Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
I think your recollection of Moyes' style betrays you.

We had some good players, yes. But he was a conservative manager and, by and large over 11 years, played percentage football and only rarely set up to go out and play with freedom.

Early days perhaps, when we were perineal relegation battlers, he had to keep us up, with no funds and a rag tag pick and mixed bunch.

But laterally he built some wonderful teams imatintively with some creative and expansive players, I mean Arteta, Baines, Pienaar, Cahill, Lescott, Donovan - did we even spend 10 mill - incredible, CL, Cup Finals, Europe most seasons.

The difference between Moyes and Martinez was Moyes built a club from nothing up, Martinez slipped into his shoes added Lukaku to his team year 1, then disemproved tinkering with it over the next seasons getting steadily lower in the table.

Like you say we have a different recollection, I don’t remember this expansive open stuff we allegedly had under Martinez, I remember, crab like play with no purprose and largely no outcome, becoming powderpuff and massively poor defensively and steadily declining. Often think he ruined Barkley as well by over indulging him.

It’s amazing the labels, Moyes to my mind played far more entertainingly and expansively then Martinez.

Be interesting to see what they both would have done with more money though.

Sadly since Moyes left, Moshiri has burned everything Moyes built to the ground.

Last edited:
Lampard was all he had left.
Martinez, ruled out by Belgium
Potter, ruled himself out.
Rooney, ruled himself out.
Ferguson, said he ruled himself out, but wasn't really in contention
Pereira, fans ruled him out.
What about Kovac and Favre? What about the Lille Manager Galtier last summer?
They were all available and Moshiri appears to have not enquired about any of them.
I’m not against Lampard at all. I think he comes across well and has surrounded himself with a decent back room staff.
Just hope he can sort us out

This hitchen guy. I don't know his credentials but I doubt he's got better ones than brands. In fact the whole running of this club has been poor.

If we do stay up this season which I would say is a 2 in 3 chance. Then I'm not totally convinced next season will be much better. I'm behind the Lampard regime because he's likable but has he really got the credentials to keep us up at this time.

When they made the decision to hire benitez they really should have let him see through the job and not given up at the first sign of trouble against Norwich. He had massive injury problems all season and could have only dreamed to have the bench we had against Newcastle. I think he would have got us at least 2 points from our last 2 prem games, more than likely more than that.

People may like to stick to their agendas and say he is crap etc but realistically he was better prepared for our run in than anyone and I would have had full faith in him seeing it through. But the board pulled the trigger and now I think we are in massive trouble. If we get relegated then that will just be catastrophic for the club and we may never come back or at least for a very long time.
If he'd been sacked when he should have been or, even better, not appointed at all, we wouldn't be in the mess we currently are. Of all Moshiri's I'll advised ideas, hiring Benitez was probably the most bizarre of them all

If he'd been sacked when he should have been or, even better, not appointed at all, we wouldn't be in the mess we currently are. Of all Moshiri's I'll advised ideas, hiring Benitez was probably the most bizarre of them all
There's something that's always nagged at me about Benitez's hiring. Put aside all the past connections and obvious divisions his appointment would create. But, what had he shown that warranted the job and the subsequent unconditional backing?

The Digne deal makes absolutely no sense less than 48 hours later, would we be better served by Brands or an empty scouting department in January? Why was Benitez so backed until, suddenly, he wasn't.

Moshiri has so much to answer for, I curse the day he rocked up here.

There's something that's always nagged at me about Benitez's hiring. Put aside all the past connections and obvious divisions his appointment would create. But, what had he shown that warranted the job and the subsequent unconditional backing?

The Digne deal makes absolutely no sense less than 48 hours later, would we be better served by Brands or an empty scouting department in January? Why was Benitez so backed until, suddenly, he wasn't.

Not you too Bohemian ! ?

The Digne deal was very stupid, but there is more then meets the eye to the deal and the Brands departure in my opinion. Yet I believe as yet its not acknowedged.

By March last year we had to notify the PL whether we would be in breach of cost and sustainability rules over a three year period - which we almost certainly are.

I think as yet unacknowldged by being in breach the PL now has oversight of our budget, I.e. they have implemented cost controls on us - which is one of the sanctions of the rules. Essentially the PL give us our Bugdet and have to stay in limits and get clearance to complete any deals. I believe this will eventually be acknowledged.

Which bring us to Bernard, Brands, Digne and Jamo, in order to create space in our budget and cash flow, all have been moved on.

No mate. The first season we used a new approach playing out the back and it worked because others didn't expect it and we did it very well.

Second and third seasons the opposition pressed us more and it failed...it was the right thing to continue to do, but because the players in defence we had weren't good enough to adapt to the press it failed.

Martinez should have demanded a complete overhaul of the backline in the summer of 2014/15, but he didn't and he kept the same players believing he could get them to adapt. That was a costly error.
Yup the defenders he was responsible for bringing to the club were in the main a raging success weren’t they (?), Alcaraz, Mori, Galloway, they wouldn’t even get in todays back 4/5 which is saying something! Throw in the likes of Besic, Niasse, Kone, Cleverley etc and it’s not a great record for “demanding” signings!
And before you say it I’ll give him credit for Lukaku and Barry, and 72 points but the fact remains he’d more than likely have relegated us as would Benitez who you supported up to 3 weeks ago!

The Digne deal was very stupid, but there is more then meets the eye to the deal and the Brands departure in my opinion. Yet I believe as yet its not acknowedged.

By March last year we had to notify the PL whether we would be in breach of cost and sustainability rules over a three year period - which we almost certainly are.

I think as yet unacknowldged by being in breach the PL now has oversight of our budget, I.e. they have implemented cost controls on us - which is one of the sanctions of the rules. Essentially the PL give us our Bugdet and have to stay in limits and get clearance to complete any deals. I believe this will eventually be acknowledged.

Which bring us to Bernard, Brands, Digne and Jamo, in order to create space in our budget and cash flow, all have been moved on.
I bow to your knowledge; you're one of my favourite posters here, but would Brands salary, departure be relevant to FFP?

I assumed, with absolutely zero research, FFP was limited to playing staff.

Apologies for my ignorance.

Early days perhaps, when we were perineal relegation battlers, he had to keep us up, with no funds and a rag tag pick and mixed bunch.

But laterally he built some wonderful teams imatintively with some creative and expansive players, I mean Arteta, Baines, Pienaar, Cahill, Lescott, Donovan - did we even spend 10 mill - incredible, CL, Cup Finals, Europe most seasons.

The difference between Moyes and Martinez was Moyes built a club from nothing up, Martinez slipped into his shoes added Lukaku to his team year 1, then disemproved tinkering with it over the next seasons getting steadily lower in the table.

Like you say we have a different recollection, I don’t remember this expansive open stuff we allegedly had under Martinez, I remember, crab like play with no purprose and largely no outcome, becoming powderpuff and massively poor defensively and steadily declining. Often think he ruined Barkley as well by over indulging him.

It’s amazing the labels, Moyes to my mind played far more entertainingly and expansively then Martinez.

Be interesting to see what they both would have done with more money though.

Sadly since Moyes left, Moshiri has burned everything Moyes built to the ground.

I bow to your knowledge; you're one of my favourite posters here, but would Brands salary, departure be relevant to FFP?

I assumed, with absolutely zero research, FFP was limited to playing staff.

Apologies for my ignorance.

Thanks mate - likewise! ;)

Its my very strong suspicion!

It’s based on losses in the business mate, the main driver of our losses is wages our wage bill is conservatively 85% of everything that comes into the club.

Last edited:

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back