, and Ofoe we didn't get the paperwork through in time - two of them had nothing to do with not having funds. Do you honestly believe a football club the size of Everton go around throwing phantom bids in for players? Just doesn't happen.

Koeman + backroom staff was around 7 million and any signing on bonus
Walsh was 3 million comp + any signing on bonus
Martinez + 4 members of backroom staff would have cost anywhere from 5-7 million

20 million is pretty spot on I say.

Stones never handed in a formal transfer request this summer. He did last summer for a move to Chelsea which has no bearing on this summer.

Also gone through what? Negrado, we made an offer including staggered payments (very normal in football) which got rejected, Fer failed a medical, and Ofoe we didn't get the paperwork through in time - two of them had nothing to do with not having funds. Do you honestly believe a football club the size of Everton go around throwing phantom bids in for players? Just doesn't happen.

Martinez + 4 members of backroom staff would have cost anywhere from 5-7 million

You missed off Agent Fees and the price of some chocolate hobnobs, but ok, they are the 1s that Ronald really likes.

Transfer requests don't just expire over time, once given in they have to be formally withdrawn.

Martinez (and Jones for that matter) forfeited a lot of their compensation by taking the Belgium job.

You can't have followed Everton transfers closely if you think we haven't thrown in phantom bids before. We've done it since Shearer

I was ridiculed all summer for suggesting Mosh wasn't going to spend big on players and I was proven right.

I still don't think he's going to personally invest in a new stadium and we'll be left with a handout job from the council. A brand new stadium is all well and good but when is that realistically going to happen? My guess is it will drag out for at least another few years before settling on an initial 45K capacity stadium, with a view to being able to expand should there be a demand for seats. Averages for last season are 38K in a 40K capacity stadium. Would look stupid building a 50K stadium with close to 12K seats empty. Just my opinion. I expect the usual "Kopite" abuse etc.

Well Mate time will tell but I do hope you are not being too pessimistic.

I am completely lost by people giving Moshiri stick and claiming he has no interest in spending money. You do realise it cost nearly 20 mil to get rid of Martinez and co and bring in Koeman, Walsh etc.

Not only that but it is confirmed that:

We had a bid of around 30 million on the table for Witsel
We bid 18 million for Kone
We bid 30 million for Sissoko
We bid around 20 million for that striker from Napoli
We bid 18 million for Perez

Each of them never came off for one reason or another, none of which were Everton's fault.

Now if all of them came off (of course we would have only signed one of Witsel and Sissoko and one of Perez or the lad from Napoli) that adds up to 56-58 million.

We sold Stones for 47 million, but we lost around 7 million to Barnsley. We would have also had to pay a loyalty bonus to Stones, I guess around 2-3 million. So the total we would have received for Stones is around 37 million.

We spent around £46 mil on Bolasie, Williams etc.

So firstly, we didn't make a profit in the window. We made a loss of around 8-10 million.

If the rest of our business had come off, that would have been a net spend of around 65-70 million.

The money was there! Unfortunately our lack of status, no European football and issues with the selling club meant we struggled. This process will take time and as Koeman has already said up to 4 windows to get the team right.

Lets all chill and enjoy the ride.

But the money you say was there had nothing to do with Moshiri. This is where the concern comes from, the fact that he has yet to invest in Everton.

City have always had comparatively big gates, tbh, and their attendances over the years prove it, even when they were in division three.

The window, followed by the news regarding further loans being taken out, has compounded the fears I had when it was revealed that Kenwright and Elstone were going nowhere.

A future shaped by those two is something I desperately want to see Everton avoid, and the fact that one has had a promotion while the other is still very much in the thick of the action fills me with dread.

It was be incredibly disappointing if Moshiri turns out to be simply the latest actor cast in the Paul Gregg/Robert Earl role.

That's the worry, I remember when Earl came in we all thought he would add something, he never he was used simply as vehicle for Green to have a say on the club and a interest wasn't apparent without digging.

I may be wrong there btw lads.

Like you said something doesn't sit right about how Elstone got on the board and Kenwright managed to have some impact on the club. Seeing as he himself admitted he had no idea how to run a football club, I can't see any tangible benefits for him to be there other than being a shareholder.

Spot on. We've got a once in a lifetime crack at this, and it has got to be right. Location and capacity are paramount as negative thinking will put us into regression, because other teams will pass us by.
We have to be serious contenders as, like many others, I don't think a competitive Euro Super League is a million miles away.
The corporate inducement is important to our steady progress, just as is the involvement at the early school level is a must.
A successful team will be self perpetuating, and while nothing can be rushed, nor will it happen overnight, progress must begin.

Which I happen to believe is the case.

First time in a very long time I was within a keyboard strike of committing on 2 season tks this summer. I held back to see how the transfer window would pan out in June/July and I realised then something just felt wrong about how we were going about our business.

On a positive note, we will get a new ground which will enable the club to be flipped again in 2-3 yrs but it will be window dressing away from the ground for the next couple of seasons. In the end, you have to look at the evidence in the public domain and that all points to a means to an end thus we have to hope that when the club is sold again that we get can progress the capital expenditure on the pitch not funded by player sales and loans.

The simple fact is that Moshiri is here to help with the new ground and the same old gang will be up to the same tricks each transfer window for a few years yet.

Debate the club not the posters....you have been told before.

65554085.jpg

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back