Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
So how many other clubs have managed to have the local authority lend them money to build a new stadium?

If both parties feel it's a good deal for them then why not? Local authorities lending money to local business to expand and build is nothing new. It's at the extreme end of the scale but it isn't the bizarre notion that some seem to feel it is. It's just one of many options available to secure funding - something all clubs have done in this situation.

That aside, the current pace of the stadium is par for the course. Arsenal had around a 3 year gap between identifying a site and actually starting construction and Spurs took a lot longer. It's a project that has massive costs and also massively affects the surrounding areas during both construction and again once it is in use. Each project will also have it's own unique problems to overcome.

I like your posts @davek and you usually talk sense.

I work in the water industry and have seen contracts of a meagre value of a few hundred thousand stall for a couple of years. Multiple consultants slow things down considerably. Add to that the hoops you have to jump through to obtain planning. It's not just the planning, its the feasibility study, the environmental impact assessment, sustainability of materials, coordination of civils and M&E, design risk assessments, O&M assessments, BIM coordination, contractor due diligence (i.e. pre-qualification assessments)....the list is endless, and for each item, expect no end of comments and revisions.

A build of this type is phenomenal. The drawing board (or Revit board) will be busy to say the least. I can fully appreciate the complexities of this project.

I will slate him over the stadium if it falls down, but I suspect we are still hoop jumping.
A water board contract and a stadium that has apparently all major players pulling in the one direction are slightly different animals.

The real brake on this project will be over cash. If Everton had their own to build this then the delays we'll face would be minimal. The fact that the club have to look to the public purse to get this built (almost certainly now 100% of it) is going to result in committee after committee and professional consultation after consultation, and perhaps even looked at more closely at central government level.

Moshiri has got a ball rolling on this because its a free shot in the dark. If it comes off he's hit the mother lode.

Incorrect again. You have spouted this nonsense on a number of occasions Dave, and you are still wrong. We are much, much further ahead with this that we ever was with KD, DK or WHP, miles further forward. It is just seeming different because the procurement route is different this time.
DK = June 2006: Everton select Kirkby site; February 2007: planning permission sought.

Last edited:

Also we all know if moshiri wasn’t around. Martinez would have still been our manager well into the next season. Let’s not forget the what a manager quote after the Chelsea cup game.

He probably would have sacked him the following January. Abd using the lukaku sale to pay him off. Then he would have gone back for moyes. Or got another championship manger in, happy to be at Everton and double his salary. With sell to buy written into the contract.

And yet under Moshiri there is a good chance that tool Allardyce could still be here next season.

A water board contract and a stadium that has apparently all major players pulling in the one direction are slightly different animals.

The real brake on this project will be over cash. If Everton had their own to build this then the delays we'll face would be minimal. The fact that the club have to look to the public purse to get this built (almost certainly now 100% of it) is going to result in committee after committee and professional consultation after consultation, and perhaps even looked at more closely at central government level.

Moshiri has got a ball rolling on this because its a free shot in the dark. If it comes off he's hit the mother lode.

This is my concern too. I understand and accept that the council acting as guarantor will not divert its income from central funds and in fact will provide them with several million a year extra, but perception is reality for projects like this, and that is magnified considerably in an era of austerity when belt tightening has been the order of the day for a decade and more.

It's then just very simple for local and national politicians seeking some easy press, not to mention other locals and anyone with a biased agenda against the club come hell or high water, the RS in other words, to jump on the "anti" bandwagon with the result that momentum, already slow, grinds to a complete halt in a sea of reviews, consultations, and reports.

The club can't call the shots when its still effectively borrowing someone elses money, so called "public" money, and the rationale and logic behind the project doesn't count for very much at all when that's the case.

I think this is 50:50 at best and I say that with a heavy heart.

This is my concern too. I understand and accept that the council acting as guarantor will not divert its income from central funds and in fact will provide them with several million a year extra, but perception is reality for projects like this, and that is magnified considerably in an era of austerity when belt tightening has been the order of the day for a decade and more.

It's then just very simple for local and national politicians seeking some easy press, not to mention other locals and anyone with a biased agenda against the club come hell or high water, the RS in other words, to jump on the "anti" bandwagon with the result that momentum, already slow, grinds to a complete halt in a sea of reviews, consultations, and reports.

The club can't call the shots when its still effectively borrowing someone elses money, so called "public" money, and the rationale and logic behind the project doesn't count for very much at all when that's the case.

Anderson stated (worryingly) in his podcast that the terms and conditions of the "invest to earn" fund they get access to can change, and that the next review is later this year.

That's pretty unstable.

This is the case. People can keep saying it will benefit LCC with the payments from us but the risk is still substantial.

People will question why a billionaire in a multi billion pound industry is getting LCC to act as a guarantor and if it does go all wrong it will be the people of Liverpool who cover the costs.

People need to take them blue tinted glasses off and see this. Joe's opponents will be against it, non footballing fans will be questioning why and that lot across the park will definately have a word to say.

If people think this will breeze through nice and easy, it wont.

Anderson stated (worryingly) in his podcast that the terms and conditions of the "invest to earn" fund they get access to can change, and that the next review is later this year.

That's pretty unstable.

Haha just as an indication of how silly this thread is getting Anderson actually said they’ve just had a review and not made any changes so we have another 12 months before that’s even looked at.

That's pretty unstable.
No he didn’t, he said it’s in a minimum of 12 months before they even consider looking at this form of lending and even then they will be slightly busier with Brexit

Haha just as an indication of how silly this thread is getting Anderson actually said they’ve just had a review and not made any changes so we have another 12 months before that’s even looked at.
...just every 12 months then? Great. Nothing like the future being secured.

So Farhad, come on make the two big footballing decisions now. Sack Walsh and Sam and let’s build with a forward thinking pair who will help build a team that wins and plays attractive football.

Leaving it too late will have a knock on effect.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back