Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
Why would someone do that?
To minimise capital injection at this point in time. In a previous post, I was rather hoping for a response to how the Pru debt was paid off, but to no avail.
Capital hasn't been created to pay off this debt so that leaves 3 possibilties- cash grenerated by profit, sale of assets (unlikely if transfers were on the same terms), or further debt from a third party source, either RMF or BHHL.
Take your pick really but imho the further debt is the most likely source.

Things are coming along fine as I see it. Who wouldn't want faster progress?

POSITIVE:
- Koeman: I think we secured the best manager possible given successive poor seasons and inability to match the elite.
- Appointment of a DoF which "should" reap benefits into the future and provide more stability and continuity.
- Progress (if somewhat understandably vague at this stage) towards a new stadium, with an announcement hopefully in the offing soon.
- Clearing of debts.
- Exterior facelift for Goodison.
- Significant transfer budget was made available in the summer - unless clubs/agents across the UK and Europe were strangely complicit in doing our bidding. There were too many credible links in the media to suggest we were pursuing a strategy of phantom bids.

NEGATIVE:
-
Dreadfully poor planning and execution for player recruitment with no clear command structure. Ultimately next summer will the acid test here. A repeat of the same problems would suggest a much deeper, underlying problem, or simply, the budget isn't there.
- Continued retention of Kenwright and Elstone. If there are any continued barriers to their removal, they must be removed as a priority. People of the stature of David Dein and Brian Gilvary were being mooted as potential board appointees in the summer.
- Continued dreadfully poor club communication both generally to the media and particularly with fans. There seems to be no appreciation of how important this is within the club. Moshiri displayed poor judgement IMO supposedly using Jim White to provide "updates". Complete overhaul needed there.

Not a bad score-card 8 months in. I've said before here that as a toffee for over 35 years, whilst I admit to being impatient and even panicky at times, I have simply had enough of years of hopeless negativity. 12 months ago had anyone here ever even heard of Farhad Moshiri? Considering he is taking on a club laden down with 25 years of no ambition, no vision, and rudderless executivement management to list but a few handicaps, I would have been overjoyed 12 months ago to be on the road we have now embarked on.

Great post

Where does the "start" of the season end?

We have taken two points......two points.....from the last nine on offer.

And let's be honest, but for an eagle eyed linesman spotting a Palace player flexing his neck muscles and two City players missing penalties, it would have been nul points from nine.

And in none of those three games did we play well.

The way I see it, we are almost quarter way through the season and at the moment we are failing to capitalise on what was an excellent start to it.

And have dropped down the table accordingly.
You're a 'glass is half empty' kind of guy aren't you?!

You're a 'glass is half empty' kind of guy aren't you?!

Nope.

I am quite the opposite.

But you try and refute owt I said in that post

Two points from the last nine has taken the shine off what was a very bright start to the season.

And we have played badly in all three games.

Now.....you put a "glass half full" spin on that, Tim :)

To minimise capital injection at this point in time. In a previous post, I was rather hoping for a response to how the Pru debt was paid off, but to no avail.
Capital hasn't been created to pay off this debt so that leaves 3 possibilties- cash grenerated by profit, sale of assets (unlikely if transfers were on the same terms), or further debt from a third party source, either RMF or BHHL.
Take your pick really but imho the further debt is the most likely source.

I'm going with option 1. TV cash paying off the debts leaving Moshdog to fund big moves in the Jan and summer Window. Up the blues

I'm going with option 1. TV cash paying off the debts leaving Moshdog to fund big moves in the Jan and summer Window. Up the blues
I admire your optimism, but if you take the view that compensation payments for Martinez and Koeman come in at about 18mil, Pru loan was at about 20 mil and if (to my mind big if) last year's RMF loan has been paid off and assuming a similar level to the previous loan of 20 mil, then you are suggesting that the club has found 58mil without having to borrow. I find this difficult to believe.
If BHHL does fund anything, it is a loan until the share capital is upped on a rights issue.
Convince me I'm wrong.

I admire your optimism, but if you take the view that compensation payments for Martinez and Koeman come in at about 18mil, Pru loan was at about 20 mil and if (to my mind big if) last year's RMF loan has been paid off and assuming a similar level to the previous loan of 20 mil, then you are suggesting that the club has found 58mil without having to borrow. I find this difficult to believe.
If BHHL does fund anything, it is a loan until the share capital is upped on a rights issue.
Convince me I'm wrong.

More steadfast men than me will try and fail. I admire your pessimism.

More steadfast men than me will try and fail. I admire your pessimism.
Prefer stoicism to be fair - and I'm a Moshiri supporter.
I just don't subscribe to getting all excited about things like this because it is simple to say debt has been repaid when what is really meant is that long-term debt has probably been replaced with short-term debt.
If someone can explain to me how the debt plus compensation has been repaid without other forms of debt or creditors increasing,I will gladly eat humble pie with a shovel.;)

Nope.

I am quite the opposite.

Two points from the last nine has taken the shine off what was a very bright start to the season.

We got a point away vs the best team in the country last week despite conceding 2 penalties. It was a great result.

I just don't subscribe to getting all excited about things like this because it is simple to say debt has been repaid when what is really meant is that long-term debt has probably been replaced with short-term debt.
If someone can explain to me how the debt plus compensation has been repaid without other forms of debt or creditors increasing,I will gladly eat humble pie with a shovel.;)
You know what, it's Friday night and you've just pissed my weekend off. Can we please just have optimism and stick our fingers in our ears and hum ?

Nope.

I am quite the opposite.

We played perfectly fine at City, and not many teams will get a point there this season. The team were given a big ovation at the final whistle and there were no boos at all from the travelling fans. Everyone acknowledged it was a good game and a good effort by all involved.

Last edited:
You've formulated an honest assessment of the debt situation based upon the publicly available evidence and your professional experience.
I don't know if you're correct (I suspect you are) but I do know you've contravened one of the many popular unsubstantiated rumours on here that Moshiri has paid off all debt.
Taking such a position is never going to be popular but it is going to be appreciated by some. I'm desperate to see EFC succeed, and I've seen many positives since Moshiri arrived, but I prefer to base my expectations on reason not wishful thinking so welcome your input.

You've formulated an honest assessment of the debt situation based upon the publicly available evidence and your professional experience.
I don't know if you're correct (I suspect you are) but I do know you've contravened one of the many popular unsubstantiated rumours on here that Moshiri has paid off all debt.
Taking such a position is never going to be popular but it is going to be appreciated by some. I'm desperate to see EFC succeed, and I've seen many positives since Moshiri arrived, but I prefer to base my expectations on reason not wishful thinking so welcome your input.

Moshiri paid off one long outstanding debt, that had been in place for 14 years and had just had service payments during that time.

We still have some debt - all clubs do - but it's a major positive that the Prudential loan was paid off. Some people just want to look for something to moan about when there's nothing there.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back