Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
Could be wrong here, but isn't the Prudential loan the old Bear & Stearns loan ?
And this is where else I could be wrong but I am sure I've heard this stated, wasn't that old loan securitized by our season ticket sales ? Did we not have to pay a small percentage of our ST sales towards it each year. If that is the case, then especially with the amount of season tickets we sell nowadays, it was a good idea to pay it off.

An organisation like KEIOC hired studies of stadium solutions from first class architects, so Meis being in tow means absolutely nothing. That's all it is atm: speculation about the docks.

There's nothing so far from Moshiri to be 'blown away' over.

With all due respect that's completely different. Any 3rd party can ask someone to draw up some plans if their willing to pay. Meis seems fully engaged in the project, I reckon he would be able to smell BS if we couldn't afford it and therefore wouldn't want to be in the spotlight so much until things were further along.

Apart from when we were first created a move to the docks could be the biggest single event in our history. So if that's nothing to be blown away by what else is? The last time I looked stadiums aren't just plonked on the ground and filled up with hot air, unfortunately these things take time and we have to be patient.

It would have been far easier and a damn sight cheaper for Moshiri to say yes we have made a good deal with the council to build a world class stadium for Everton and the Commonwealth games at SC. Just the fact that he hasn't chosen that option you should be blown away by him.

People are too hung up on transfer spending, you saw how expensive the players we bought were, the step up again want european football. By getting a director of football and sorting the stadium out we are giving ourselves the best chance possible to compete. Spending cash on players does not equal success, just look at Liverpool and Man utd in the last 3 years...

It's not though, it should be viewed the same as a player transfer. Some owners would have stuck with Martinez, others may have fired him (we know how expensive that was now) but then scouted the market for someone cheap and available, any of the old names on the circuit Moyes, Bruce, Allardyce, Di Matteo. Then you get owners who fire the manager at exorbitant cost, then from 11th place attract (money and proposition) a trophy winning manager from a premier league club above you in the table and with European football. Not only that, he then pays out for arguably the best player recruiter in the premier league and snares him from the champions.

These scenarios are drastically different and therefore it's not just as simple as changing a manager. Moshiri took the hard expensive road for the best quality we could get at the time. This should be applauded not derided.
1/ The situation with Martinez was bust. Full stop. There was no limping on into a new season with him. Any owner would have acted that summer to replace him. As said: 'perfunctory'.

2/ Koeman has had two decent seasons in the PL, he's a cut above the names you mention there, but let's not kid ourselves this was the head hunting of a blue chip manager. That line has always been spin based on the insistence of S'ton and its supporters that they would retain his services. He has it all to prove. He is a middle tier manager and that's what we got. The Emery's and Mourinho's were way out of our reach. It was either FDB or Koeman. I'd rather have Koeman than De Boer, but that really isn't a massive endorsement.

1/ The situation with Martinez was bust. Full stop. There was no limping on into a new season with him. Any owner would have acted that summer to replace him. As said: 'perfunctory'.

2/ Koeman has had two decent seasons in the PL, he's a cut above the names you mention there, but let's not kid ourselves this was the head hunting of a blue chip manager. That line has always been spin based on the insistence of S'ton and its supporters that they would retain his services. He has it all to prove. He is a middle tier manager and that's what we got. The Emery's and Mourinho's were way out of our reach. It was either FDB or Koeman. I'd rather have Koeman than De Boer, but that really isn't a massive endorsement.
I've just fallen off my chair

06e6f7e9ed6828cc837703ffac1f0175

With all due respect that's completely different. Any 3rd party can ask someone to draw up some plans if their willing to pay. Meis seems fully engaged in the project, I reckon he would be able to smell BS if we couldn't afford it and therefore wouldn't want to be in the spotlight so much until things were further along.

Apart from when we were first created a move to the docks could be the biggest single event in our history. So if that's nothing to be blown away by what else is? The last time I looked stadiums aren't just plonked on the ground and filled up with hot air, unfortunately these things take time and we have to be patient.

It would have been far easier and a damn sight cheaper for Moshiri to say yes we have made a good deal with the council to build a world class stadium for Everton and the Commonwealth games at SC. Just the fact that he hasn't chosen that option you should be blown away by him.

People are too hung up on transfer spending, you saw how expensive the players we bought were, the step up again want european football. By getting a director of football and sorting the stadium out we are giving ourselves the best chance possible to compete. Spending cash on players does not equal success, just look at Liverpool and Man utd in the last 3 years...
Meis: in reality what has it cost him for the sake of a possible punt at a tens of millions of pounds contract for his company? A couple of paid for visits to a game of the city? That's just chasing up business. I'm sure Moshiri is intent on a stadium on the docks and Meis is confident of that serious intention. It means in and of itself nothing though.

he's looking at possible stadium locations. I think that's a pattern we were familiar with before Moshiri showed up

Question is, do you think that you are personally jaded and overly suspicious (understandable) of any new owner based on the misdemeanours of the old regime?

The stadium talk is very promising in my opinion. Of course, it is speculative until confirmed, but I would be surprised if it didn't come to fruition, given the circumstances.

Things are coming along fine as I see it. Who wouldn't want faster progress?

POSITIVE:
- Koeman: I think we secured the best manager possible given successive poor seasons and inability to match the elite.
- Appointment of a DoF which "should" reap benefits into the future and provide more stability and continuity.
- Progress (if somewhat understandably vague at this stage) towards a new stadium, with an announcement hopefully in the offing soon.
- Clearing of debts.
- Exterior facelift for Goodison.
- Significant transfer budget was made available in the summer - unless clubs/agents across the UK and Europe were strangely complicit in doing our bidding. There were too many credible links in the media to suggest we were pursuing a strategy of phantom bids.

NEGATIVE:
-
Dreadfully poor planning and execution for player recruitment with no clear command structure. Ultimately next summer will the acid test here. A repeat of the same problems would suggest a much deeper, underlying problem, or simply, the budget isn't there.
- Continued retention of Kenwright and Elstone. If there are any continued barriers to their removal, they must be removed as a priority. People of the stature of David Dein and Brian Gilvary were being mooted as potential board appointees in the summer.
- Continued dreadfully poor club communication both generally to the media and particularly with fans. There seems to be no appreciation of how important this is within the club. Moshiri displayed poor judgement IMO supposedly using Jim White to provide "updates". Complete overhaul needed there.

Not a bad score-card 8 months in. I've said before here that as a toffee for over 35 years, whilst I admit to being impatient and even panicky at times, I have simply had enough of years of hopeless negativity. 12 months ago had anyone here ever even heard of Farhad Moshiri? Considering he is taking on a club laden down with 25 years of no ambition, no vision, and rudderless executivement management to list but a few handicaps, I would have been overjoyed 12 months ago to be on the road we have now embarked on.

Question is, do you think that you are personally jaded and overly suspicious (understandable) of any new owner based on the misdemeanours of the old regime?

The stadium talk is very promising in my opinion. Of course, it is speculative until confirmed, but I would be surprised if it didn't come to fruition, given the circumstances.

Think most of us are the same, I just want Elstone, Kenwright and Woods gone so we can put their dark and twisted past behind us.

I suppose for some people, second best PL start ever isnt enough to make them anything but a lemon attempting to spritz in everyone's eye.

Where does the "start" of the season end?

We have taken two points......two points.....from the last nine on offer.

And let's be honest, but for an eagle eyed linesman spotting a Palace player flexing his neck muscles and two City players missing penalties, it would have been nul points from nine.

And in none of those three games did we play well.

The way I see it, we are almost quarter way through the season and at the moment we are failing to capitalise on what was an excellent start to it.

And have dropped down the table accordingly.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back