Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
We had the man in place in Martinez. I just think the mistake that Moshiri made was giving into the massive pressure of the fan base and media to let him go as a sign of the new era of ownership. Yes there were rocky times and awful derby performances in RM's three seasons in charge but the fact of the matter is that he was trying to implement a much more attractive and progressive offensive style of game on a shoe string budget with a group of players that were drilled by Moyes in the rigid structures and negative (yet reasonably effective) style of game. When FM came in, if Martinez was given the funds that the managers since him had to spend (plus that which was wasted on multiple manager payoffs) we'd be looking more like Leicester or dare I say it Spurs of the last few seasons than this one that has no style of play and is wallowing in mediocrity with no light at the end of the tunnel.
Only one word adequately describes this post:

... ‘phenomenal’...

We had the man in place in Martinez. I just think the mistake that Moshiri made was giving into the massive pressure of the fan base and media to let him go as a sign of the new era of ownership. Yes there were rocky times and awful derby performances in RM's three seasons in charge but the fact of the matter is that he was trying to implement a much more attractive and progressive offensive style of game on a shoe string budget with a group of players that were drilled by Moyes in the rigid structures and negative (yet reasonably effective) style of game. When FM came in, if Martinez was given the funds that the managers since him had to spend (plus that which was wasted on multiple manager payoffs) we'd be looking more like Leicester or dare I say it Spurs of the last few seasons than this one that has no style of play and is wallowing in mediocrity with no light at the end of the tunnel.
Spot on.

If Mosh had any footballing judgement he would have realised the unparalleled success of Martinez first season was in spite of the Moyes deadwood and desperation buys. If he could turn back the clock bet he would say as much after seeing his money thrown down the shute by Koeman&co.

Could see the Echo headline "Moshiri to properly fund the Martinez revolution"

It's all well and good sounding out elite managers to make us sound like we've got ambition, but when you see what kind of money these type of managers our on then it's a pointless exercise, we pay Silva 3mil a year, Simeone gets just under that a month

Hhhmmm....I’m sure I’ve just seen the other clown Harv say Watford are a better club than Sporting Lisbon and Olympiacos.

I can’t be bothered going back to check. Even he’s not that daft............

I think we would pay Simeone what he wants, the problem with that is that once you pay your manager 40m a year, you have no money left to buy players or pay player wages.
I honestly think people are overlooking how much investment this squad still needs. The likes of Simeone etc would have a hard time getting top 4 with us imo. Don't think Silva is the answer but I do think a lot of it has been bad luck. Can't pin all our woes on silva

I honestly think people are overlooking how much investment this squad still needs. The likes of Simeone etc would have a hard time getting top 4 with us imo. Don't think Silva is the answer but I do think a lot of it has been bad luck. Can't pin all our woes on silva

No and I think the people at the top realise this, which is why they didnt pull the trigger as quickly as some would like.

I would imagine at this point they have some serious doubts, but there is no desire to "get Sam/Moyes back".

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back