Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
I gave him the Summer David, a Summer in which we spent more money than we ever have in our history, mistakes were made, again, but many people are overlooking the vast funds we have spent as a football club under his stewardship.

Hes not the golden Prince many thought, hes a very sensible businessman who is growing the assets of the football club.
Ha Ha Ha Ha
Ha Ha Ha Ha
Ha Ha Ha Ha
Ha Ha Ha Ha

...not sure he can be blamed for any transfer dealings. He made all of the Lukaku monies available plus circa £50m. We are not Man City, we are not PSG but thankfully we no longer have a hand to mouth existence. The manager has a transfer envelope, it’s up to him how he spends it. The envelope has a limit.

I’m concerned, though, with progress on the ground. The funding stream appeared to be sorted within a very reasonable arrangement. Architect has been appointed for a while. I would hope a world class businessman would then make it happen. I’m not seeing any visibility on it.

...not sure he can be blamed for any transfer dealings. He made all of the Lukaku monies available plus circa £50m. We are not Man City, we are not PSG but thankfully we no longer have a hand to mouth existence. The manager has a transfer envelope, it’s up to him how he spends it. The envelope has a limit.

I’m concerned, though, with progress on the ground. The funding stream appeared to be sorted within a very reasonable arrangement. Architect has been appointed for a while. I would hope a world class businessman would then make it happen. I’m not seeing any visibility on it.
If he'd allowed that sort of net spend this summer without revealing that he desperately tried to grab it back and make a small profit like last summer by selling Barkley and Niasse in the last few days of the window I'd agree. But he showed his hand and that makes it underwhelming as a statement.

We have sold some players for big, big money, yes, but we have also spent around 250m on players in the last 18months, for context we have spent a total of roughly 460m since the Premier League was formed, which means give or take 210m from 04-16, then after Moshiri 16-17 250m.

The ground is the big 1 tho, I do agree, would imagine we will know something very soon personally.

If he'd allowed that sort of net spend this summer without revealing that he desperately tried to grab it back and make a small profit like last summer by selling Barkley and Niasse in the last few days of the window I'd agree. But he showed his hand and that makes it underwhelming as a statement.

See that's not really correct is it?

Barkley wanted to leave, is that the majority share holders fault? Pretty sure that until Bournemouth everybody would have gladly walked Niasse out of the door too.

Pretty wild assumptions there that completely go against the grain.

..that’s an opinion, Dave. My view on that was that Koeman had exhausted the spend and was told he would have to bring monies in to purchase more players. I don’t think it was coincidence that the Barkley deal was a reported £35m, and reports from Portugal indicated we bid exactly the same amount for Raul Jimenez in the final days of the window.

I don’t think Moshiri was looking to reduce the net spend, I think it was more to do with raising funds for more spend. Neither of us know for certain.

..that’s an opinion, Dave. My view on that was that Koeman had exhausted the spend and was told he would have to bring monies in to purchase more players. I don’t think it was coincidence that the Barkley deal was a reported £35m, and reports from Portugal indicated we bid exactly the same amount for Raul Jimenez in the final days of the window.

I don’t think Moshiri was looking to reduce the net spend, I think it was more to do with raising funds for more spend. Neither of us know for certain.

Agree, I honestly think there was dough there but we simply couldnt spend it, yet again somebody is either dropping the ball or most likely the market is just simply disgustingly overpriced.

Agree, I honestly think there was dough there but we simply couldnt spend it, yet again somebody is either dropping the ball or most likely the market is just simply disgustingly overpriced.

Some truth in that.

Imagine if we had sold Lukaku for 75M (going up to 90) and had to spend half on that on a completely unproven striker or even 35-40m on a Vardy or Slimani. There would have been absolute uproar, just as there was when we paid 45m for Gylfi.

Some truth in that.

Imagine if we had sold Lukaku for 75M (going up to 90) and had to spend half on that on a completely unproven striker or even 35-40m on a Vardy or Slimani. There would have been absolute uproar, just as there was when we paid 45m for Gylfi.

Sky just dropped everybody in the league 100m+ a season, disgusting.

I think @davek was referencing that if niasse and barkley were sold we would breakeven or there abouts.

We have had a huge tv deal and transfers wouldn't have been hugely boosted when factoring that in.

I believe Jimenez offer was for a 3mil years loan in the end...

If moshiri was open to raising more funds for a greater / further expenditure then it would make sense, however what about the tv money as that would surely have covered us even if we had to do a walter smithesque sale of materazzi bakayoko and dacourt type window next summer...

Totally illogical to me and he even referenced the 3 number 10 signings we had made when saying it was mostly koemans squad.

Personally id say vlasic is a number 10 too as well of course Dowell and barkley.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back