Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
Like almost everything the truth lies somewhere in between.

He has invested 150 mill in the club that will eventually be turned into shares. The plan as far as i read it is the stadiums is the key part of that strategic investment. In order to maximize his investment the price of Everton has to rise so he can sell it on. The vehicle for that is the stadium and improved infrastructure that will increase the value of the club. That will see a profit on his shares eventually.

The 150 million went into clearing the balance sheet. That is vital before we can enter into loan arrangements with the council and else where to fund the stadium no body is going to enter into a lending arrangement with another body if the borrower is holding 10's of million in debt.

So he cleared the balance sheet and the rest went to providing working capital to the club.

What was that spent on? From my reading a few bits it allowed us to raise the wage bill and to supplement transfers. All of that is fine in theory.

Now the rub, it is true to say a lot of our transfer activity has been provided by outs. We have sold every sell-able gem we have in Lukaku, Barkley and Stones and this has funded the vast majority of transfer business and wages. The rest has been supplemented by Moshiri's investment and it in reality he is a modest contributor.

Its important to say on the above that decision making in this has been weak and poorly governed - in essence we blew the boom, we lost Stones, Barkley and Lukaku and have gotten worse by spending poorly. That is poor management from the coach, DOF all the way up to the board and Moshiri himself. Shockingly bad.We are left with wage bill of 140 mill with a turnover of 180 million. Unsustainable.

What has been fiasco, is the hiring and firing of managers and backroom teams i make that liability somewhere between 40 - 60 million in compensation from Martinez onward. That is shockingly bad considering the above wage figures and now this compo, you can see why there is very little cash flow in the club and we are so keen to cut our cost base i.e. players and wages.

Something many people haven't picked up on is we have borrowed on the strength of transfer fees expected i.e. we are due payments on particularly the Stones and Lukaku deals over a period of years. We have borrowed on the strength of those advanced payments, so when they are received they go to the bank in repayment. Its creative accounting.

So i would summise in theory Moshiri has been good for Everton but very poor in practice. He has tried to take remedial steps this summer to stop the flow of blood from the wound but some damage has already been done.

He is not the goose who lays the golden eggs, in essence he is mid level PL investor trying to turn a profit and raise the value of the club with good intent but thus far has been poor in practice and is i suspect he is tapped out for a couple of years. In essence he has brought in Brands as a receiver in a way to rationalise the business as its getting to be a basket case and is unsustainable.

Anything that has been spent on the pitch has been supplemented rather then provided. Its mostly sales and supplements. There is a lot of clever accounting going on to that we would do well to keep an eye on. He is not a game changer owner in my opinion.

That is my analysis of the situation.

You make some good points.

But saying he is a mid level owner is very harsh.

There is only 1 "investor" who has invested more into their club since Moshiri took over us, Manchester City.

I do agree that the cupboard is bare, we overspent, which wouldnt have been an issue, if we overspent on quality, but we didnt, so now we have to pay for that overspend, probably at least for the next year or 2.

Hes made some very, very bad business decisions, most of them I doubt he would do in his normal business, but I think he got bitten by the Everton bug and really thought he could make a difference, he probably woke up 1 morning with his credit card full of white powder, thongs all over the place and thought, my God, what have I done. Now hes clean and sober and he realises that hes gotta stop going out for a bit, get his head together and treat the club like he would any other business.

Hes a Businessman, hes invested into the club to make a profit, hes given us a cashboost, now its all about maximixing the business model.

As you say we are club with a turnover not far off 200m a year, so we certainly arent skint, but as you allude to, the players we bought still have to be paid for, we didnt pay for them all last summer, we will be paying for some of them for the next few years.

In short he trusted the wrong people with his money and he got burnt, I doubt it bothers him, hes got loads more, but it would suggest that hes done throwing money at us, for the time being.

You make some good points.

But saying he is a mid level owner is very harsh.

There is only 1 "investor" who has invested more into their club since Moshiri took over us, Manchester City.

I do agree that the cupboard is bare, we overspent, which wouldnt have been an issue, if we overspent on quality, but we didnt, so now we have to pay for that overspend, probably at least for the next year or 2.

Hes made some very, very bad business decisions, most of them I doubt he would do in his normal business, but I think he got bitten by the Everton bug and really thought he could make a difference, he probably woke up 1 morning with his credit card full of white powder, thongs all over the place and thought, my God, what have I done. Now hes clean and sober and he realises that hes gotta stop going out for a bit, get his head together and treat the club like he would any other business.

Hes a Businessman, hes invested into the club to make a profit, hes given us a cashboost, now its all about maximixing the business model.

As you say we are club with a turnover not far off 200m a year, so we certainly arent skint, but as you allude to, the players we bought still have to be paid for, we didnt pay for them all last summer, we will be paying for some of them for the next few years.

In short he trusted the wrong people with his money and he got burnt, I doubt it bothers him, hes got loads more, but it would suggest that hes done throwing money at us, for the time being.

Opinions will be polarised one way or another depending on where you stand on the hope and despair spectrum.

My post wasn't really about canvassing or winning hearts and minds.

More a state of the union and my own analysis.

For me there are red flags, but i haven't reached an ultimate conclusion and tried to be balanced in the post on objective facts. I'm currently sitting at good in theory, poor in practice thus far.

When it comes to Twitter, you only ever need to look at the type of dirge these folks post to presume whether or not they're correct in their analysis of the club/Moshiri.

Here's two of the perpetrators spreading the skint rumour tonight.

Verdict: Cranks.

So Panorama/BBC investgate Evertons ownership and the connections involving Moshiri and find next to nothing but Billy top blue from Old Swan finds out where all the dosh comes from and that Mosh is hiding behind his couch coz the Provies knocking at the door,I believe it

So Panorama/BBC investgate Evertons ownership and the connections involving Moshiri and find next to nothing but Billy top blue from Old Swan finds out where all the dosh comes from and that Mosh is hiding behind his couch coz the Provies knocking at the door,I believe it
I don't believe the old swan bit.

Those bloody Provies

There can be only one source we should trust:
johnnyShoeshine.webp

Johnny shoeshine!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back