Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
No, we dont Dave. Know the detail yet. We know LCC are helping out, which apparently will be of benefit to Liverpool. (sic). We have not got a clue how the balance will be structured.
We know the broad brush strokes: LCC loan + naming rights deal + private investment.

It makes sense. We have to take on the debt in order to provide the club with better commercial prospects for years to come. Currently we are increasing our commercial activities but still falling behind the top 6 in those terms. By borrowing the money from LCC we can negotiate a better rate than if we go out ourselves to raise the money.
We need a partner.

In fact, wasn't that told to us time and time again in other stadium schemes - that any attempt to build a stadium had to have public/private cash in order to make a stadium scheme work for us?

Elstone at the time of Destination Kirkby:

"The real beauty of the Kirkby project is that it is substantially funded by private sector support. Without that it wouldn’t have any legs. It also has considerable support from Knowsley Council in various other ways. This private and public sector support has not come forward on any other scheme that has been considered or presented. As I said, the first questions we have to ask on any scheme is, “How much?” and “Where does the money come from?” If those questions aren’t answered then it is obviously impossible to proceed".

Logistically a flawed scheme, for sure, but the people running the club knew what the realities are for a club of our size and funding a new stadium.

We need a partner.

In fact, wasn't that told to us time and time again in other stadium schemes - that any attempt to build a stadium had to have public/private cash in order to make a stadium scheme work for us?

Elstone at the time of Destination Kirkby:

"The real beauty of the Kirkby project is that it is substantially funded by private sector support. Without that it wouldn’t have any legs. It also has considerable support from Knowsley Council in various other ways. This private and public sector support has not come forward on any other scheme that has been considered or presented. As I said, the first questions we have to ask on any scheme is, “How much?” and “Where does the money come from?” If those questions aren’t answered then it is obviously impossible to proceed".

Logistically a flawed scheme, for sure, but the people running the club knew what the realities are for a club of our size and funding a new stadium.
That was before a billionaire bought into the club and television revenues rocketed to unprecedented levels.

Weak argument you’re putting up here. The only way Everton can raise the type of money you’re talking about is by moving to a new stadium, we can’t do that without taking on debt.

If you want us to be a steady eddy and just bob along in the Premier League, never doing anything, we stay at Goodison and wait for the rot to set in.

As a match-going, fanatical Evertonian, I want more for my team. I’m glad we’re taking this risk today, in The hope for a better tomorrow.

Well I am not with you on that Woolly, the debt could be 600 mill upwards that is a big hangover for any new buyer to swallow, As for servicing that from what you say how are we going to get players in to push upwards?

I can't see any circumstances where a stadium will be built without it making financial sense mate. In other words, the cost of the interest and the repayments will be more than covered by the increased revenue from the stadium. That might not happen in year one after it's been opened, but it should happen sooner, much sooner, than later. In that respect, the size of the debt doesn't really matter.

The other thing to bear in mind is the timescales involved in this sort of project. If a stadium build costs us 500 million, then, in real terms, inflation will eat away at that debt. Even if "football inflation" was running at 4% ( and I'd guess it'll run a fair bit higher than that in the near future ) then, in terms of the football world you'd get something like :-

• In five years, 500 million would be something like 410
  • In ten years it's be ~335 million
  • In twenty years it'd be ~228 million
Basically it's a lot like buying a house and knowing ( or hoping if you're an eternal pessimist ) that your wage will go up and so the amount you're shelling out will be less and less of your disposable incomes as time goes by. So, in the early years, our interest and repayments would mean we might not see much benefit from a new stadium, but once you get five or ten years down the line, then it all starts to look a lot more attractive.

As footie fans, we don't tend to look more than a season ahead, but businessmen with the sort of money that Mosh has think much longer term.

That was before a billionaire bought into the club and television revenues rocketed to unprecedented levels.

Weak argument you’re putting up here. The only way Everton can raise the type of money you’re talking about is by moving to a new stadium, we can’t do that without taking on debt.

If you want us to be a steady eddy and just bob along in the Premier League, never doing anything, we stay at Goodison and wait for the rot to set in.

As a match-going, fanatical Evertonian, I want more for my team. I’m glad we’re taking this risk today, in The hope for a better tomorrow.
All the billionaire is doing is organising huge loans for the stadium scheme. The tv cash is eaten up by transfer spending.

It's not what I've been suggesting, as well you know.
One of your ‘suggestions’ is the tax payer footing the bill for some of the stadium because we’re the catalyst for a city-benefitting project, the other is scaling the project down, which no sane fan wants and the third is trying to redevelop Goodison.

Can you tell me how we’d go about redeveloping Goodison? Do we knock that school down or kick people out of their homes? What about late hours and the noise pollution in a housing area? Completely unrealistic idea.

This stadium has to happen, for even the slightest chance of Everton ever being a successful club again.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back