Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
We're front loading the spending in the sound knowledge that Lukaku + Barkley + Deulofeu + McCarthy comfortably covers it all.

We'll see how much of a change there's been on August 31st 11pm.
The thing is, everton could be making a fat profit but as long as we improved the squad who cares. That's a good business model.

Peek beyond the headline figure, one which seemingly spirals by the week as another high-profile recruit arrives, and it is not just what Everton are doing in the transfer market which captures the attention but how they are doing it.

This is a club whose supporters have grown accustomed to seeing business completed moments before the window closes rather than delivering many targets before it had even opened. Deadline day will not quite be the same without the mad-cap rush to beat the clock.

Recent weeks will go down as the most expensive in Everton’s history, a period in which more than £95 million was lavished on signings such as Jordan Pickford, Davy Klaassen, Michael Keane, Sandro Ramírez, Henry Onyekuru and Cuco Martina (subject to confirmation), although the statement of intent had been delivered much earlier.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F12d1a8c0-609b-11e7-b6f8-8145f3f5d431.jpg

Everton have already completed a number of signings this summer, including KeaneANDREW MATTHEWS/EMPICS SPORT
Farhad Moshiri, the billionaire businessman who became Everton’s major shareholder in 2016, does not make many public utterances, which is a shame given the chord he struck when addressing a general meeting back on January 4.

In a short speech, he realigned focus onto the pitch where the true barometer of success at any club has to be measured."

We don’t want to be a museum, we want to be competitive and we want to win,” said Moshiri. “We don’t have all the time in the world. We have a window to establish ourselves.”

This window - and the spending will not stop with Gylfi Sigurdsson and Olivier Giroud targets and the prospect of bringing Wayne Rooney back to Goodison Park, either on loan or permanently – has left Evertonians understandably pinching themselves.

EVERTON’S SIGNINGS SO FAR THIS SUMMER
  • Jordan Pickford (from Sunderland) £30m
  • Davy Klaassen (Ajax) £23.6m
  • Henry Onyekuru (Eupen) £7m
  • Sandro Ramírez (Malaga) £5.25m
  • Michael Keane (Burnley) £30m
  • Total: £95.85m
Everton have spent around £170 million (recouping more than £70 million) since the arrival of Moshiri, who spent about £85 million to buy a 49.9 per cent stake and put up £80 million in the form of an interest-free loan to pay down debts of £54 million.

His finance has proved transformational but the test is translating it on to the pitch. Yet in becoming relevant again Everton are benefiting from a collision of new money and increased ambition, transfer nous and continuity.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Ffa640a94-609a-11e7-b6f8-8145f3f5d431.jpg

Koeman has been able to convince players of Everton’s potentialPA/PRESS ASSOCIATION
Director of football, Steve Walsh, is considered to possess an eye for a player and manager Ronald Koeman boasts a certain mystique for prospective targets as well as authority having retreated to Portugal over the summer, while chairman Bill Kenwright proceeded with delivering on a clear vision designed to harness potential and, in other cases, proven ability.

“Clearly the level of resource we now have at our disposal, following Farhad’s investment in the club, is making a difference,” said Everton chief executive officer, Robert Elstone. “But the way we operate in the transfer window, and indeed how we manage the business, remains based on the same principles we’ve worked to for many years.

“We’ve always had ambition and always supported our managers as much as we possibly can. We’ve traded well over many seasons - and the experience, discipline and creativity we’ve developed stands us in good stead now we have increased funds to work with.

A new Everton is threatening to emerge as quickly as the plans for a shimmering new stadium at Bramley-Moore Dock
“In Steve Walsh, we know we’ve got someone leading our scouting who has a great eye for a player to take to Ronald and the board for consideration - and ultimately for the chairman to negotiate and bring to the club.

“As I’m sure everyone appreciates, Ronald is also a big draw for players when they’re considering whether to join us.”

It would have made little sense to take the role of negotiator-in-chief off Kenwright given his track record as one of the best in football. He remains responsible for persuading Moshiri to sell his stake in Arsenal and come on board, convincing him Everton’s “debts were assets” as Moshiri, himself, put it.

Kenwright knows only too well how Everton’s fortunes have changed, both figuratively and literally, having spent years where the early stages of his summer were eaten up negotiating with the banks to cut the club some slack .

And so there has inevitably been an adjustment he will have had to make when rival clubs recognise how the landscape has changed at Goodison Park and ask for bigger fees, players seek bigger wages and agents demand larger cuts. His ownership was spent railing against being ripped off and trying to make every penny count.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fbd9ffd6a-609b-11e7-b6f8-8145f3f5d431.jpg

Moshiri has transformed the club’s fortunes by offering his unconditional support to KenwrightTIMES PHOTOGRAPHER BRADLEY ORMESHER
It is here that Moshiri’s backing is best evident as he offers unconditional support which allows deals to be driven to conclusion without quibble.

There is no guarantee in-roads into the natural order will follow or that the glass ceiling will be smashed. Keane has potential for further improvement and interested former club Manchester United, but not sufficiently for them to go all out for him.

Pickford feels like an immediate upgrade on Joel Robles and Maarten Stekelenburg, but there is a clear onus on Koeman to now deliver with Everton clearly not content with viewing themselves as the best of the rest.

Whether or not Romelu Lukaku’s £100 million departure offsets the current outlay misses the point. A new Everton is threatening to emerge as quickly as the plans for a shimmering new stadium at Bramley-Moore Dock. Expect more expensive times to follow.
"His finance has proved transformational but the test is translating it on to the pitch. Yet in becoming relevant again Everton are benefiting from a collision of new money and increased ambition, transfer nous and continuity."

What utter nob-rot that is. Once an Echo hack, always an Echo hack.

His finances are not HIS finances, they are the club's finances, due from tv revenue + player sales....that's the new money he talks blithely about, not Moshiri's.

"Transformational". Sorry, but the last time I looked we finished 7th in a 6 horse race and ended our season on January 7th. I must have missed the transformation.

"Everton are becoming relevant again"...once a Kopite always a Kopite...I bet he had a good chuckle at writing that.

Apart from all that, a spot on piece of writing.

The thing is, everton could be making a fat profit but as long as we improved the squad who cares. That's a good business model.
It's the same business model we followed since Moyes became manager. "There's your assets - right there in blue jerseys."

It's the same business model we followed since Moyes became manager. "There's your assets - right there in blue jerseys."
Apart from, you know.. us spending loads of money since january.

What will change your feelings towards this? Keeping Lukaku? Or selling him and reinvesting the money to take us circa 150+m spent?

Apart from, you know.. us spending loads of money since january.

What will change your feelings towards this? Keeping Lukaku? Or selling him and reinvesting the money to take us circa 150+m spent?
We wont keep Lukaku or Barkley.

What will convince me? I'll start to give credit when or if we have a comfortable £50M net spend this summer. Then I'd want it repeated next summer.

We're front loading the spending in the sound knowledge that Lukaku + Barkley + Deulofeu + McCarthy comfortably covers it all.

We'll see how much of a change there's been on August 31st 11pm.

TBH Dave, ultimately we will see how things have changed when the final whistle goes on the 2017/18 season. Money isn't everything, and so long as we are bringing in improvements to the team, then I'm not so fussed if a player wants to leave. Cause that's what it is, if Lukaku and/or Barkley leave, it is for no other reason that they want to leave. If Lukaku was willing to sign a contract after our show of ambition, we are not likely to be turning it down now are we? Same with Barkley.

If we brought in 6 players who improved 6 positions in the squad, then sold one player (that can't stop talking about leaving and is determined for it all to be about him) to cover all of that cost, who really cares? Certainly when we are buying with a view to replace any of those goals from other areas. One of the criticism's of Barkley has been his goal return, he's been honest about that himself, so we bought Klaasen who has been performing, and scoring as captain of his team in European competition. Koeman has criticised Lukaku in the past for not working hard enough, so he brings in Sandro, who's renown for working hard. If those two stay, then we have a further addition to our strength, if they go, then we have filled holes that were there whether they stayed or not, that to me says improvement. What it doesn't do is make me look at the net spend.

We wont keep Lukaku or Barkley.

What will convince me? I'll start to give credit when or if we have a comfortable £50M net spend this summer. Then I'd want it repeated next summer.
Why though? If we had 0 net spend and won the league would that be a problem?

"His finance has proved transformational but the test is translating it on to the pitch. Yet in becoming relevant again Everton are benefiting from a collision of new money and increased ambition, transfer nous and continuity."

What utter nob-rot that is. Once an Echo hack, always an Echo hack.

His finances are not HIS finances, they are the club's finances, due from tv revenue + player sales....that's the new money he talks blithely about, not Moshiri's.

"Transformational". Sorry, but the last time I looked we finished 7th in a 6 horse race and ended our season on January 7th. I must have missed the transformation.

"Everton are becoming relevant again"...once a Kopite always a Kopite...I bet he had a good chuckle at writing that.

Apart from all that, a spot on piece of writing.

He was talking about the money he bought Everton with and the money he used to pay off Everton debts. He states there that the test it to transform it onto the pitch, so why your talking about last years finishing place I have no idea.

Apart from that though Dave, you're spot on.

TBH Dave, ultimately we will see how things have changed when the final whistle goes on the 2017/18 season. Money isn't everything, and so long as we are bringing in improvements to the team, then I'm not so fussed if a player wants to leave. Cause that's what it is, if Lukaku and/or Barkley leave, it is for no other reason that they want to leave. If Lukaku was willing to sign a contract after our show of ambition, we are not likely to be turning it down now are we? Same with Barkley.

If we brought in 6 players who improved 6 positions in the squad, then sold one player (that can't stop talking about leaving and is determined for it all to be about him) to cover all of that cost, who really cares? Certainly when we are buying with a view to replace any of those goals from other areas. One of the criticism's of Barkley has been his goal return, he's been honest about that himself, so we bought Klaasen who has been performing, and scoring as captain of his team in European competition. Koeman has criticised Lukaku in the past for not working hard enough, so he brings in Sandro, who's renown for working hard. If those two stay, then we have a further addition to our strength, if they go, then we have filled holes that were there whether they stayed or not, that to me says improvement. What it doesn't do is make me look at the net spend.

I'll qualify it:

We'll see if Moshiri is the real deal on August 31st 11pm when that window slams shut.
We'll see if Koeman is the real deal when the final whistle blows on May 13th 2018 4.50pm.

I'll qualify it:

We'll see if Moshiri is the real deal on August 31st 11pm when that window slams shut.
We'll see if Koeman is the real deal when the final whistle blows on May 13th 2018 4.50pm.

Think this is fair enough, i kept thinking it was unfair people were judging him before transfer window finished last year ..so should do the same this year

He was talking about the money he bought Everton with and the money he used to pay off Everton debts. He states there that the test it to transform it onto the pitch, so why your talking about last years finishing place I have no idea.

Apart from that though Dave, you're spot on.
How does buying shares transform a club's fortunes?

It wouldn't. But experience tells us that only big spenders get top honours. It's an iron law.
The thing is, I do understand where you are coming from. I'm sure the majority do. It's just that, I don't think it's particularly necessary to have a major net spend.

Having said that, if we hypothetically sold Romelu and didn't replace him with some boss togger players on top of hat we have achieved already, then I'd be concerned. Honestly though I cannot see that happening.

I actually don't mind @davek tbh. The thing that sets us apart as a fan base is our ability to accept different viewpoints on players, managers and club activity. Yes, at times he is just looking for faults but then this club has let us down for 2 decades now.

Hopefully he will be proven wrong, as all every Everton fan wants is to see this club be successful and competing with the elite once more.

If he came up with new points I'd agree, but it's just trolling by recirculating the same POV's, IMO.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back