Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
What people forget about City are all the transition level signings they made first. They didn't just go Robinho Aguero, Silva, Toure in the first window. They picked up players from prem rivals: Barry Lescott Bellamy Santa Cruz Adebayor Wayne Bridge. Each one of these would probably be met with a load of abuse from Evertonians if Moshiri started doing likewise but this gradual improvement all over the park allowed City to challenge for the CL placings. Once they got them then the floodgates opened as their cash could now sway the big stars who wanted CL. Suddenly thinking that Everton are just going to outbid CL clubs for Koulibaly, Van Dijk etc. is just crazy. We need to build a squad that can challenge for the top 4, we're not that far off. That means a Schneiderlin level player in every position in the squad. At the moment we have 2 top 6 quality midfielders, a good RB (injured), two promising youngsters, two complete enigmas upfront who may or may not be staying, and a record signing crocked. It's barely a team let alone a squad.
Although we have one or three players that might be suitable for such, I also think there's an argument for ripping the wjhole thing up and starting again. It's probably unworkable in actual practice, but we want massive change, therefore we need a massive change.

What people forget about City are all the transition level signings they made first. They didn't just go Robinho Aguero, Silva, Toure in the first window. They picked up players from prem rivals: Barry Lescott Bellamy Santa Cruz Adebayor Wayne Bridge. Each one of these would probably be met with a load of abuse from Evertonians if Moshiri started doing likewise but this gradual improvement all over the park allowed City to challenge for the CL placings. Once they got them then the floodgates opened as their cash could now sway the big stars who wanted CL. Suddenly thinking that Everton are just going to outbid CL clubs for Koulibaly, Van Dijk etc. is just crazy. We need to build a squad that can challenge for the top 4, we're not that far off. That means a Schneiderlin level player in every position in the squad. At the moment we have 2 top 6 quality midfielders, a good RB (injured), two promising youngsters, two complete enigmas upfront who may or may not be staying, and a record signing crocked. It's barely a team let alone a squad.

Agree wholeheartedly. Just to add we have done that, with Williams, Bolasie and to An extent Gueye and it has been widely criticised.

The net spend argument is probably moot, if Barkley and Lukaku leave I would doubt we would spend more than another £30m-£40m on top.

Obviously it is crucial that every penny from sales is made available, but that alone will not be enough unless Walsh has several bargain signings in the pipeline. In fact, it is imperative that he has a couple lined up at least, if we are going to look to bring in 6-8 players. We will struggle to do that effectively spending a total of say £140m.

As much as I think this is the most critical summer in our history, those expecting to be able to make a definitive judgement on Moshiri based on spending alone, are probably going to have to wait another day.

Arnatuocvic was in my opinion a loss quite simply purchase the best player from the teams in & around you.

I tend to agree. I am going to try and write an article on summer strategy when I get a spare day or so.

I do wonder if we might revisit a deal for him though. Stoke look poor to me and I sense he could go. While he's not next level he is more consistent and reliable than what we currently have.

I tend to agree. I am going to try and write an article on summer strategy when I get a spare day or so.

I do wonder if we might revisit a deal for him though. Stoke look poor to me and I sense he could go. While he's not next level he is more consistent and reliable than what we currently have.
Agree he has something & I've seen him have good games against some of the better teams in the league one particular game v city he was excellent. I would however prefer to swap him in for mirallas out unless the plan is to keep mirallas until we see what's happening with bolasie.

Agree he has something & I've seen him have good games against some of the better teams in the league one particular game v city he was excellent. I would however prefer to swap him in for mirallas out unless the plan is to keep mirallas until we see what's happening with bolasie.

Agree also with Arnautovic. He is the sort of signing that looks better off the back of 3 or 4 other more "exciting" signings, whereas in isolation people would likely be underwhelmed. I think we will make a mix of signings this summer, of differing qualities, ages, fees, and profiles. The end result of all of the signings taken together is what is important.

Oh he truly isn't mate, he is massively inconsistent as a player, at least as bad as Mirallas or any other wide player we have

For Example he has scored 6 and assisted 4 this season, his goals came in 4 games, against Palace (1), Hull (1), Sunderland (2), Boro (2), his assists came against Hull, Burnley, Sunderland and Everton

So basically 9 of the goals he had a hand in came against the bottom 7 teams, 8 of those against the bottom 5, and 7 of them against the bottom 3 teams.

His record against the teams in the top 13 - 0 goals - 1 assist

An easy comparison to make is with Mirallas, who has the same number of involvment in goals (4 goals 6 assists though)

Goals - West Brom, City, Leicester, West Brom (return game)
Assists - Sunderland, City, Sunderland (return game), Spurs, Leicester (2)

8 goals or assist against teams in the top 9 out of his ten.

Oh he truly isn't mate, he is massively inconsistent as a player, at least as bad as Mirallas or any other wide player we have

For Example he has scored 6 and assisted 4 this season, his goals came in 4 games, against Palace (1), Hull (1), Sunderland (2), Boro (2), his assists came against Hull, Burnley, Sunderland and Everton

So basically 9 of the goals he had a hand in came against the bottom 7 teams, 8 of those against the bottom 5, and 7 of them against the bottom 3 teams.

His record against the teams in the top 13 - 0 goals - 1 assist

He's not had a great season and do feel his head has turned. I also think things are bubbling at Stoke and fancy them took down next season.

A lot of my take on arnie is the Eye test. I was impressed with him that time at Goodison. I've also seen him destroy United and City at Stoke. When he's on his game he's close to unplayable but you are right to say that's too infrequent. Koeman seems to relish managing big personalities though so would hope he can up his consistency.

If he was available for a reasonable fee I think he'd be a smart signing. He's the right age (younger than Mirallas). He'd also be premier league ready from day 1 which is important. If we are going for more obscure and younger signings that works but it does need to be balanced out.

The Mirallas point is a good one. I see him as similar but more explosive than Mirallas. Both of them seem petulant little gobshites but when their head is screwed on can be effective. If he pushes for a move we may be able to get him for around 20
Million which wouldn't be too bad.

He's not had a great season and do feel his head has turned. I also think things are bubbling at Stoke and fancy them took down next season.

A lot of my take on arnie is the Eye test. I was impressed with him that time at Goodison. I've also seen him destroy United and City at Stoke. When he's on his game he's close to unplayable but you are right to say that's too infrequent. Koeman seems to relish managing big personalities though so would hope he can up his consistency.

If he was available for a reasonable fee I think he'd be a smart signing. He's the right age (younger than Mirallas). He'd also be premier league ready from day 1 which is important. If we are going for more obscure and younger signings that works but it does need to be balanced out.

Nah mate, can see your point, but just totally disagree with you on it, there are a lot of wingers who on their day are unplayable, the thing that separates the ones who play CL/EL etc is consistency to a great part Aunautovic is at exactly the level his ability/consistency deserves, a 8/10 5-6 games a season and a lot of 5-6's the other games isnt what we need

I also think his mentality stinks - plus the fact his agent/player used us to get an improved contract, then he can sit and rot in the potteries

The one thing against Arnautovic would be he signed a contract extension last year didn't he? If so, we could forget about signing him for under £30m in this market, and that would be then be a firm no from me in those circumstances. There simply must be better value elsewhere.

We aren't, from what I see, going to sign 6 x £30m players, or 8 x £20m. Nor will we go on a huge hot streak and sign our top target in every position. There will have to be compromise, much as Koeman would never admit it in public. That is essentially the nature of the market for a club like ours.

To secure quality and quantity is the objective, but the two are not always bound together., at least not to the same degree. Particularly if we are looking at a player like Cuco Martina for example. There will be cheaper signings, who will probably have a bit of a "meh" factor about them, but they are going to be equally as important, if not more so, than the flashier ones.

RK having options off the bench will be as important as a strong XI.

The one thing against Arnautovic would be he signed a contract extension last year didn't he? If so, we could forget about signing him for under £30m in this market, and that would be then be a firm no from me in those circumstances. There simply must be better value elsewhere.

We aren't, from what I see, going to sign 6 x £30m players, or 8 x £20m. Nor will we go on a huge hot streak and sign our top target in every position. There will have to be compromise, much as Koeman would never admit it in public. That is essentially the nature of the market for a club like ours.

To secure quality and quantity is the objective, but the two are not always bound together., at least not to the same degree. Particularly if we are looking at a player like Cuco Martina for example. There will be cheaper signings, who will probably have a bit of a "meh" factor about them, but they are going to be equally as important, if not more so, than the flashier ones.

RK having options off the bench will be as important as a strong XI.

We won't be looking at Martina mate, and Aunautovic is overrated crap in all honesty

Nah mate, can see your point, but just totally disagree with you on it, there are a lot of wingers who on their day are unplayable, the thing that separates the ones who play CL/EL etc is consistency to a great part Aunautovic is at exactly the level his ability/consistency deserves, a 8/10 5-6 games a season and a lot of 5-6's the other games isnt what we need

I also think his mentality stinks - plus the fact his agent/player used us to get an improved contract, then he can sit and rot in the potteries
You make great points & I can't argue all I would say is I often work In stoke & know some good lads who go Home & away they tell me stoke haven't beat a team above them in the league all season & they are stale. I think it's fair to suggest Arnie as they call him would improve playing with for example Ross rom & schneidrlin v Walters whelan & crouch

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back