Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
You always have to have a bit of balance and trading is part of it, but we are being supported and dropping big sums in each window.

The posted accounts are very healthy, whatever you think of left backs and particular players or decision, the club is being supported.

...it appears that way. I’m of a view that the manager is given a specific spending envelope each window plus any monies he can make from outgoings. I think that’s a sensible approach and certainly better than the hand to mouth existence of the previous regime.

It's the clubs money. Not moshiri's or Kennwright's. But im glad the board are starting to take notice, but it's hardly any gesture.

Besides that, Moshiri has not cleared any balance, he just took over our loan.

...it appears that way. I’m of a view that the manager is given a specific spending envelope each window plus any monies he can make from outgoings. I think that’s a sensible approach and certainly better than the hand to mouth existence of the previous regime.

It’s quite odd for me after decades of running a book in my head and equating figures that would add to debt.

I posted somewhere else today that we are at a certain stage of a development cycle similar to the pathway of Chelsea and City, were to get close to progressing you have to buy the best of the rest, youth with potential and any pedigree available to you I.e. Walcott, Sigurdsson, Rooney.

City and Chelsea didn’t start with signing Aguero or Hazards, they bought the worst of the top and the best from the bottom in Duffs, Joe Coles, Santa Cruz, Adebeyor etc, as part of that cycle you are going to pay over the odds and get fleeced but it’s an important developmental milestone. In essence you have to be better then anything outside the top four and compeitive for it, weakening those around you by taking their better players and any crumbs of quality you can get with pedigree.

It’s quite odd for me after decades of running a book in my head and equating figures that would add to debt.

I posted somewhere else today that we are at a certain stage of a development cycle similar to the pathway of Chelsea and City, were to get close to progressing you have to buy the best of the rest, youth with potential and any pedigree available to you I.e. Walcott, Sigurdsson, Rooney.

City and Chelsea didn’t start with signing Aguero or Hazards, they bought the worst of the top and the best from the bottom in Duffs, Joe Coles, Santa Cruz, Adebeyor etc, as part of that cycle you are going to pay over the odds and get fleeced but it’s an important developmental milestone. In essence you have to be better then anything outside the top four and compeitive for it, weakening those around you by taking their better players and any crumbs of quality you can get with pedigree.

..which makes the role of the DoF and Manager key. Progression is entirely dependent on the identification of the right targets.

It’s important but I think you need a tired approach, you need to recruit the best of what’s below you, young players with potential a couple of years off and get fleeced to an extent on proven quality, you are operating in a limited market initially.

Recruitment is part of it, but player trading is also key to revenue and probably more important. You need to accept a measure of being fleeced like Robhino or Veron. But you also need to accept that a greater intake will lead to more mistakes or young players not making it etc, the ability to mitigate those mistakes, make revenue and rectify those mistakes are key. Take Niasse as an example, clearly a massive mistake, we made 2 million in a loan fee and will likely sell him for for hat we paid, same with Del same with Clerverly. Will be the same with Klassen and Sandro.

I really rate Walsh for this reason, I think his value is less in recruitment and more in player trading. I think he did a great job in January and the summer, I think he will do a good job this window to. He also has a cottage industry going in the loan market and is buying cattle to be sold of in the underage ranks if players don’t make the cut, he will find their level and get a fee via a loan and eventually a permanently

His value to the club is untold, tens of millions he will make the club. His role is far more then recruitment for the first team.

The criticism of him is really limited in my opinion.

Last edited:
It’s important but I think you need a tired approach, you need to recruit the best of what’s below you, young players with potential a couple of years off and get fleeced to an extent on proven quality.

Recruitment is part of it, but player trading is also key to revenue. You need to accept a measure of being fleeced like Robhino or Veron. But you also need to accept that a greater intake will lead to more mistakes or young players not making it etc.

I really rate Walsh for this reason, I think his value is less in recruitment and more in player trading. I think he did a great job in January and the summer, I think he will do a good job this window to. He also has a cottage industry going in the loan market and is buying cattle to be sold of in the underage ranks.

His value to the club is untold, tens of millions he will make the club. His role is far more then recruitment for the first team.

He's spent 200m in 6 months.

When's he gonna start making back these 10s of millions you speak of?

It’s important but I think you need a tired approach, you need to recruit the best of what’s below you, young players with potential a couple of years off and get fleeced to an extent on proven quality, you are operating in a limited market initially.

Recruitment is part of it, but player trading is also key to revenue and probably more important. You need to accept a measure of being fleeced like Robhino or Veron. But you also need to accept that a greater intake will lead to more mistakes or young players not making it etc, the ability to mitigate those mistakes, make revenue and rectify those mistakes are key. Take Niasse as an example, clearly a massive mistake, we made 2 million in a loan fee and will likely sell him for for hat we paid, same with Del same with Clerverly. Will be the same with Klassen and Sandro.

I really rate Walsh for this reason, I think his value is less in recruitment and more in player trading. I think he did a great job in January and the summer, I think he will do a good job this window to. He also has a cottage industry going in the loan market and is buying cattle to be sold of in the underage ranks if players don’t make the cut, he will find their level and get a fee via a loan and eventually a permanently

We made a nice profit of both Cleverly and Deulofeu.

Would Moshiri have bourght 49% of the club shares, in this present moment in time?

Is the club better of, after Moshiri decided to run Everton?

Do you see us moving forward, or moving backward.

Would Moshiri have bourght 49% of the club shares, in this present moment in time?

I'm a fan of Moshiri, but, certainly as far as the playing side goes, it feels like we've moved backwards, and we certainly havn't seen an improvement which you might expect from the real spend on players. In reality when he came in, we'd just lost to West Brom at home, played 26 league games and were eleventh in the league, so we've not moved as far backwards as it feels ( Obviously this ignores cup runs, but they spoil my argument a bit, which is why I'm ignoring them ! ).

Outside the playing area, we're seeing improvement commercially and more ambition than we've seen for quite some time, but he will eventually by judged on a combination of what happens on the pitch and the stadium. Things take time though, and when he first came in, I said something to the effect that he'll have a five year plan, which isn't really a timescale we, as fans, are comfortable with.

Anyway, to answer your questions :-

Would Moshiri have bourght 49% of the club shares, in this present moment in time? - Yea, I think he would.

Is the club better of, after Moshiri decided to run Everton? - Doesn't feel it, but, in reality, it's not actually massively different

Do you see us moving forward, or moving backward - Short term, backwards, medium to long term - forwards

I just don't see it, since he had soo much more money and talent, to work with, than anyone before him.

He has not been able to, bring us forward, dispite those facts.

I honestly think he bought us because there was a very good chance of us winning the Commonwealth games so no. The Americans who were also in the picture at the time were also known as owners who had used public funds to build a stadium.

I also don't think this is surprising because I doubt anyone would be interested in funding a stadium without essentially getting most of it for free. The build cost is far too high and the payoff too long term for most external investors which is why we have had such trouble in the past. I really hope the council deal works because I don't really see any alternative.

Is the club in a better position?

If the stadium deal works out then absolutely 100%. If it doesn't then I hate to say it but he will have put us back to the time before Moyes where we were struggling to stay in the premiership because we will have sold all our large playing staff assets and he hired people who wasted the money.

If the stadium deal doesn't work out he won't be around to pick up the pieces.

I honestly think he bought us because there was a very good chance of us winning the Commonwealth games so no

Err, you do know that at the time Moshiri bought us, Durban were still expected to host the 2022 games and Birmingham were always going to be more likely to get a shout at the games than Liverpool was. Using your reasoning, he should have bought WBA, Birmingham or Villa.

ffs, why am I even engaging with you

*goes for a lie down

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back