Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
Not arsed if he upset the board, some reports I read from Dortmund fans seemed to be split on us style of play, from overly cautious to one dimensional.

Now, personally I’ve not seen enough of him and his team to give my view, but I know you like the arl German footy. Attack minded like Klopp with more defensive brain? Or Fat Rafael, defence comes first and a point is better than nothing?
He took Klopp's team - which were burnt out and uninspired when he left - and he got them working again. The massive surge counter attack was still there with Tuchel but he allowed those players to also possess the ball and retain it; press then conserve energy.

I think he's more nuanced than Klopp.

Not arsed if he upset the board, some reports I read from Dortmund fans seemed to be split on us style of play, from overly cautious to one dimensional.

Now, personally I’ve not seen enough of him and his team to give my view, but I know you like the arl German footy. Attack minded like Klopp with more defensive brain? Or Fat Rafael, defence comes first and a point is better than nothing?

A weird one.

Solid defensively because he starts with a 5 and a holding CM.

Can be predictable going forward but its all about space and timing. Likes forwards to sit on the shoulder and then break perfectly timed to get beyond unmarked.

Similar in defence, he likes one CB who can play to step up to win the ball but time it wrong and he's out of the attack and they've got numbers.

Not the high-pressing Klopp Dortmund game but better, more matured. They were dead on their feet after Klopp and whilst he didn't win a league, he got the players playing again.

Likes his Number 10's too so he'll love it here.

Not sure it's a case of I'm not fair. More a case of usually being wrong tbh. If I'm wrong again then great. I thought martinez and Koeman were both the right appointments and blatantly they weren't. So if I'm wrong on Moshiri being incompetent then great again. But this is the biggest challenge he's faced. He has to pick the right manager now. Today is a good step in the right direction.
You've hammered him, fraud this fraud that, demanded protests, questioned his ambition, said he was happy because we lost to "his Arsenal"

Fact is the fella has spent £18m in binning off underperforming managers, you do t do that if you're not committed.

This is just more evidence to me that we've got a good guy at the top.

A weird one.

Can be predictable going forward but its all about space and timing. Likes forwards to sit on the shoulder and then break perfectly timed to get beyond unmarked.

Similar in defence, he likes one CB who can play to step up to win the ball but time it wrong and he's out of the attack and they've got numbers.

Not the high-pressing Klopp Dortmund game but better, more matured. They were dead on their feet after Klopp and whilst he didn't win a league, he got the players playing again.

Cheers Conor, so a 4-1-4-1 of sorts with the front 5 pressing for the first phase, then dropping into position. I take it he gets runners in behind the centre forward as well.

Not arsed if he upset the board, some reports I read from Dortmund fans seemed to be split on his style of play, from overly cautious to one dimensional.

I can see the logic in going to a Rafael defensive coach. However, I just dont think it's our style as a club. We have to play to win games - all games as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers Conor, so a 4-1-4-1 of sorts with the front 5 pressing for the first phase, then dropping into position. I take it he gets runners in behind the centre forward as well.

I'm going to get dead formation nerdy here but he plays, what's called, 'the Pentagon' - https://developtowin.wordpress.com/2015/03/03/thomas-tuchels-pentagon/

Attack:

upload_2017-10-23_15-56-28.webp

Defence:

upload_2017-10-23_15-56-23.webp

He's done the right thing here. He's been unimpressive so far though.

The squad spending outside of recycled players is only about £10M more than what we could have expected under Kenwright if he'd been in charge the past 18 months and the stadium is barley moving ahead.

If he wants to get a profit out of this club he'll have to start making significant progress on BMD.

Yeah I like two things you've mentioned there. In my opinion, in order to generate huge profits he has to significantly multiply the club's value and then sell it. To do that I reckon he has two options: create a new stadium or generate revenues through making the team globally successful. I suspect he would prefer the stadium route as it is more controllable, and although it's hard to gauge stadium progress at the moment (or at any time), it doesn't look like great for either of the two options.

Certainly doesn't help having to fork out for severance packages.

Yeah I like two things you've mentioned there. In my opinion, in order to generate huge profits he has to significantly multiply the club's value and then sell it. To do that I reckon he has two options: create a new stadium or generate revenues through making the team globally successful. I suspect he would prefer the stadium route as it is more controllable, and although it's hard to gauge stadium progress at the moment (or at any time), it doesn't look like great for either of the two options.

Certainly doesn't help having to fork out for severance packages
Agree 100%.

Moshiri would like the breathing space a Moyes in his "pomp" afforded Kenwright: just someone to get us respectable finishes, avoid fan revolts and expensive sackings and appointments. Then he can get on with the job of pushing the stadium scheme forward.

Agree 100%.

Moshiri would like the breathing space a Moyes in his "pomp" afforded Kenwright: just someone to get us respectable finishes, avoid fan revolts and expensive sackings and appointments. Then he can get on with the job of pushing the stadium scheme forward.

It's hard to accept but also hard to disagree with you based on the evidence that's been given to us. I guess we just have to hope that we get lucky and accidentally appoint a really ambitious manager who wants a bit more than that.

You've hammered him, fraud this fraud that, demanded protests, questioned his ambition, said he was happy because we lost to "his Arsenal"

Fact is the fella has spent £18m in binning off underperforming managers, you do t do that if you're not committed.

This is just more evidence to me that we've got a good guy at the top.

Massive for him now that he gets the right man in. But I'm happy today and shocked and impressed too. But this is huge now, let's hope it works out.

A weird one.

Pretty good analysis that mate

Tuchel.

Wouldn't object to someone like Mancini.

Unsworth maybe deserves his chance though.

Be interesting if Tuchel would be part tempted by being in the same City as Klopp going head to head - instead of following on to a club after him and picking up a bit of a mess left behind for once...

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back