Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
There are no simple answers to our finances but there are three things that need to happen

1) We need to find new commercial sponsors/partners and the income needs to be more than our previous deals
2) We need to substantially reduce the size of our squad and the wages we pay to average football players.
3) We need to start selling players for proper fees, and stop the constant exodus of players from the club on free transfers.
1) God yes, but as I said the other week, if we cant get terms greater than we had, somebody needs sacking, the problem will be that the majority of the USM was way above market value.
2) The squad could do with a slight trim, but the issue is wholesale outs, for little money, will leave us without money to replace.
3) We generally sell players that clubs want for good money, the issue is that nobody is paying good money for very bad players on massive wages.

Important points to note regarding the wages point....

We ran a 30 June 2021 year end. Since this date, we have sold James, Digne, Bernard, Kean (possibly, not sure on loan terms). Also, Walcott, Bolasie, King, Benningime, Besic, Olsen, Pennington have left the club.

We have added some players yes, but I'd say the overall figure of wages is likely to have reduced, possibly by a good amount. The problem is it still needs to drop a lot further, and the days of long term contracts with 6 figures a week need to be over at this club.
Good points and this summer with Sigurdsson, Delph, Kenny and Tosun out the door were probably another £300k ish better off.

I think 2024 is the year when we are fully in the clear unless there are alot of sales this and next summer of course.

He had a debate with the esk on twitter,and at the end said the esk was right and we wouldn’t be deduced points

I dont have twitter but do you have a link to it?

1) God yes, but as I said the other week, if we cant get terms greater than we had, somebody needs sacking, the problem will be that the majority of the USM was way above market value.
2) The squad could do with a slight trim, but the issue is wholesale outs, for little money, will leave us without money to replace.
3) We generally sell players that clubs want for good money, the issue is that nobody is paying good money for very bad players on massive wages.

Sorting point 2, makes point 3 a lot easier, of course.

To be honest I'm not sure we would have no money after a massive overhaul. We would probably save an absolute ton on wages. We would just have to go into the loan and free agent market, or low fees from lower leagues or lesser leagues. I see this as a positive step at this stage because we've lost the plot in recent years with our recruitment.

I dont see massive savings myself.

Of course these are made up and ive missed a few names, but still.

Bolasie 70k
Walcott 100k
Bernard 120k
Hamez 200k
Digne 80k

El Ghazi 60k
Beeky 90k
Rondon 80k
Townsend 100k
Alli 100k
Gray 80k
Patterson 30k
Myko 30k

Of course my figures are made up and not accurate.
Mate, James was on 840k a week so your figures are way out.

I dont see massive savings myself.

Of course these are made up and ive missed a few names, but still.

Bolasie 70k
Walcott 100k
Bernard 120k
Hamez 200k
Digne 80k

El Ghazi 60k
Beeky 90k
Rondon 80k
Townsend 100k
Alli 100k
Gray 80k
Patterson 30k
Myko 30k

Of course my figures are made up and not accurate.
Think you might be over estimating some of those wages. Townsend was on 50k pw at Palace

£170m of losses due to covid over two years brings loses under the magic figure for sanctions.
I’m a bit skeptical this will be accepted by the PL. because, turnover last year was about £190m and the club is claiming it’s lost nearly half its revenue over a two year period.
That seems … unlikely, and (I might be wrong) much higher than other clubs are claiming.

I am not 100% familiar with the rules, however how can we be so confident that we are not in breach of the financial rules given the last 3 year accounts? I appreciate their is the stadium investment which is allowed, and I expect a relaxation due to COVID, however we are still buying players despite the accounts.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back