Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
Thanks mate - likewise! ;)

Its my very strong suspicion!

It’s based on losses in the business mate, the main driver of our losses is wages, our wages bill is conservatively 85% of everything that comes into the club.
Appreciate the reply, was worried my answer scanned badly, like some flippant know it all.

The finance and accounting side of our club fascinates me because it feels relatable to my own experience in business where decisions were made in spite of cost until, suddenly, they weren't and the roof came caving in.

I wish I could find the words, but our lack of direction, profligacy and mismanagement just breaks my heart.

Appreciate the reply, was worried my answer scanned badly, like some flippant know it all.

The finance and accounting side of our club fascinates me because it feels relatable to my own experience in business where decisions were made in spite of cost until, suddenly, they weren't and the roof came caving in.

I wish I could find the words, but our lack of direction, profligacy and mismanagement just breaks my heart.

It’s the waste that breaks my heart mate, equaled with some of the lack of passion and heart. If you think in a good year we make 180 odd mill and 85% goes to the players we have and management, it’s an obscene lack of value underpinned by poor decision making and a lack of corporate governance.

From a footballing perspective, it’s an outlier as business’s go, in the sense that - take DCL, he essentially costs us nothing bar wages, but we could sell him for 100 million and a lot of sins are forgiven. It’s likely we had to cash an asset, after failing to do it last summer, so despite the spat with Benitez, Digne would have been low hanging fruit.

All the above dynamic however has to be analysed in the context of investment. We’ve invested 500 million in assets we hope appreciate, 200 odd million net. Those investments have yielded little return infact we give them away, 45 mill on Gylfi, 28 mill for Bolaise, 23 mill on Tosun, 20 mill on Walcott, 5 mill for Sandro, 1 mill Martina, 12 mill Niasse, 12 mill Ashley Williams - all walked away on frees with no fee coming to the club. That’s a hell of a lot of money spent for 0 return.

Then you have Klassen, Schnderlin, who we made massive losses on.

When you look around the club, there are maybe 3-4 players we could hope to make a profit on. It’s awful value for the investment and when you consider we are paying 85% of everything we earn to maintain the squad, it’s horrible value.

Unfortantely we’re a basket case and likely to be for a couple of years yet, that’s the optimistic scenario, if we get relegated we are banjoed. The football league are far less forgiving then the PL, look at Derby.

Last edited:
It’s the waste that breaks my heart mate, equaled with some of the lack of passion and heart. If you think in a good year we make 180 odd mill and 85% goes to the players we have and management, it’s an obscene lack of value underpinned by poor decision making and a lack of corporate governance.

From a footballing perspective, it’s an outlier as business’s go, in the sense that - take DCL, he essentially costs us nothing bar wages, but we could sell him for 100 million and a lot of sins are forgiven. It’s likely we had to cash an asset, after failing to do it last summer, so despite the spat with Benitez, Digne would have been low hanging fruit.

All the above dynamic however has to be analysed in the context of investment. We’ve invested 500 million in assets we hope appreciate, 200 odd million net. Those investments have yielded little return infact we give them away, 45 mill on Gylfi, 28 mill for Bolaise, 23 mill on Tosun, 20 mill on Walcott, 5 mill for Sandro, 1 mill Martina, 12 mill Niasse, 12 mill Ashley Williams - all walked away on frees with no fee coming to the club. That’s a hell of a lot of money spent for 0 return.

Then you have Klassen, Schnderlin, who we made massive losses on.

When you look around the club, there are maybe 3-4 players we could hope to make a profit on. It’s awful value for the investment and when you consider we are paying 85% of everything we earn to maintain the squad, it’s horrible value.

Unfortantely we’re a basket case and likely to be for a couple of years yet, that’s the optimistic scenario, if we get relegated we are banjoed. The football league are far less forgiving then the PL, look at Derby.
Simply put, this is the best summary of my feelings I've ever seen.

Simply put, this is the best summary of my feelings I've ever seen.

Its absolutely nothing that Everton represents mate, or at least never was, we’ve lost our culture, values and identity. It’s why we all feel so alienated.

Its really hard to identify with the club and team in the Moshiri years - to my mind anyway. I think most fans feel alienated.

We’re lost.

Its absolutely nothing that Everton represents mate, or at least never was, we’ve lost our culture, values and identity. It’s why all feel so alienated.

Its really hard to identify with the club and team in the Moshiri years - to my mind anyway. I think most fans feel alienated.

We’re lost.
It's one of those nebulous terms - identity - but I think you've nailed it.

I don't want to be Chelsea, Man City or some other money club. I want to remain Everton, I want to mean something.

I don't even like modern football, I avoid the champions league and fully prepare to boycott the next world cup. I would pay anything to be the bulwark against this rising tide. Sod it, ignore me, I just hate how we chased rainbows and became a laughingstock, cautionary tale.

I don't want to be Chelsea, Man City or some other money club. I want to remain Everton, I want to mean something.

I don't even like modern football, I avoid the champions league and fully prepare to boycott the next world cup. I would pay anything to be the bulwark against this rising tide. Sod it, ignore me, I just hate how we chased rainbows and became a laughingstock, cautionary tale.

Come and jump aboard the non league train mate.

We need a new chief exec. Owners are all mad but it’s the business management team that makes sure clubs are run well. We need someone who knows what their doing not just so the finances are better managed but so is the whole club from top to bottom. Back in the early 2000s St Helens were a shambles in Super League and they turned themselves round bringing in a new ceo who ripped everything up. Then they went on a run winning everything in sight because they brought in and developed the best players. We need someone who can do the same sort of thing for us and actually get something back for moshiri’s money. No idea why he hasn’t done that already.

A weird part of me feels sorry for City and Chelsea fans. It’s like their old clubs ended and it’s all that history and culture was just taken over by some nameless clonglomorate, like your favourite boozer taken over by Walmart. Maybe that’s we’re heading.….maybe we’re getting old giving out about change! lol

I feel the same tbh, won’t want the CL after the European Super League, international football has been fixed for years, for countries with big commercial football. It’s hard to find any sporting integrity in sport anymore, yet we keep coming back, maybe we’re searching, maybe we see a Leicester and we believe again, maybe it’s habit, or blind loyalty, but I can’t help - maybe like yourself - that the whole thing has become less like sport and more about how much resources your cooperation has or how well your business is run - is it even sport anymore, or is sport the misdirection or slight of hand, to keep the tills rolling and making rich men richer.

We need a new chief exec. Owners are all mad but it’s the business management team that makes sure clubs are run well. We need someone who knows what their doing not just so the finances are better managed but so is the whole club from top to bottom. Back in the early 2000s St Helens were a shambles in Super League and they turned themselves round bringing in a new ceo who ripped everything up. Then they went on a run winning everything in sight because they brought in and developed the best players. We need someone who can do the same sort of thing for us and actually get something back for moshiri’s money. No idea why he hasn’t done that already.
Because he has taken the counsel of Blue Bill from the very first day he arrived and continues to do so. And misty eyed Bill sees the success of the charitable and community side of our activities (some elements of which may be overblown by Bill's PR and media luvvies is my sense) and this skews his and by extension FM's view of the current encumbent CEO.

If the rumours are to be believed, FM had the option of hiring Terry Leahy as at least an interim CEO at some point after he retired from Tesco. Hard decisions would be more likely to have been made, folks held accountable as in a regular hard nosed enterprise and an old pals network of staff recruitment would be unlikely to have been tolerated. Instead we pursued the nepotistic internal promotion route. And this mediocrity then permeates the wider club.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back