Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
Sure he inherited the defenders left by Moyes, and played pretty much the same style for the first season, ie, not hoofball.
Then came the calm passing game, ie, passive football.
Then all other teams knew our game-plan, ie, sit and watch us passing it in our own half 0-1 down deep into stoppage time.
I recall being 4-0 down at Analfield with something like a possession rate of 68%, and El Loco wasn't overly concerned.
I recall being apoplectic with the whole banal reasoning behind such idiotic tactics.
If that's what a passing game does for a team, I think the Moyes defensive approach was far more preferable.
No mate. The first season we used a new approach playing out the back and it worked because others didn't expect it and we did it very well.

Second and third seasons the opposition pressed us more and it failed...it was the right thing to continue to do, but because the players in defence we had weren't good enough to adapt to the press it failed.

Martinez should have demanded a complete overhaul of the backline in the summer of 2014/15, but he didn't and he kept the same players believing he could get them to adapt. That was a costly error.

He came in and sacked a man who'd just got us to 2 domestic cup SFs and committed the massive sin of finishing mid-table.

He should have had the sense to realise that backing Martinez with a lot of money would get a decent league position and a chance of silverware.

Would you take Davey back mate, he got us to Cup finals and the CL…..

No mate. The first season we used a new approach playing out the back and it worked because others didn't expect it and we did it very well.

Second and third seasons the opposition pressed us more and it failed...it was the right thing to continue to do, but because the players in defence we had weren't good enough to adapt to the press it failed.

Martinez should have demanded a complete overhaul of the backline in the summer of 2014/15, but he didn't and he kept the same players believing he could get them to adapt. That was a costly error.
Why are you talking about a manager that hasnt had a job since he was sacked by us Dave?

Would you take Davey back mate, he got us to Cup finals and the CL…..
No, for a number of reasons.

- he had his time here and by and large it was dull as ditch water to watch
- the manner of his departure when he insulted the club
- his *success* here was on the basis of not much cash to spend and getting time to build a team...and that scenario has changed completely

- his *success* here was on the basis of not much cash to spend and getting time to build a team...and that scenario has changed completely
I do kind of agree with the way he left us and some dour football, I was one who said don’t want him anywhere near our club again, but in hindsight (I know) I’d have snapped him up after Carlo left

The bad press he gets for his style of football, is totally over blown mate, we played some great stuff under him, with prob our most creative players since the 80s.

Familiarity often breeds contempt and he was here so long, people just wanted change - if I remember rightly, though fair point on his departure, though I’d think he owes Everton nothing.

We have different recollections of Moyes and Martinez style, ultimately with Martinez, we became soft, style was crab and dull offensively progressively, players were indulged and we were defensively naieve. Season on season disimprovement if my memory is right.

Still be interesting to see what both would do with the money, that’s been spent, though Davey probably wouldn’t spend it. Even though I’d have him back here in a heartbeat.

The bad press he gets for his style of football, is totally over blown mate, we played some great stuff under him, with prob our most creative players since the 80s.

Familiarity often breeds contempt and he was here so long, people just wanted change - if I remember rightly, though fair point on his departure, though I’d think he owes Everton nothing.

We have different recollections of Moyes and Martinez style, ultimately with Martinez, we became soft, style was crab and dull offensively progressively, players were indulged and we were defensively naieve. Season on season disimprovement if my memory is right.

Still be interesting to see what both would do with the money, that’s been spent, though Davey probably wouldn’t spend it. Even though I’d have him back here in a heartbeat.
I think your recollection of Moyes' style betrays you.

We had some good players, yes. But he was a conservative manager and, by and large over 11 years, played percentage football and only rarely set up to go out and play with freedom.

The only reason he isn't here is that he wasn't going to do the job PT.
Imagine Martinez only doing half a job.

lollollollol

Anyway, no manager since Moyes has been given enough time to implement his style and given total control of the football club and no manager has ever failed as hard as he did, 11th, twice, with 1 of the best Strikers in world football leading the line.

If Martinez is the answer, I would hate to read the question.

Imagine Martinez only doing half a job.

lollollollol

Anyway, no manager since Moyes has been given enough time to implement his style and given total control of the football club and no manager has ever failed as hard as he did, 11th, twice, with 1 of the best Strikers in world football leading the line.

If Martinez is the answer, I would hate to read the question.
Moyes near relegated us.

Martinez in three years: 5th, 11th, 11th, 2 SFs of cups, last 16 in Europe = a golden age in comparison with the last 6 years since his departure.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back